Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuisance Calls from wierd non-numbers

Options
  • 02-07-2009 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Firstly apologies if this in is wrong place, im sure it is, but gave up looking for the "right" place

Over the last few weeks i keep getting calls to my landline, several a day, and when i answer or it goes to vmail, there is silence then hangup

Id love to ring back and say WTF..and allsorts or other lurvely stuff but the numbers on caller id do not dial out
    They range from
    00200, 00203, 001216, 001213, 001205, 001207, 0011200 (oops, just got that one!), blah blah.

Rang perlicoe , nothing they can do apparantly..basically offered no help at all

Anyone have the same prob? Seem to be getting more frequent, 5 already today and its a really pain. Starts at 9am...

Any ideas anyone....dunno if its even a garda issue, dont want to waste their time.... think is it something automated? Fax?? Dunno....

Help!:mad:

Comments

magconn wrote: »
    Firstly apologies if this in is wrong place, im sure it is, but gave up looking for the "right" place

Over the last few weeks i keep getting calls to my landline, several a day, and when i answer or it goes to vmail, there is silence then hangup

Id love to ring back and say WTF..and allsorts or other lurvely stuff but the numbers on caller id do not dial out
    They range from
    00200, 00203, 001216, 001213, 001205, 001207, 0011200 (oops, just got that one!), blah blah.

Rang perlicoe , nothing they can do apparantly..basically offered no help at all

Anyone have the same prob? Seem to be getting more frequent, 5 already today and its a really pain. Starts at 9am...

Any ideas anyone....dunno if its even a garda issue, dont want to waste their time.... think is it something automated? Fax?? Dunno....

call perlico for the call logs to your number and bring it to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭dubsaab

Been getting calls all day to-day from 08183651350

Called my provider, UTV, who directed me ComReg. They have now told me to contact the Gardai.

dubsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08183651350

Like magconn says, a lot of these "weird" numbers are caused by automated applications (text notification etc) misbehaving on the eircom network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

hey dubsaab. by any chance has someone sent a text to your landline number. thats the num that comes up when your handset cant receive the text...happened to moi loads of times. and as for my prob, just got someone to speak when they called, a google subidsiary co, and told them if they rang again, id prosecute...we'll see ! fingers crossed.

David7536, Perlico tell me they do not log incoming calls ! Useless shower ..thanks tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved from Broadband to Consumer Issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Unless the calls are in some way malicious or threatening, i'd say its unlikely to be a matter for the Gardai.
    Don't bother ringing Perlico again. Send them a letter, registered.

Several years ago, I complained to the Guards about malicious calls made to me by someone I knew and was told that I would have to go through Eircom first before the Gardai would get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

im getting funny calls on my mobile number come up unknown, when i answer they are just silent. very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭dubsaab

Magconn

Don't think it is a 'legitimate' text message, no-one I know would be texting my home telephone. Followed the link you posted and it look as though some department in Eircom thinks my telephone is able to receive text messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

yes, they are automated applications. No weirdos, just weird computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I was getting similar on my mobile. Missed calls from an unknown number at around 10am and 1 pm every day for a week. After a few days I had an idea it was an automated call so when I did answer I got a pause for 1-2 secs then someone pop on from o2. I just hung up. Havent got a call since :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Politbureau

magconn wrote: »

They range from

I have started to get calls from 03531234567 and it starts at 9am and finishes around 9pm each day for the past three days. No answer when I introduce myself. I usually get two calls a day from the number. Just a pain in the ass. I have looked up the net and there seems to be nothing on it. I am aware there are reverse number to address programmes out there but you have to pay and download to get the service. Hardly seems worth it. Anyone got similar problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

I have started to get calls from 03531234567 and it starts at 9am and finishes around 9pm each day for the past three days.

I got a call this evening from 00443531234567. Didn't answer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

Slasher wrote: »
    I got a call this evening from 00443531234567. Didn't answer it.

If I'm not mistaken this number is the same number used by the "microsoft scam"....DO NOT ANSWER, about two to three weeks ago a presenter of 2FM tried to call this number but there was no ring tone.

zeppi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

This is definitely the Microsoft Windows scam. 00443531234567 is a phone number originating from India. I received such a call from "Alice" in Microsoft Windows Repair Limited on this number. She was looking for my Dad and gave a Rathfarnham number to call back. I googled the number and the first hit was "scam"!

My own company's IT function uses a UK/Ireland composite (+44353) when I have a computer issue. It must be a cheaper way of calling.

Zeppi wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken this number is the same number used by the "microsoft scam"....DO NOT ANSWER, about two to three weeks ago a presenter of 2FM tried to call this number but there was no ring tone.

zeppi

I picked up the phone and said 'Hello' are there implications? I am not aware of the microsoft scam. Can anyone give me the background info?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

They claim there may be a problem with your computer and get you to download an application from the web so they can diagnose it remotely. Then they tell you that your computer is riddled with viruses and worms and all sorts of nasty things which they can fix for a fee. You tell them your credit card details, they take the money, do a bit of fiddling about (mainly things that any user can do for free), tell you all is well (probably always was), thank you and say goodbye.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    They claim there may be a problem with your computer and get you to download an application from the web so they can diagnose it remotely. Then they tell you that your computer is riddled with viruses and worms and all sorts of nasty things which they can fix for a fee. You tell them your credit card details, they take the money, do a bit of fiddling about (mainly things that any user can do for free), tell you all is well (probably always was), thank you and say goodbye.

Thank you for all rhe advice and help guys.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I get these calls sometimes and they come from PTSB wondering about my customer experience. My boyfriend used to get them from UPC. It's an autodialler. It autodials numbers and then if you pick up, it transfers you to an operator. Sometimes all the operators are busy, so then you just hear silence as it can't transfer you.

Advertisement