Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A3 1.6 fsi v 1.9TDI

• 02-07-2009 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭

I've been looking to get an A3 1.6fsi for the last year or so. I haven't really been looking that hard as I am in no rush. Unfortunately, I need to get a 5 door so 1.6fsi's seem to be thin on the ground.

I'm thinking of expanding my search to 1.9tdi....would these cars be similar to drive and would there be much difference in the mpg? Anyone got experience of these v 1.6fsi?

I've never driven a diesel car before. I had a spin in a mates 2.0 diesel last night and was impressed although they are a bit too powerful for my needs. I probably will only do about 10-12k miles a year.

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

just bumping this, anyone?

Many thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Diesel will be maybe up to 50% lighter on fuel, but will cost more. 1.9tdi is a bit coarse too.

A3's in general are over rated, and over priced. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

what do you mean by 'coarse' , rough to drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

By coarse, he mean unrefined. i.e. you will be in no doubt that it is a diesel. Its a fine engine otherwise.

The 1.9 will prob cost more to buy, will cost more to tax and insure. It will be more economical though.

Try both - they will deliver the power differently - see which you prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

the 1.9tdi is an old VW engine that you'll find in many cars like Seat's Skoda's & a whole myriad of VW cars even up to Passat's.

Its been ever popular because its delivered good performance with good fuel economy & good reliability also.

However as mentioned that engine is pretty much reaching its end of life compared to newer generation engines. The noise of the engine is a bit "agricultural".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

If you are going for the diesel, go for the 2.0TDI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Moanin wrote: »
    If you are going for the diesel, go for the 2.0TDI.

..and if you're going for the A3, go for the Golf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

pburns wrote: »
    ..and if you're going for the A3, go for the Golf...

And if you're going for the Golf, go for a Leon:P

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mini mouse

i just got an a3 2 weeks ago!
    test drove petrol and diesel ones.... i had never driven a diesel either...all 3dr though!
    the petrol ones were quicker than i thought they would be....1.6 in a heavy car!
    I didnt drive the 1.9tdi, but I ended up getting the 2.0 tdi sport..... the most powerful car ive had is a 1.6 mini , it was a little hard to get used to the extra power ( i learned not to put the foot down in 3rd when its wet) , but now i love it, you dont even have to change out of 6th gear to pass out! so economical, im getting about 100miles to €10 .....very comfy and just easy to drive!
    To me it just made more sense to get the 2.0litre diesel, power, economy, hold their value, reliable - mine has 80k and drives like new tbh!

looks wise if i needed a 5dr car though id opt for the a4?

best of luck with your search! let us know what you find!!

Advertisement