Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IE7 bogged down in Vista

• 02-07-2009 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

i recently had vista with service pack 1 installed on my pc and now when i use ie7 it gets kinda bogged down or something.
    i open up a window and its fast and responsive for the first few minutes.
    for example ill come here to boards, login look at a few threads and then it grinds to a halt when i try to click another link...
    ie isnt freezing completely

then if i open another window its fast and responsive.
    i can even copy and paste the link from the address bar on the unresponsive page paste it into the address bar on the new window i opened it will open it up straight away!

theres very little other software on the pc so theres nothing else connecting to the net.
    its a good spec pc aswell, ibm thinkcentre

any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

dysfunct wrote: »
    i recently had vista with service pack 1 installed on my pc and now when i use ie7 it gets kinda bogged down or something.
    i open up a window and its fast and responsive for the first few minutes.
    for example ill come here to boards, login look at a few threads and then it grinds to a halt when i try to click another link...
    ie isnt freezing completely

then if i open another window its fast and responsive.
    i can even copy and paste the link from the address bar on the unresponsive page paste it into the address bar on the new window i opened it will open it up straight away!

theres very little other software on the pc so theres nothing else connecting to the net.
    its a good spec pc aswell, ibm thinkcentre

any ideas?
    Try this please:

Open IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset > Close > Apply > Ok > Close IE.

Now open up IE again, if a wizard pops up, just select "Ask Me Later" and do the following:

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Untick "Enabled Third Party Browser Extensions" and tick "Disable Phishing Filter" > Apply > Ok > Close IE.

Now restart IE and you will see a huge increase in performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dysfunct

Hey, thanks for the tips cpu-dude

I tried them but it IE is still very slow after a few minutes use...

Is there anything else i could try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

firefox 3.5

stanley1 wrote: »
    firefox 3.5

Hardly a fix though is it? More a workaround, it's like covering up the low oil pressure light on your car with a piece of tape. The problem is still there but you don't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

IE8 perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

kaimera wrote: »
    IE8 perhaps?

sucks even more.

firefox all the way...miles better than IE.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No strong opinion about IE8. I need it for work. Firefox is always great for home use though imho. Set up a restore point, install IE8, and see if it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭lucideer

Install IE8 AND use another browser.

That (a) fixes your problem rather than "covering the low oil pressure light in your car with a piece of tape", (b) keeps your computer secure as Vista uses the IE engine for other things too - IE8 has the latest patches IE7 doesn't and (c) gets you using a half decent browser (even if it's just Firefox, it's still a good deal better than IE)

Another good idea is to uninstall all of IEs plugins. If you're not using them they're an extra potential source of bugs and instability (and a very common one at that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dysfunct

howdy, i found the solution through looking at another problem

it was caused by vistas autotuning feature

heres the steps if anyones interested.
    1: Click on the Start menu and type cmd in the search box. Type CTR+SHIFT+ENTER to tell the command prompt to open with elevated privileges.

2: In the command prompt window, type netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable and hit Enter

3: After getting the OK returned in the command prompt window, restart your pc/laptop to activate the change.

If the change doesn’t help, you can always revert by going though the same process, but instead, use the command:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Huzzah!

• Advertisement
Advertisement