Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile Speed Cameras

• 02-07-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭

so there I was driving on the inside lane of the 3 lane carrigeway coming out of dublin, it's a 100km zone for a few miles. Low and behold there was a transit pulled in on the verge. Must have passed it at 110 - 114km.
    Should I be expecting something in the post, remember I was in the slow lane and was been overtaken by cars in both other lanes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Should I be expecting something in the post, remember I was in the slow lane and was been overtaken by cars in both other lanes.

All depends on who is operating the camera inside. They may have selected you, or may have locked on to the cars passing you at speed.

All you can do is wait and see. I think it's normally 2-3 weeks before you get the letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

so there I was driving on the inside lane of the 3 lane carrigeway coming out of dublin, it's a 100km zone for a few miles. Low and behold there was a transit pulled in on the verge. Must have passed it at 110 - 114km.

I got 2 tickets on the same day along this stretch recently so probably YES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Why were you speeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

KK what speed were you doing, I was only tipping along or so I thought till I looked down and saw 114km/ph

Why were you speeding?

I wasn't some nob end stuck a 100km per hour speed limit in a stupid place and the Garda are milking it for the revenue comissioner, I wasn't speeding, it's complete entraptment on that part of the road..

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    All depends on who is operating the camera inside. They may have selected you, or may have locked on to the cars passing you at speed.

So there's a real person there, I just thought it snapped every reg, I was been over taken by a punto in the middle lane and somebody going really quick in the outside lane, might be ok then...hopefully..

I wasn't some nob end stuck a 100km per hour speed limit in a stupid place and the Garda are milking it for the revenue comissioner, I wasn't speeding, it's complete entraptment on that part of the road..

But you said above you were speeding (doing 110-114kph in a 100kph zone). That's speeding.

You may disagree with the speed limit, but that's a different issue.

But you said above you were speeding (doing 110-114kph in a 100kph zone). That's speeding.

That's not fast at all, especially on a 3 lane road..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Why were you speeding?

Why do you post un-helpful comments?

At 110k odds are you were only doing 100k as the speedo can over read by about 10pc.

Its unlikely you will get done but as above it will depend on the operator.

I wasn't saying it was fast, but it was speeding (doing above the posted limit).

You'll just have to wait and see if the fine/points come in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

In your opinion, so bloody what ??
    You were speeding, end of story. and not be 2 or 3% but potentially up to 14% over the prescribed limit.

If the camera focused on you, you will get a fine and 2 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Unhelpful maybe, but I was trying to open the OP eyes to the fact that he was indeed speeding, drive 10km/h less and he doesn't have to dread the postman for the next fortnight.

At 110k odds are you were only doing 100k as the speedo can over read by about 10pc.

Its unlikely you will get done but as above it will depend on the operator.

The comment made (question asked) was probably about as pointless as this thread to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

N7 yeah?

How do you sleep at night dude? 114 km/h on that stretch of road? That is lethal in my opinion. 3 Lanes? Think of the consequences of your actions. What would happen if a child ran out in front of you and you couldnt stop because you were going 14 km/h extra over that limit? Think about it. That child could have survived if you had hit him at 100 km/h. But no, Mr. Impatient couldnt keep his foot off the throttle and had to speed. How can you live with yourself? Speeding is reckless and selfish and I despise everyone who ever commits such a heinous crime.

114 km/h? you're probably fine. Depends on who's inside and ya wont see the flash during the day, but factor in your speedo being slightly out and the margin that you will be given anyway... I reckon you'll be ok.

ottostreet wrote: »
    N7 yeah?

How do you sleep at night dude? 114 km/h on that stretch of road? That is lethal in my opinion. 3 Lanes? Think of the consequences of your actions. What would happen if a child ran out in front of you and you couldnt stop because you were going 14 km/h extra over that limit? Think about it. That child could have survived if you had hit him at 100 km/h. But no, Mr. Impatient couldnt keep his foot off the throttle and had to speed. How can you live with yourself? Speeding is reckless and selfish and I despise everyone who ever commits such a heinous crime.

114 km/h? you're probably fine. Depends on who's inside and ya wont see the flash during the day, but factor in your speedo being slightly out and the margin that you will be given anyway... I reckon you'll be ok.

It doesn't matter a damn if you agree or disagree with any speed limit. Its there, if you break it and get caught, you have no excuses and no arguement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

What then would you class as speeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

would i spot the flash on these gatso vans cameras in a well lit area at night time? also how close do you get to the van before it flashes? cheers

I_am_Jebus wrote: »
    It doesn't matter a damn if you agree or disagree with any speed limit. Its there, if you break it and get caught, you have no excuses and no arguement.

I never said I agreed or disagreed with a speed limit. I have broken speed limits before and been caught, and I have no qualms about the gardais judgements. However, I also have no personal problems with people being caught speeding. On national roads and motorways I must specify. Speeding on regional roads and towns etc. is still a no-no. However, the N7 is a three lane road, is very wide, with good visibility, and is the main road to the south-east out of Dublin. 114 km/h is a perfectly reasonable speed to be doing, and I see no reason for anyone to be getting up on their high horse about it.

samsamson wrote: »
    would i spot the flash on these gatso vans cameras in a well lit area at night time? also how close do you get to the van before it flashes? cheers

Probably not. I think they have low light cameras, so only in very dark areas would they need to use flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

thanks, and does the operator sit in the driver's seat or does he move to work the camera?

• Advertisement

ottostreet wrote: »
    I never said I agreed or disagreed with a speed limit. I have broken speed limits before and been caught, and I have no qualms about the gardais judgements. However, I also have no personal problems with people being caught speeding. On national roads and motorways I must specify. Speeding on regional roads and towns etc. is still a no-no. However, the N7 is a three lane road, is very wide, with good visibility, and is the main road to the south-east out of Dublin. 114 km/h is a perfectly reasonable speed to be doing, and I see no reason for anyone to be getting up on their high horse about it.

I'm not on a high horse. I've peno points myself for speeding.
    My point is, is that there is no point going on about road conditions, visibility, what YOU or ME think is safe. This has been done to death on these boards. Speed Limits are there, if you don;t abide by them you may get caught and if you do you'll get punished.

Pointless thread really. No one can tell the OP if the camera etc.. was focused on him.

All we can tell him/her is that he was breaking the speed limit by (in terms of enforcement) a considerable amount and he is wide open to be caught and done for a speeding offence. And he should know that. What more info can be provided on the thread. Its pointless going down the road of, the level of dangerousness of the speed compared to the limit etc.

I_am_Jebus wrote: »
    All we can tell him/her is that he was breaking the speed limit by (in terms of enforcement) a considerable amount and he is wide open to be caught and done for a speeding offence. And he should know that. What more info can be provided on the thread. Its pointless going down the road of, the level of dangerousness of the speed compared to the limit etc.

Well thats reasonable. I think we can agree on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Once again the self righteous PC keyboard warriors destroys a motoring thread.

Once again the self righteous PC keyboard warriors destroys a motoring thread.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Probably not. I think they have low light cameras, so only in very dark areas would they need to use flash.

A few weeks ago I was heading in past Fox & Geese on a saturday morning and the Gatso van was pulled in there snapping the motorists blissfully hooring along at 70, 80+ kmph.
    It was a reasonably bright Saturday morning and there was definitely a flash from the back of the van each time a car zoomed by. I think I was the only car out of a group of 7 or 8 that was doing the speed limit there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

My car is a cheap piece of **** and I always figured it'd be doing a good bit below what it shows on the speedo.

Gone past a few of those mobile speed warning things(with the big LED screens that tells you your current speed vs maximum) as well as recently borrowing a satnav and found out my speedo is around 98% accurate.

So don't rely on your speedo being out!

Advertisement