Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not using bike for 12 months, remove battery, oil, anything else ?

• 02-07-2009 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭

Going to the USA for the next 12 months and obviously hope to do a bit of riding over there. So what should i do with the bike, remove the battery, drain petrol and oil, what about the chain, should I remove it and leave it in a container with say the drained oil ? Or will it be ok if I just lube it and get someone to lube it now and again while I'm away ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Let me have it?

Leave the battery on a battery tender is your best bet. Don't drain all the petrol, I think about half a tank or full tank is recommended. Try to get both wheels up to prevent rot.

Linky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Don't drain oil, as if bike is in a damp area bearings will rust, cover any chrome work with WD 40 or anti corrosion grease to stop rust. You could drain the acid from the battery if you had a funnel, bike batteries tend to get foooked if left unused. I winterised my old Triumph 650 for 4 years when I travelled abroad in the 90ies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Don't drain oil, as if bike is in a damp area bearings will rust, cover any chrome work with WD 40 or anti corrosion grease to stop rust. You could drain the acid from the battery if you had a funnel, bike batteries tend to get foooked if left unused. I winterised my old Triumph 650 for 4 years when I travelled abroad in the 90ies
    What about the chain, will a good lube do it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    What about the chain, will a good lube do it ?
    Worth while giving it a dash of chain oil before you leave it.

Advertisement