Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Review of operation and rules of forum - your opinions wanted!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

mayordenis wrote: »
    on the loi debate you have to concede that it goes both ways, starting each thread with real football, real fans etc. it's just gouding people, fueling the fire if you will.
    I try to avoid LOI related threads altogether sadly because I know it'll whittle itself down to farce quickly enough if I get involved even in a supportive way - I'll mention something or read someone having a go at the football I generally watch and of course I'll end up replying.

Saying all that I reckon people accusing people who follow any league/team in particular is something that should be added to the baneable offenses.

People tend to hide behind the "I can abuse a huge section of people, as long as I'm not singling one person out for abuse" which shouldn't be the case.

Agree with this as well.

Someone might start a thread asking if anyone knows how many Irish players there are playing in the Premiership and you'll often see smart comments like, "Not as much as are playing for your local team" etc.

This sort of thing happens almost all the time and isn't necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Agree with this as well.

Someone might start a thread asking if anyone knows how many Irish players there are playing in the Premiership and you'll often see smart comments like, "Not as much as are playing for your local team" etc.

This sort of thing happens almost all the time and isn't necessary.

exactly

post like this
    Completely agree. All the Man Utd fans might actually have to support a team somewhat close to them for a while.
    in the utd thread

LOI posters aren't all innocent in this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I like the idea of a gambling sticky, even if it isn't a sticky, a gambling superthread is a good idea.

On the topic of no Man Utd-supporting mods, I can't say I've ever noticed any bias. Though I don't go into the Liverpool thread, and avoided the Fergie-Benitez thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Headshot wrote: »
    exactly

post like this in the utd thread

aye i took particular issue with that, just no need at all for it. Random jibes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

on the loi debate you have to concede that it goes both ways, starting each thread with real football, real fans etc. it's just gouding people, fueling the fire if you will.

Indeed I know it goes both ways, I was the main offender on the LoI side at one time.

However, I was not getting at that.

My original point was that when the threads do descend into tit-for-tat sniping the mods appear and give a ruling "no more tit-for-tat crap please" without consequence. And, in my opinion, it is generally EPL fans who have started it. Different ones every time, because lets be honest here, there is a fairly hardcore group of LoI fans here, we are all "tagged" as such, and the group hardly ever changes. One or two "new" LoI supporters every six months, if even that. But, there about ten times more EPL fans, and every time one of them makes a disparaging, ignorant, remark there is no "previous2 with that particular poster. But of course, when the LoI fans engage with them they are accused of "harping on" blah blah blah. Well sorry, but there are only a few of us, and if every time there are comments made by someone different, we are going to respond to them. What should we do? Post something like "I refer you to my rebuttal of the last poster who made the exact same ignorant point as you, here's a link"? Er, no thanks.

As for the "Real Football, Real Fans2 thing. Well, I'm afraid you'll have to take that up with the FAI, they came up with the slogan. It's not in thread titles, and LoI threads are usually marked as such, so if people have no inerest in them, and KNOW they are going to be offended by the content, then why the bloody hell do they open them?

I try to avoid LOI related threads altogether sadly because I know it'll whittle itself down to farce quickly enough if I get involved even in a supportive way - I'll mention something or read someone having a go at the football I generally watch and of course I'll end up replying.
    Sam goes for the LoI fans though, can you not see that, and it is my point. Someone different always makes a comment that is ill informed and ignorant, and are picked up on it. It sounds like we are harping on about the LoI, typing the same point over and over again, because, in fact, that is exactly what we are doing. But it's always someone different. The EPL fans may be sick of hearing it, but believe me, the LoI fans are sick of it too.

Furthermore, and this goes for all posters on all aspects of football, I would be of the opinion that if someone posts the likes of

"Rafa is an idiot"

or

"The LoI is a joke League"

without even attempting to rationalise the post, should be at the very least Yellow-Carded.
    Saying all that I reckon people accusing people who follow any league/team in particular is something that should be added to the baneable offenses.

People tend to hide behind the "I can abuse a huge section of people, as long as I'm not singling one person out for abuse" which shouldn't be the case.

I agree with that.

Now for something completely different.

I think the snap-closure and threats that happened around the Off-Topic Thread was perhaps one of the most badly handled episodes I've ever seen on Boards, in my five years here.

I know of at least five, possibly more, people who have reduced their time on this Forum as a direct result of that farce.

It seemed, at the time, that one mod was speaking for them all, or at the very least, the opinions of the other mods were not listened to or taken into consideration.

Again, mistakes were made on both sides, but as far as I could make out, one side told the other that it was their way or the highway.

Evidently, the Highway was the option chosen, as the OTT has died a total death as a result.

That thread fostered a great little community here in the Soccer Forum, culminating in the purchase of a gaming console and games for the Santa Strike Force. And I also believe that relations between the different factions thawed a fair bit as a result of it.

That's gone now, and I can't see it ever being revived. It's a real pity in my eyes. The Off-Topic Thread had three iterations, and honestly, I cringe now when I see people posting in it. It could, and should, have been so much different.

Everything that surrounding that episode still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

No-one in this thread has claimed otherwise.

The point being made is that it seems as the EPL fans are more "precious" and sly jibes at them are cracked down moreso than the sly digs at the LoI. Even the not-so-sly digs at times.
    p_larkin99 wrote: »
    aye i took particular issue with that, just no need at all for it. Random jibes.

On both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Just and idea and probably would not work but i'll throw it out and see :).

What about just allowing Manutd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc fans to post in their teams Thread for discussion forms only and then say like a Manutd fan can READ the Liverpool thread discussion form but not post but on Match days where you have say a thread on Manutd v Liverpool each fan can post comments on the games etc? It might be a really bad idea but it would stop throlling and people winding each other up or trying to get a rise out which i see happen.

I also think that if someone gets say two yellow cards then they should be banned for one month and RED is two months.

Also id LOVE to see PHB be mod if possible on the Manutd form, he seems to be respected by most members on the soccer form but again i know he had to give it up moding already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Probably a big ask, but could we put the team we support under our avatar?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

IvySlayer wrote: »

I can cite examples of Utd fans discussing Utd tactics and some people coming into threads 'United bought the league, ah sure they get all ref decision, clubs bow down to united and let them win'. And Liverpool discussions turning into anti-rafa brigades...

Firstly I have to say this is one of the best soccer forums out there, have never met any of you lot personally but in a strange way I feel I have got to knwo a lot of you well and you are not a bad bunch :p

I think certainly in a teams thread the above should not be acceptable but in a match thread where decisions have been given by the ref then maybe a heated debate should be allowed, numerous big matches last season saw some very heated debates which certainly resulted in threads being locked at times, I think as long as postsers are not insulting other posters then these debates should be allowed,if things go too far on a thread I feel posters should be warned before a ban unless of course someone has been personally insulting, after a big match emotions can be running high, and I feel this should be taken into account and these debates are part of the banter between fans and its great reading the posts particularly if your team is not involved :D

Also sometimes moderators will state in a thread at a given time that the next person who refers to a particular point again will be banned, this could have been issued on page 5 of a 9 page thread, now if you have just logged on, I find that I will start reading a thread at the start, I might get to page 2 and see a post and reply to it missing the moderators warning later on and so receive a ban, this actually happened to me before, I feel their should be some discretion if this happens.

Looking at last season, I feel the soccer forum worked really well most of the time. As someone mentioned maybe a weekend betting thread where people can put up some tips would be interesting.

Regarding Fantasy Football(can't wait until it starts), some complaints last season were that some non posters were signing up for the league. I have no problem with new posters joining the league but maybe the league code might only be given out by PM, what do people think? I know this season I'm also going to set up my own Arsenal league for boards.ie posters as a sub league to the boards.i.e soccer league.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    On both sides.

Maybe im seeing this through epl glasses but i just saw someone come into the utd thread and say what headshot posted. It was totally uncalled for. What was the need to say it - none. Why was it said - imo, it was to get a reaction. Its the kind of thing we need to get rid of.

I hate the whole up themselves LOI people. Im not saying its all but there are still one or 2 repeat offenders and they have a tendancy to thank those making similar comments. IDK, i just annoys me.

One more thing.

Is there any chance that any "Feedback" type threads, relating to the Soccer Forum can be moved into the Soccer Forum.

Because, every time there is a thread in Feedback, the same fúcking arseholes who haven't a bull's notion about this forum, it's users or it's mods, how it operates, the nuances therein, people who have never posted here, people who have no access, and people who have access only to post in threads like this, come and have a pop.

Look, we are all Soccer Forum posters here, mod included. While Feedback threads may be Soccer Users -vs- Soccer Mods, I can assure you that we hate those arseholes even more than we hate you :P

It's gotten to the stage where you can nearly predict what members of the Boards Giltterati are going to appear in the threads and regurgitate their bile.

Every. Fúcking. Time.

I feel that it makes the Soccer Forum appear worse than it actually is in the eyes of other Mods and Admin.

On that note.

Hullabaloo said he was going to take a more active modding position here. What happened to that

Vanbis wrote: »
    Just and idea and probably would not work but i'll throw it out and see :).

What about just allowing Manutd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc fans to post in their teams Thread for discussion forms only and then say like a Manutd fan can READ the Liverpool thread discussion form but not post but on Match days where you have say a thread on Manutd v Liverpool each fan can post comments on the games etc? It might be a really bad idea but it would stop throlling and people winding each other up or trying to get a rise out which i see happen.

This is a horrible horrible idea imo. I'm a fan of football as well as man utd.

People just need to have some common sense!

Des,

I can fully sympathise with you being annoyed at people going into LOI threads and acting the clown but what about threads that aren't specifically related to the LOI and which see condescending remarks from LOI fans?

A recent example would be the 'Irish Connections and your team' thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055607588

I knew as soon as I saw the thread what to expect and when I checked it out sure enough there were LOI supporters making jibes about supporters of Premiership clubs. It's poor form and it put me off contributing to that particular topic.

As you say yourself the LOI supporters are well known and it would appear have a tendency to "have each other's backs" so to speak when it comes to this sort of sniping. That is a perception I have and I think a few others have it as well.

I'm not saying you don't get crap either as I'm sure you do, but I don't tend to check into LOI threads so don't see this. I do however see this sort of stuff on threads not exclusive to LOI matters very frequently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hullabaloo has had to step back for real life reason.

Des I would not be opposed to your idea of keeping all soccer feedback in the soccer forum but that would be a admin call as it would be a first for Boards.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Hullabaloo has had to step back for real life reason.

Des I would not be opposed to your idea of keeping all soccer feedback in the soccer forum but that would be a admin call as it would be a first for Boards.

Can I just second Des feedback idea.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Regarding Fantasy Football(can't wait until it starts), some complaints last season were that some non posters were signing up for the league. I have no problem with new posters joining the league but maybe the league code might only be given out by PM, what do people think? I know this season I'm also going to set up my own Arsenal league for boards.ie posters as a sub league to the boards.i.e soccer league.

I love the Fantasy Football threads as well. With regards to new posters joining, I don't have a problem with it either but what bugged me was that 2/3 of the way through the season someone would join and suddenly we'd have a new number one. It's pretty harsh on the people jostling at the top!

Is there a way to have like a cut-off point for new entrants joining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

One more thing.

Is there any chance that any "Feedback" type threads, relating to the Soccer Forum can be moved into the Soccer Forum.

Because, every time there is a thread in Feedback, the same fúcking arseholes who haven't a bull's notion about this forum, it's users or it's mods, how it operates, the nuances therein, people who have never posted here, people who have no access, and people who have access only to post in threads like this, come and have a pop.

Look, we are all Soccer Forum posters here, mod included. While Feedback threads may be Soccer Users -vs- Soccer Mods, I can assure you that we hate those arseholes even more than we hate you :P

It's gotten to the stage where you can nearly predict what members of the Boards Giltterati are going to appear in the threads and regurgitate their bile.

Every. Fúcking. Time.

I feel that it makes the Soccer Forum appear worse than it actually is in the eyes of other Mods and Admin.

On that note.

Hullabaloo said he was going to take a more active modding position here. What happened to that

+ a million

This should definitly be implemented if possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Can I just second Des feedback idea.

me too

plus it would mean that the people in the soccer forum would actually be aware of such threads and be able to give an informed opinion instead of just the thread starter and the mods plus the people who just tend to read the feedback forum.

I
    Is there a way to have like a cut-off point for new entrants joining?

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I don't really think it would hurt the gambling forum too much if there was a gambling thread here because alot of that forum is community driven and I can't see them all flocking over here but 5Star and Xavi probably have something to say about that.

Not sure about the feedback thing, if feedback threads were brought here they'd either A) be too heavily moderated for a feedback thread or B) if they were lightly modded be used for **** slinging between fans.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the forum atm and if it ain't broke

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I am new to the soccer forum so what i am about to say could be way off the mark.

Headshot mentioned having a Manchester United fan as a Mod. I don't think a united fan is required for the whole forum but for the United thread it wouldn't be a bad idea. The same goes for other fast moving threads. I think Headshots point about a Mod posting in threads helps keep things under control is valid. The other forum i spend time on is kept under control when the mods are posting but when the mods are away for a longer period than normal the trolling starts.

I was surprised to see no sub forum for Liverpool, Man United, Celtic or the LoI etc when i first logged on as the threads move so fast. If they existed in sub forums it may make it easier to keep under control as Boards continues to grow. A mod could be appointed to the individual sub forum to help out and keep things happy.

I am often amazed at how fast the Manchester United thread moves at. A sub forum where threads on a specific topic exist could enhance the experience. Maybe the threads could be set up only by mods in the sub forums.

actually I was thinking about the feedback idea

what happens if the user is banned from the sf

will he/she beable to debate their ban ?

how will that work

Bubs101 wrote: »

Not sure about the feedback thing, if feedback threads were brought here they'd either A) be too heavily moderated for a feedback thread or B) if they were lightly modded be used for **** slinging between fans.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the forum atm and if it ain't broke

....tinker with it till it is ;)

you may have a point about the feedback thing though although i do think that posters on the soccer board should be somehow notified when a feedback thread is opened about the soccer board, iirc in the case headshot had mentioned people were also giving warning for simply linking to his feedback thread on the soccer board surely this should be allowed.

....tinker with it till it is ;)

you may have a point about the feedback thing though although i do think that posters on the soccer board should be somehow notified when a feedback thread is opened about the soccer board, iirc in the case headshot had mentioned people were also giving warning for simply linking to his feedback thread on the soccer board surely this should be allowed.

:)

that was our old friend eagle eye

:)

that was our old friend eagle eye

is that why he hasnt been seen since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

6 month ban for accumulating those yellows that you sometimes see. Only coincidental the timing of course.

this isnt the place for it
    6 month ban for accumulating those yellows that you sometimes see. Only coincidental the timing of course.

of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Be more lenient when someone posts a new thread, that he/she could have posted in a superthread, sometimes its nice to get a wider view.

Ban people from commenting "pointless thread", if a thread is pointless it will die out a lot sooner without people queuing up to belittle it.

Agreed...there can be a very qliquey atmosphere in the thread in general.

I'm also sick of seeing "not this again" comments in the superthreads (possibly one of the failings of the superthreads) no one in their right mind is going to read hundreds of pages to get up to speed on whats been said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Maybe we could trial one of the big superthreads as a sub-forum instead which gives more scope to discussing a specific topic e.g a certain player or a new kit without getting lost in other discussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

bring back sponsorship or at least increase post count for access to the SF

nearly forgot a mod who supports man utd would be handy too
    3 pool fans and 1 city fan

it be nice to have a utd fan as a mod

On the two issues:

1. We were all new to this forum once, and we all had to learn the ropes. New users sometimes need a little guidance as to what is considered acceptable, but there is as much work involved in keeping established users on the straight and narrow. I don't accept that new users are the problem on this forum.

2. It's been said but it needs reiterating: who we support does not affect how we mod the forum. And for the record, there's a Spurs and Nottm Forest fan modding as well ;) I read the United superthread pretty regularly, if posters used the report post function a bit more we'd manage to deal with problems as they develop, instead of after the event. It's really worth pointing out though, just because no action appears to have been taken doesn't mean we haven't assessed the report.
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    If a mod doesn't post in the thread, that doesn't mean they don't read it. It's not nessecary for a moderator to post in every thread.

+1
    mike65 wrote: »
    I would ask the mods to relax the issue of whats considered personal abuse of a player/manager/owner/ref/agent/pundit. Sometimes they really ask for both barrels and it would be nice to give it to them every once in a while.
    PiE wrote: »
    I'm with Mike65 on the abuse thing - sure libel is a worry and all, but the rules on "player abuse" have been OTT for a while now.

I'm probably the strictest mod in the application of that rule, but I would like to see some relaxation of it. Here's the problem: if we relax the rule, how do we ensure that abuse directed at players/managers etc isn't used to rile up opposition fans. I can't see many objections to calling Pat Doan a "fat bastard" [if you're reading Pat, my apologies, and if it counts for anything I'm carrying a bit of timber myself] but if Rafa is called a "fat Spanish waiter" all hell breaks loose.

How do we differentiate between banter and abuse in that instance? I'll use a non-contentious example now he's moved on, but say I'd called Ronaldo a "diving little sh1t" last season, would that not lead to problems? It's inevitable that people will jump to a players defence if he's one of their own, and that statement would face accusations of trolling if it had been made.

I'll guarantee you one thing: if I infract or ban somebody for using abuse to get a dig in at a group of fans or a team, the offender will counter with the defence that if it's ok to abuse El Hadj Diouf or Andy Gray, then it should be ok to abuse Drogba, Rooney, Rafa etc etc.
    The amount of muppets in this forum has grown and grown since the sponsorship thing went out the window. I can see the problems with this, and the fact that people new to Boards.ie may not ever get sponsored.

So here's what I propose.

Keep the 50 Posts + 6(3?) Months rule in place.

But.

Add to that a further rule that if, within your first three months, you get a single Yellow Card Infraction, then you are subject to the current 6 Month Ban for other users who have racked up 6 Yellow Cards/Three Red Cards, or whatever that is. Extend that to within the next three months, if you receive a Straight Red Card Infraction, or rack up Three Yellow Cards, you are also subject to a 6 Month Ban.

This gives people a 6 Month "Bedding In Period" where they can be weeded out if they are actual trolls, and also, people can get to know them, learn their posting style and how to take them.

Also, I'd like to see a system whereby a user is informed by the mods once their Yellow Cards have expired.

I'll counter that by saying it seems that the perception is that new users are the problem, while the reality is that established members are as much trouble. There's that perception thing again Des, maybe it's because we know what an existing member is like, and so we understand their approach a bit better, whereas with a new user people judge them at face value rather than allowing them to develop their character on the forum. That hardly seems fair.

A recent example: a new user responded to provocation a few days ago and said something that could have earned him a red card, and a month break from the forum as he was a recent entrant. I felt it better to issue a yellow card, PM him with a warning, and provide him with an explanation as to what he had done wrong. On that occasion I thought it better to give the benefit of the doubt, otherwise he'd be pissed off, and would return from his ban more likely to disregard the charter. I did what I felt best for the forum in the long term Des, yet this idea that new posters are the problem would have seen him banned right away?

Nonetheless, I like the idea of a probation period, though your version is a little too harsh.

• Advertisement

Also sometimes moderators will state in a thread at a given time that the next person who refers to a particular point again will be banned, this could have been issued on page 5 of a 9 page thread, now if you have just logged on, I find that I will start reading a thread at the start, I might get to page 2 and see a post and reply to it missing the moderators warning later on and so receive a ban, this actually happened to me before, I feel their should be some discretion if this happens.

Suggest a workaround please.

We need to provide warnings at times, if people have a get out clause of "oh I didn't see it" how much value is there in the warning?

We need to provide warnings at times, if people have a get out clause of "oh I didn't see it" how much value is there in the warning?

I can see where you are coming from, as I said on another board I got a week ban for the above, I genuinely did not read through the thread, I put my case to the mods with an apology and the ban was lifted. Is their anyway that some form of "sticky warning can be placed within the thread on each page, probably not possible but it does seem unfair that you can get done for it especially when you might have 10+ pages on a thread in the space of a few hours.

One more thing.

That's going to need Admin approval as Dub13 stated.

This thread in itself is a feedback opportunity...would people accept a regular version of this as an opportunity to provide feedback in a closed environment? Say every six months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Regarding a Soccer Feedback forum.

Believe it or not, this has been discussed among the soccer mods in the past. However, I don't think it's a go for a few reasons.

1. Asking the Admins to monitor another forum is probably out of the question.

2. Who will mod it? Us? You? The point of Feedback/Helpdesk is that it's neutral ground. As much as I think Feedback and Helpdesk are inherently flawed as a means of "seeking justice" I believe that any user or poster has the right to post there without risk of sanction for challenging the mod.

3. We are the Soccer Forum but we are also Boards.ie and we're under the rules of Boards.ie. I don't like the idea of any forum becoming it's own little independent state and I certainly don't like the idea of Soccer going that way. I think we have to live under the Boards.ie rule and as much as possible, try and stay the same as other forums.

This thread in itself is a feedback opportunity...would people accept a regular version of this as an opportunity to provide feedback in a closed environment? Say every six months?

Yes, but when issues arise, as they inevitably will, it would be nice to have a closed shop conversation without the usual suspects chiming in with their "Lock the fúcking place" and "more trouble than it's worth" style comments. They offer nothing to a subject they know nothing about. It must be frustrating for the mods even more so, in my opinion. In fact, in the current Rugby thread in FB, I saw Xavi getting a bit edgy with the mention of this Forum. And not without cause, it has to be said.

Oh, on that note. I'd just like to thank the Soccer Mods who did contribute to that thread, very informative and good insight.

And, also, thanks for this thread, it's a good opportunity.

The only thing I will say.

I reckon these type of threads are generally very good, but can sometimes veer off into aggressive postings. I would ask that the mods don't take their ball and run away with it without thinking about it properly :) Which has happened before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm probably the strictest mod in the application of that rule (abuse), but I would like to see some relaxation of it. Here's the problem: if we relax the rule, how do we ensure that abuse directed at players/managers etc isn't used to rile up opposition fans. I can't see many objections to calling Pat Doan a "fat bastard" [if you're reading Pat, my apologies, and if it counts for anything I'm carrying a bit of timber myself] but if Rafa is called a "fat Spanish waiter" all hell breaks loose.

How do we differentiate between banter and abuse in that instance? I'll use a non-contentious example now he's moved on, but say I'd called Ronaldo a "diving little sh1t" last season, would that not lead to problems? It's inevitable that people will jump to a players defence if he's one of their own, and that statement would face accusations of trolling if it had been made.

I'll guarantee you one thing: if I infract or ban somebody for using abuse to get a dig in at a group of fans or a team, the offender will counter with the defence that if it's ok to abuse El Hadj Diouf or Andy Gray, then it should be ok to abuse Drogba, Rooney, Rafa etc etc.

My own beileif is that said player/manager/owner/ref/agent/pundit can be unmercifully pumelled for his professional skill/judgement/otherwise not his/her personal failings/shortcomings/characteristics. So if for example a referee who shall be called, say Hick Makette awards the worlds stupidest peno which costs your team the points then any critique aimed at his judgement should be fine, questioning his parentage is not. Players likewise if for example a player called Lank Frampard attempts to break someones leg in a tackle ( ;) ) then observing his lack of tackling finesse in strong terms would be fine, calling him "Fat Frampard of a Bastard" would not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

+1 on the idea of a betting/odds thread

+1 on a separate Match Thread sub-forum

Someone said earlier in the thread that in some threads there is the sense of a 'clique' between some users. I couldn't agree more, and I personally think it's the biggest problem with the Soccer forum. It can be very intimidating for new usersto integrate themselves into a forum that appears to have groups of members sticking together. Perhaps a sticky where new users can introduce themselves to the Soccer forum would help them ease into it easier?

I agree with having a separate sub-forum for the major teams (EPL Big 4, Celtic, Shamrock Rovers, etc.) where individual team issues can be discussed in their own threads, because I think that they can easily get lost amongst the Superthreads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

could we possibly go for a slightly more slag friendly-thunderdome esque min soccer forum - possibly even a ranting and raving forum dedicated to football something like that for just venting trolling and bickering within reason of course but to allow people to vent there opinions and allow constructive debate to continue (begin) here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Also I think the policy of letting new users in needs to be changed. Maybe increase the mandatory one month and 50 posts to two months and 100 posts. To give them more time to adapt to the boards policies and politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

just want to jump in here to defend new users as few people mentioned they want to bring back in sponsorship or rules where if new user gets yellow card banned for 6 months.

IMO most time new users do something wrong its down to a lack on knowledge as they didn't know better. if anything id argue for a new user if theyve commited an offensce should be given the benefit of the doubt, tell them what theyve done wrong and explain what they should have done and see if they learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

RE: A soccer feedback forum - I don't think that'd be a good idea, like Guanyin stated above, but there is no harm having a specific thread/sticky for this matter, which would be locked until a member had a problem/suggestion that needed airing, they could PM a mod who could re-open the thread, outline this member's problem, and it'd be up for discussion. The user could stay confidential, too. Easily lock it then when the dust has settled.

It'd be a good clear-the-air if there was tension within the forum, or if a member felt aggrieved by something.

yep I have to say with new people the best bet would be to really offer some sage like wisdom that's a bit more care-worthy thean the drudgery that is the forum charter.

IMO most time new users do something wrong its down to a lack on knowledge as they didn't know better.

New users are supposed to have read the charter.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054846032

yep I have to say with new people the best bet would be to really offer some sage like wisdom that's a bit more care-worthy thean the drudgery that is the forum charter.

what do you mean?

A "mentor" type scenario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Get rid of super threads period. The are the nesting ground for bands of hardcore fans who can't take any bit of criticism of their team.

I used to be a big user of the forum but any time I log on now every thread has at least ten pages and I'm not bothered trawling through them just to catch up on which Liverpool/United fan has twisted it into a Liverpool V United thread.

• Advertisement

what do you mean?

A "mentor" type scenario?

something along the lines of a mentor system yep, not sure exactly what I'm getting at if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Maybe the thread title could be edited to include info to indicte the warning. Something like <W-px> with x being the number of the page that the warning appears on.

On the super threads each warning icon would probably have to be removed after a suitable period of time.
    Might that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

New users are supposed to have read the charter.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054846032

just cause theyve read it doesn't mean they'll remember it otherwise we'd all have got full marks when we did the leaving cert, my point is people needed to be treated like people and people do from time to time forget or make a mistake they shouldn't normally make it happens. If its a first time point out the issue say what they should have done and move on.

that reminds me what about an age limit to access to the forum

actually you cant police that,can ya

I still like the idea of increasing the post count for access to the sf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

that reminds me what about an age limit to access to the forum
    I was on the receiving end of an idiotic rule of having to be over 18 to join a football forum. I'm still not over 18, but you're blocking a minority of genuine posters by implementing such a rule.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement