Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having A Big Brain Is Just Plain Nutty.

Options
  • 02-07-2009 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

The discovery of a 54 million year old primate skull looks set to challenge long accepted ideas about why our brains are so large.
    By scanning a 54-million-year-old skull roughly the size of a walnut, scientists have created the first virtual 3-D model of an early primate brain, a new study says.

Surprisingly, the model suggests that primates (such as lemurs, monkeys, apes, and humans, among others) might have evolved larger brains as a result of the need to move quickly from tree to tree—not, as commonly assumed, to hunt for fruit or navigate within a single tree

Full article here:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/06/090630-tiny-skull-big-brains.html

I find it mad that this little critter(Ignacius graybullianus)'s brain is roughly teh size of a Stegosaurus'.
    090630-tiny-skull-big-brains_big.jpg
    Photograph by Eric Zamora of the University of Florida

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Very interesting..this section of boards (which I have only started checking out today) is really gonna be detrimental to my work output!

Advertisement