Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental agency want 3 months bank statements

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

Eglinton wrote: »
    It's absolutely none of their business what you make or what other outgoings you have. You do not need to furnish bank statements. A work reference and previous landlord reference is the maximum you should/could be asked for. If you're suitably employed and the previous landlord gives a good reference then there is no reason why a landlord/letting agency should turn you down unless they just don't like you! It highly unlikely that you'll try to rent a place you cannot afford anyway. If it turns out the rent can't be paid, well that's life; there are routes of escalation/dispute resolution to be followed.

You seem to think that a landlord/letting agency are doing renters a favour in providing the accomodation (worth a half million - wohoo, big deal). There are thousands of unoccupied properties at present. I'd imagine that most of the landlords can't afford the mortgages on the places and need the tenants to cover it in rent. Maybe the banks should have asked them (the landlords) for better credit criteria for their mortgages!!!

You are right that the banks should have been stricter in their lending. On every other point you are wrong.

If I had a property to rent I can ask for anything! Anything.

I can ask for 10,000 a week, it doesnt mean I will get it.

So if they ask for bank statements, its their right to. Its their property and in working out if you are a suitable tennant they can ask for anything they like.

they can do a police background check on you if they want, its their property.

Now will that put people off from renting from them, maybe some people, other may not have an issue.

But you dont have the ability to tell someone else under what terms they can rent their property to you.

If I want to sell a car I can demand that people wanting to look at it show up in a business suit.

I hope you get my point.

Just because you want to moan about what other people want doesnt mean you are right at all.

The reverse of your argument is, why should you need to give a reference, employer details etc. Its no ones business.

I honestly think the attitudes displayed on these Irish boards show why Ireland will be the last country to come out of this recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

You are right on one thing - you can ask for anything you want but the majority of folks will tell you to fcek right off and you'll be left with your 'home' 'worth' 500k. Worth?! Ha.

This would apply to you if you even lived in this country, but you don't so I don't know why you are getting stuck in - your market is not this market so advice by you given to the OP is irrelevant.

Data privacy is a concern for a lot of people (in this country), I don't know about where you are.

gambiaman wrote: »
    You are right on one thing - you can ask for anything you want but the majority of folks will tell you to fcek right off and you'll be left with your 'home' 'worth' 500k. Worth?! Ha.

This would apply to you if you even lived in this country, but you don't so I don't know why you are getting stuck in - your market is not this market so advice by you given to the OP is irrelevant.

Data privacy is a concern for a lot of people (in this country), I don't know about where you are.

Wow

1) I understand the Irish property market a little bit. (I dont want to tell you why or how)

2) You are right that people can ask for what they want. That was my point, not that they are right or reasonable. You dont have the right to dictate to the owner what they can have if they rent to you.

So if they ask for 2 months statements, you have the right to say feck off, but you dont have the right to say they cannot ask.

3) I know identity theft is a big deal. But are not all Irish deposits guaranteed by the goverment. (again I wouldnt trust them on that)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bobbiw wrote: »
    3) I know identity theft is a big deal. But are not all Irish deposits guaranteed by the goverment. (again I wouldnt trust them on that)
    That guarantee only kicks in if the banks go bust, not if someone (else :)) defrauds you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

bobbiw, you do not seem to realise that we have a Data Protection Act in Ireland.

A letting agency does not have access to a private individual's bank info, it may be the case in the states but the laws are different here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

One months deposit isn't much security at all really. A month before the tenant moves out he/she phones the landlord and says "can i use my deposit as my last months rent?" . The landlord says "No way!" . The tenant never pays his last months rent and moves out - usually leaving the property looking like a skip and the landlord spends a few weeks cleaning it and replacing all the broken items.

Wouldn't happen in Germany! Nooooooooooo!:D

It is no wonder Agents look for more security...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

I don't know if this is legal or some form of discrimination. I don't think it would be legal for a shop to have a dress policy. Night clubs are different as they are clubs.

Legal or not, I wouldn't show bank statements to a landlord. I would say no thanks and find another place, not before asking if they are tax compliant, registered and what is their ber rating.

I would also want to make sure that the landlord is resident here as if they are resident abroad that would make me responsible for deducting tax from them.

As for the comment about the single mother and her peasant boyfriend. I am glad she escaped from paying rent to someone with that attitude.

What amateur landlords seem to forget is that renting is a business. If supermarkets refused to sell food to single mothers and their peasant boyfriends - they wouldn't last long in the market. Landlords with these atttitudes won't last long either - lots of empties out there and more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

gurramok wrote: »
    bobbiw, you do not seem to realise that we have a Data Protection Act in Ireland.

A letting agency does not have access to a private individual's bank info, it may be the case in the states but the laws are different here.

I would never give bank statements to a landlord/agent but, most people who rent sign a contract and pay deposit by cheque. By doing this they are giving landlord/agent their name, address, bank name & address, bank sort code, account number, signature and PPS number. There is enough their to steal an identity without worrying about bank statements.

ZYX wrote: »
    I would never give bank statements to a landlord/agent but, most people who rent sign a contract and pay deposit by cheque. By doing this they are giving landlord/agent their name, address, bank name & address, bank sort code, account number, signature and PPS number. There is enough their to steal an identity without worrying about bank statements.

Very very good point. That should quiet them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

Very very good point. That should quiet them all.

That being said. I would never, ever, ever, under any circumstances give bank statements to a landlord. Absolutely no way. I think you would be an idiot to give that type of info to a total stranger. Why on earth would you want them to know how you spend your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

That should quiet them all.

What do you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

He means he's spotted a circumstance under which the landlord could start an identify theft scam without needing your bank statements, the implication of which is that people should stop arguing about it.

Not that I'd give over my bank statements either, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

I would NEVER give out my bank details to a landlord, I wouldn't have done it when it was difficult to find a place and definately not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

Ste.phen wrote: »
    He means he's spotted a circumstance under which the landlord could start an identify theft scam without needing your bank statements, the implication of which is that people should stop arguing about it.

Not that I'd give over my bank statements either, mind.

no, I understand that bit fine. When s/he said "that should quiet them all", I was wondering what s/he means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CorkLady1983

no right to ask for bank statement, rent directly. I'm renting in spencer dock from a really decent guy, he has a few nices places around . PM me if you need more details...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

On the subject or references, etc. some agents want work & landlord references before they'll even let you see the property! :confused:
    JACOB WALSH ESTATES

PLEASE MAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT DETAILS BEFORE MAKING AN APPOINTMENT TO SEE THIS PROPERTY.
    (1) Please fax your work reference and Landlord reference to the office on 01-8727779, clearly stating your name contact number and the property you wish to view

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/109-Parnell-Street-Apartments-Dublin-1/762664/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

mambo wrote: »
    On the subject or references, etc. some agents want work & landlord references before they'll even let you see the property! :confused:

Suggested reply:

Dear Jacob Walsh,

Cop on; there's a glut of 16,000 apartments in the city.

Sincerely,

P.

EDIT: This bit is also funny:

"Rents are not open to negotiation, unless specifically indicated on the advertisement."

I reckon he stills thinks there might be a soft landing.

Advertisement