Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student feature length film makes history at the 2009 Galway Film Fleadh...

Options
  • 02-07-2009 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi guys,

For all of you interested, an historic Irish feature length film that was entirely produced by students has secured a slot at the prestigious Galway Film Fleadh for the first time in the festival's 21-year history.

'Six Semesters', a romantic comedy, is written and directed by DCU graduate John McKeown and took the best part of two years to complete. It was filmed when John and a bulk of the cast and production team were in their final year at university and is set to play in the Wildcard category of the festival on Thursday, 9th July.

The film is set over three years of a college degree course and centres on Eddie (Dallan McCormick), and his somewhat unique, entrepreneurial part-time job - breaking up couples. However, his somewhat suspicious view of love and romance takes an interesting turn when Ailbhe (Marie-Claire Hoey) a girl he meets on the very first day of college, begins to feature heavily in his complicated life.

Hopefully, some of you might be interested in catching the movie, especially if you're heading to the festival next week. It will play in the Cinemobile, outside Galway Town Hall at 4pm next Thursday, 9th July.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The trailer is on YouTube and it's sh*te.
    What exactly is 'historic' about a student feature anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Is the OP the director? and to second, whats historic about it? it does look awful as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

The trailer doesn't look very good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Yes the trailer looked rubbish and the sound was ****e but fair play to them for getting off their arses and making a feature in the first place.. even if it does look like total bollox. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

It looks like utter pants. The bloke being intervied loos weird. There is something strange about his head. Maybe they shoukd of made a film about the elephant man visiting DCU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Not loving the trailer:(

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

starn wrote: »
    It looks like utter pants. The bloke being intervied loos weird. There is something strange about his head. Maybe they shoukd of made a film about the elephant man visiting DCU

he looks like the girl from the playstation ad a few years back with the wonky head and he makes a weird face at 21 seconds into the trailer..i'm not goin to see it cus of that

I’m always suspicious of the quality of a movie when the trailer for it doesn’t actually show any footage from the movie itself. :eek:

Whatever about students shooting on crapy DV, but poor sound is a deal breaker for me.

Don't they teach sound design in film schools anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

paulieeye wrote: »
    he makes a weird face at 21 seconds into the trailer..i'm not goin to see it cus of that

30258290.jpg

Hmm, that face does seem a bit off there. If it did make it into the Galway Film Fleadh well then fair play to them but I wouldn't be holding out judging by that "trailer". The sound is quite poor too.

And "romantic comedy"? Oh..............whoopee!

I'm not going to see it because:
    • it's being screened in Galway and anywhere outside of Dublin is a dump
    • it looks absolute crap
    • it seems to have been made by the younger generation with too much self esteem but zero talent
    • it's just a sh*tty student DV movie that would waste an hour and a half of your life
    • it's overhyped by the OP as if it's going to be 'historic' - Ireland's first Western would be considered this - not another lame rom com
    • it's being screened in the CineMobile instead of in one of the larger venues at the festival

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wouldn't mind seeing a trailer with actual footage from the actual film.

The trailer might as well have been a short in itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

student film + romantic comedy?

Fair play and all that.

Sounds historic.

Trailer looks quite poor and the idea has been done to death.

I don't see how it's that big of a deal that it was financed and made by students. There are thousands of student films around the world that are big hits at festivals around the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Well fair play for making the film and getting it into the Film Fleadh. Although the Cinemobile is not exactly Friday night at the Town Hall Theater.

As mentioned by others the trailer looks poorly produced and the plot outline sounds really cliched. Its a pity. As students you had 2 years to come up with something really original. This sort of banality might work for Adam Sandler but low budget films need a really good catch to make up for the lack of resources. This doesn't appear to have it.

A good example of low budget student film with a totally novel plotline would be this: Man Bites Dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Nolanger wrote: »
    anywhere in Dublin is a dump

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

You did yourself a bad service by advertising this film here because we're all begrudgers! Seriously, no-one wants to see a home movie where you all have fun with your classmates in DCU. There's a few other films getting screened in the CineMobile at the GFF and their trailers look much better on YouTube.
    Still, fair play for making a cheap feature and getting the thing screened. At least you didn't waste €20,000 making a 10 minute short which is what most budding filmmakers do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I don't see how it's that big of a deal that it was financed and made by students. There are thousands of student films around the world that are big hits at festivals around the world.

True, but there are hundreds of thousands of student movies that are truly awful! (some of which, i made! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KaNdL

"Six Semesters".

Who do they think they are, American?

Thats the problem with Irish films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KaNdL

Hey, I found another teaser on youtube. Sound is just as bad, if not worse.

Found these as well. It's a behind-the-scenes documentry. Just shows a bunch of w**ker students larking about if you ask me.

Thats hardly fair. There's people out there genuinely trying to make it into the industry. And this load of wasters make it into a festival. The people at "Ireland's leading film festival" (please note sarcastic quotation marks) are really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Ever heard of radio mic's?
    Headshots aren't matched at all in the first trailer.
    Your video editor must take a lot of speed. Those wipes etc are cheesy.
    Picture quality is terrible. Is this what they teach you in college these days?

I assisted on better quality low-budget student films than this rubbish in the 1980s with only vhs, 8mm and old nagras. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

And this is the reason I left DCU's multimedia course after being there for one year back in 2004.

What a bunch of wan*ers in those videos.
    Glad I got very high points in the LC so I didn't have to waste time going to a crap Uni like DCU!

God we're all a bunch of begrudging nerds! :D

Good old nagras, record sound better then any piece of digital ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Nolanger wrote: »
    Glad I got very high points in the LC so I didn't have to waste time going to a crap Uni like DCU!

Actually, when I went there the number of points required was 460 or something to get in. So the entry requirements were quite high.

The problem is that the course is just shyte. As are most, if not all, creative courses in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

This thread is just flamebait... No need for it to continue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement