Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E71

• 02-07-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry in advance if this has already been posted but I cannot find it.

I am planning to upgrade my Vodafone Prepay phone to a Nokia E71.

Has anyone got one? If so what are the good and bad points of it.

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

i'll start with the bad points, mmm, sorry can't think of any, go for it, best phone out at the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its probably in the top 5 of all nokia phones, quite highly regarded. Have you had a similar full qwerty phone before? Do you know that its replacement, the E72 is on the way? Its mostly the same with a few improvements, like better memory, camera and battery. Ofcourse the e71 is fine, and will be a lot cheaper, and wont have to wait.

Doing a seach will show you loads of coverage on the E71.

3examples:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055606529
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055604288
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055601343

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Bad points may be

Non standard headphone jack
    Average camera
    Poor video by new phone standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

long_b wrote: »
    Bad points may be

Non standard headphone jack
    Average camera
    Poor video by new phone standards.

All fixed in the e72 :D

Ye i despise 2.5mm headphone jacks, good riddance

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Great phone but Vodafone and O2 have dropped it for some reason. I think Meteor still have it but maybe not for long. The nokia e75 would a much nicer phone to go for imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Great phone but Vodafone and O2 have dropped it for some reason. I think Meteor still have it but maybe not for long. The nokia e75 would a much nicer phone to go for imo

Still on o2 website anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Davy wrote: »
    All fixed in the e72 :D

Ye i despise 2.5mm headphone jacks, good riddance

Calling that a bit early i'd say. Camera could still be rubbish and video is max at 15fps. Still this is looking like it could be my next phone. Depending on two things 1)Still need to check if the pre's build quality is as bad as some say 2) hero's - lack of a radio- is something i'd miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Ya website and store stock are seperate so chances are it's still available online.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Still on o2 website anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

I'm considering getting this phone SIM-free from Amazon. I want to use my current O2 prepay SIM and may get a separate SIM for use in the UK.

I'd prefer the phone to come unlocked but would it be better to order the phone from O2 (or another Irish network)?

Could there be any difficulties with 3G features?

Could I use WiFi to connect to MSN messenger & Skype on this phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

burgess1 wrote: »
    Could there be any difficulties with 3G features?
    Nope, the UK and Ireland use the same frequency bands, it will work perfectly.

Edit : Amazon UK or US? I'm not sure if either of them would actually ship a phone to Ireland ... there are alternatives like www.Expansys.ie and Clove.co.uk though. Also, keep an eye out on Adverts.ie ;)
    Could I use WiFi to connect to MSN messenger & Skype on this phone?

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

Baza210 wrote: »
    Edit : Amazon UK or US? I'm not sure if either of them would actually ship a phone to Ireland ... there are alternatives like www.Expansys.ie and Clove.co.uk though. Also, keep an eye out on Adverts.ie ;)

Amazon.co.uk - I ordered a printer from them before and had no problems.

Yes, I know they ship electronics, but I think they make an exception with mobile phones. Not sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

i'll start with the bad points, mmm, sorry can't think of any, go for it, best phone out at the moment...

True!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Seriously: excellent phone. Camera is rubbish, but for the odd snapshot it'll do fine.
    Yep, the earphone jack socket is 2.5mm, but if you need the phone for music, you can either buy a 1 euro adapter for your own earphones or you can buy Sennheiser earphones with a 2.5 jack. The sound itself is actually good once you use good earphones...
    Otherwise it IS the best phone out there. BGR called it the 'best phone Nokia ever made'! And for once they were totally right!

If only this were the 1990s when Nokia being the best mobile manufacturer wasn't a ridiculous notion. Heck, Nokia's OS is still stuck in the 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Why not go for Nokia N95 8GB?
    I'm selling mine. It's absolutely perfect. About 1 year old. Ticks all the boxes!

r1

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlows

I have a N95 and it great. Good camera and fantastic memory

Advertisement