Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Review of operation and rules of forum - your opinions wanted!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Headshot wrote: »
    that reminds me what about an age limit to access to the forum

actually you cant police that,can ya

I still like the idea of increasing the post count for access to the sf

I really think we need to stay away from things like this,
    we shouldn't be coraling ourselves into some elitest corner and 100% defiantely not based on age.

Soccer forum needs to actually shy away from the old "club" mentality it has and really start being an inclusive community

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

mayordenis wrote: »
    could we possibly go for a slightly more slag friendly-thunderdome esque min soccer forum - possibly even a ranting and raving forum dedicated to football something like that for just venting trolling and bickering within reason of course but to allow people to vent there opinions and allow constructive debate to continue (begin) here.
    It's bad enough having pairings of posters on here who constantly bicker with each other because of old grievances from some past arguments. A soccer thunderdrome would just be a breeding ground for new feuds imo. We are all waaaaay too good at winding up opposition supporters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

My opinion is probably not wanted, but anyway:)

boards.ie doesn't suit a football forum. There are and may need to be waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many rules with far too many outsiders and influential at that not having any clue about football or football fora.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's bad enough having pairings of posters on here who constantly bicker with each other because of old grievances from some past arguments. A soccer thunderdrome would just be a breeding ground for new feuds imo. We are all waaaaay too good at winding up opposition supporters.

well maybe we all just need to open a soccer thread on the thunderdome - because to be hoenst it's one of the best forums here tbh - great craic and I think nobody takes anything to heart however abusive it gets.

I've always found any bull**** that goes on here between people tends to turn out positivly - I think the majority would take to it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I enjoy the jousting with the LoI militants as well the contributions of the rather more sound LoI fans on the SF, long may it continue.

To be honest, I don't really mind decent jousting, or well-thought criticism.I only dislike when people roll into threads and makes sly off-the-cuff comments like windswept field or farce of a team. They seem to the little sly things that are let go more, not so much the soapboxing/jousting or slagging which I'm often guilty of myself.

I wouldn't like a separate LOI forum for that reason too. I support United too and love football generally, even I tend to post mostly in the LOI threads, and like reading and feeling that I'm a part of the wider forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I just think mods have gotten too lack. The amount of times I've seen blatent trolling which just results in a mod saying "take it easy" or "anymore posts off topic will result in bans".

I think the only problem right now is mods not following through with the yellow card red card system, and really punishing people for every misstep. Every time you let people away with ****, they will push the boundary futher and further.

My suggestion: No more warnings. Yellow cards and red cards with no warnings whatsoever. If a mod wants ot say "Any more flaming will result in bans", they should go back through the thread, and infract the people who made them say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Des wrote: »
    New users are supposed to have read the charter.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054846032

Every user of the forum is supposed to read and accept the charter, that doesn't stop established users from acting contrary to it.
    just cause theyve read it doesn't mean they'll remember it otherwise we'd all have got full marks when we did the leaving cert, my point is people needed to be treated like people and people do from time to time forget or make a mistake they shouldn't normally make it happens. If its a first time point out the issue say what they should have done and move on.

It's a good point, and one I alluded to earlier...sometimes a quiet word achieves more in the long run than an infraction and/or ban.
    I still like the idea of increasing the post count for access to the sf

In all fairness, we are unlikely to know how a poster will behave on the soccer forum until they actually post here for a bit. A new user could spend months answering queries about broadband, or operating systems, or satellite, appear the most helpful person on boards, yet turn into a maniac when they get the chance to post on soccer. There's no guarantee that a person's posting history pre-soccer will provide adequate guidance as to whether they will be decent soccer forum posters or not.

TBH it's starting to sound like people want to close the forum off to new posters...I'll say it again, we were all new to the forum at one stage, and we all deserve a reasonable chance to contribute. Forming cliques will not help this forum flourish.
    Maybe the thread title could be edited to include info to indicte the warning. Something like <W-px> with x being the number of the page that the warning appears on.

On the super threads each warning icon would probably have to be removed after a suitable period of time.
    Might that work?

Could work, will bear it in mind when we collate the opinions on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i think moderation could be better tbh, or harsher even. most threads seem to descend into partisan slagging matches, thats the impression i get. whether its LOI v EPL or united v pool, they usually end the same way. so called 'jousting' usually descends into abuse tbh and mods should nip it in the bud quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Soccer forum needs to actually shy away from the old "club" mentality it has and really start being an inclusive community

We were getting there a bit. Until it was shot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

+1 for the match day sub forum

Something I'd love to see for ages now is a Been Done To Death Before Thread. It could possibly even be a sub forum if the mods are thinking of moving along those lines.

The superthreads in my opinion work very well and it would rip the Soccer Forum apart having club sub forums. But the biggest flaw in them is when an argument that has been done to death so many times pops up. Pages and pages of drival that has been said several times before gets spouted and its painful to try and wade through it to find something of current interest.

Examples would be Rafa spending billions.......... zonal marking........... Ronaldo, Drogba, Gerrard et all divers............the LOI vs EPL real fan crap......... to name but a few. I think that if a Mod could come into a thread and say take it to the Done to Death thread and move the posts over it would greatly smooth out the Superthreads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I think the superthreads need to go and the threads for individual matches need to go too.

My reasoning is, all this segregation of fans serves to make the forum far more tribal than it needs to be and it means that people see it as a split forum where United, Liverpool etc. fans are separated from each other and so this adds to the "us and them" mentality.

Instead, what I think the match threads could become would be a matchday superthread and the superthreads should be removed entirely.

I appreciate that conversations may well disappear more quickly but I think it would serve to get people discussing soccer with each other as opposed to the current situation where it appears to be groups of fans discussing their clubs separately to others.

The best members of the community at present are those who are cross posting in many superthreads anyway, in my opinion. So why not make everyone follow that model by adjusting the system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I think the mods need to look at real issues rather than tit for tat ones. For instance trolling. Its blatant, in your face and yet the soccer forum seems to be the only forum where you can get away with it. Trolling goes unpunished.

Also the entry rules. I think about a month ago someone posted who had an account only a month old. What happened to the 3 month rule. Maybe have a post count rule or something on that line.

When I mention the tit for tat I mean for what is deemed to be personal abuse. Someone can come into to a LOI discussion say Rovers are a cretin of a club without knowing a thing about them and nothing is done. At the same time however someone having just read a court transcipt of Joey Barton kicking 7 shades out of a teenager says something like what a <insert profanity here> he is and they get warnings/bans.

Its summer time now and we have to have the super threads such as club discussion. This avoids the slow summer news story and new threads popping up such as last summers classic "discuss Rafa's new goatee" etc...

If we are not going to allow super threads at least ban rubbish threads such as the one mentioned above.

Do not split it into a PL and LOI forum. Half the fun is the banter against good PL fans and good LOI fans. This would kill the forum all together.

Allow topics that are slightly controversal to go on a bit longer. The first sign of a bit of GAA -v- Footie rivalry and its on lock down mode. We need things like this.

iregk wrote: »
    When I mention the tit for tat I mean for what is deemed to be personal abuse. Someone can come into to a LOI discussion say Rovers are a cretin of a club without knowing a thing about them and nothing is done. At the same time however someone having just read a court transcipt of Joey Barton kicking 7 shades out of a teenager says something like what a <insert profanity here> he is and they get warnings/bans.

Excellent point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

PHB wrote: »
    I just think mods have gotten too lack. The amount of times I've seen blatent trolling which just results in a mod saying "take it easy" or "anymore posts off topic will result in bans".

I think the only problem right now is mods not following through with the yellow card red card system, and really punishing people for every misstep. Every time you let people away with ****, they will push the boundary futher and further.

My suggestion: No more warnings. Yellow cards and red cards with no warnings whatsoever. If a mod wants ot say "Any more flaming will result in bans", they should go back through the thread, and infract the people who made them say that.

Jesus Mike Dean, Calm down. :pac:
    ...sometimes a quiet word achieves more in the long run than an infraction and/or ban.

Above is a far more sensible approach.

As for discussing matches in superthreads, AFAIK it is half for technical reasons this isn't permitted, Threads would grow too big. Matches are discussed after the fact generally in the superthreads anyways when he heat of the moment is over and it works perfectly.

I don't think many of the suggestions here would improve the soccer forum to be fair, I like the more sense of community idea, which IMO is higher than post forums on here. Granting Access is a tricky one, as a poster might be Mother Thersea in the DIY forum but turn into Joey Barton in football forum, just human nature, usually the arséholes are weeded out sooner or later though. Also Closed sub threads would kill the forum.

We have a unique situation of having some excellent Active mods on here more or less around the clock, very approachable and decent, above all football fans. I would suggest we do more to help these guys and inturn help ourselves in the long run.

There is no real rule change I would like to suggest, I would like to see people relax a bit though, untwist the panties and take 5 before responding to a post.

Oh yeah, for the coming season there will be a Boggles/Mr.Alan superthread where you will be able just to get it off your chest, what ever issues or jealousy you harbour for us. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

actually if you did some homework before posting you'd see when they picked LL and tro as mods there were some utd fans who wanted to be mod too

haha. terrible argument. as none of these UTD fans were chosen!! sorry for blocking up this thread with irrelevant flag waving!! come on the pool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Draupnir wrote: »
    I think the superthreads need to go and the threads for individual matches need to go too.

My reasoning is, all this segregation of fans serves to make the forum far more tribal than it needs to be and it means that people see it as a split forum where United, Liverpool etc. fans are separated from each other and so this adds to the "us and them" mentality.

Instead, what I think the match threads could become would be a matchday superthread and the superthreads should be removed entirely.

I appreciate that conversations may well disappear more quickly but I think it would serve to get people discussing soccer with each other as opposed to the current situation where it appears to be groups of fans discussing their clubs separately to others.

The best members of the community at present are those who are cross posting in many superthreads anyway, in my opinion. So why not make everyone follow that model by adjusting the system?

I just want to raise up my voice to vote against this idea. I think the sense of community that comes from the super threads is awesome. We are all, well the majority at least, fans of a particular team. The enjoyment of the community is a big part of football imo.
    There is still a lot of non-partisan football discussion on here.

I do think a sub forum for all the super threads and match day threads might be a good idea to free up front page space for other threads. One sub-forum would probably be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We are massively concerned about this. We have discussed it at length. We are quite passionate about stomping it out. My view is that the charter and a rules based approach is killing us on this issue. The guys who constantly snipe away at opposition fans and who's posting history essentially amounts to them being "professional riler uppers" have read the rules. They are good at staying within the rules (just) all the time and it makes our jobs very tough.

What I believe is the solution is to make those rules more flexible. So, we have a new rule / understanding along the lines of "if you are acting the prick you get nuked". And the decision on who is acting the prick or not is a judgment based one - not one based on intricate rules and previous precedent.

Ultimately, I believe that the big trolls on this forum hide behind the "I am allowed my opinion, even if its incredibly controversial and upsetting to certain people" rule. When they are constantly holding an opinion that straddles one side of a certain divide (Liverpool / Utd, LOI / EPL, etc) and tend to wheel them out tactically at the most sensitive times for those on the other side - its not a genuine opinion / contribution to this forum. You will have to excuse me, as I am unable to give specific examples or name specific usernames in this thread. But I think regulars here will 'get' what types of posts and posters I am referring to.

If I had my way, those posters could stick their time here up their gash and remain permabanned for all time. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

But I don't understand how they are within the rules.

They are stating opinions specifically to rile people up.
    Major Offences (including but not limited to):
    Trolling

If thats not the definition of trolling, I'm not sure what is.

People do these things constantly, and it results in mods saying "calm down". If its because that they think they are within the rules, the rules should be changed as you suggest above, but personally, I think its already covered.

I think a stronger line in terms of yellows, reds, etc. would result in a much better discussion. If people get a warning, it just doesn't work as well.

I know sometimes a word in the ear solves it down the line. But I don't see why its mutually exclusive. A yellow card accompanied with a "cop the **** on for crying out loud" would be much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Football is a tough, tense and contentious sport. That's why a lot of people enjoy it. We're not GAA. We don't all sit together at games wearing sombreros, and, generally, our passion dictates that we can be quite rude to each other.

I'm quite happy with a situation where a Man United fan reminds me that his club/league is infinitely better than mine, provided I can tell him that my club is my club and query why he is speaking in that funny accent like someone off Corrie. That's banter, not trolling. If I say provocatively that ManU are *%$*ers or he gratuitously dismisses all of LoI as 'crap', then that is trolling or possibly even abuse and should be controlled.

I think it would be regrettable if over-zealous moderation succeeded in producing a virtual version of sanitized football stadia, with no atmosphere and everyone doing a Mexican wave. That's why I would strongly oppose the suggestion made here by a mod that the rules be abandoned or made more flexible. This is a charter to make up the law. Rather, the rules should be clear and strictly enforced, but only after being designed to allow for as much freedom of expression as is possible.

(I agree of course that there definitely should be limits: there is no need for foul and abusive language when you are typing as opposed to letting off steam on a terrace, and people should be required to ensure that their links are legal and decent.)

While the 'Soccer' mods are to be admired and thanked for their efforts, I have said here and elsewhere that they are inclined to take their stripes too seriously and show too much enjoyment in their work. They also can be arbitrary in their decision-making and snippy when called on it.

I have frequently felt that in decisions relating to my own posts and others that the mod's own footballing loyalties have played a part. In the interests of transparency, I propose that all mods should be required to declare their footballing loyalties in or around their avatar. I don't think that's a big deal: what football fan doesn't want to declare their allegiance?

Draupnir wrote: »
    and the threads for individual matches need to go too.

I think that would be an awful idea tbh.

18 pages of Liverpool-United and the attendant arguments would drown out the rest of the weekends PL football, and is more likely to drive people away than encourage them to interact.

Some topics are big enough to stand on their own, and some are smaller and need to take place in their own space so as not to be lost in the chatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

SectionF wrote: »
    Football is a tough, tense and contentious sport. That's why a lot of people enjoy it. We're not GAA. We don't all sit together at games wearing sombreros, and, generally, our passion dictates that we can be quite rude to each other.

I'm quite happy with a situation where a Man United fan reminds me that his club/league is infinitely better than mine, provided I can tell him that my club is my club and query why he is speaking in that funny accent like someone off Corrie. That's banter, not trolling. If I say provocatively that ManU are *%$*ers or he gratuitously dismisses all of LoI as 'crap', then that is trolling or possibly even abuse and should be controlled.

(I agree of course that there definitely should be limits: there is no need for foul and abusive language when you are typing as opposed to letting off steam on a terrace, and people should be required to ensure that their links are legal and decent.)

Agree 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

I've been a long time reader of the soccer forum but only decided to join up earlier this year. I honestly think mods need to get a bit more stricter in certain ways.
    mormank wrote: »
    haha. terrible argument. as none of these UTD fans were chosen!! sorry for blocking up this thread with irrelevant flag waving!! come on the pool!!

This was posted in this thread, and tbh it's completely irrelevant, I honestly think posts like that should be worth a yellow card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I would like more Chelsea fans. ;)

I've just dealt with a reported post where a relatively new poster (just short of 3 months on the forum) used a couple of problematic words to describe another team and their manager.

Up until now he hasn't appeared on the radar, today's post was the first time any of us had to intervene, yet if we went with an earlier suggestion he'd be out the door for six months for one mistake...meanwhile people who've been on the forum for years, and who should know better, would only get a yellow card. That hardly seems fair, hardly seems conducive to integrating new users into the forum.

Do we really want to send the message that it's ok to act the tit as long as you've been around the block a few times?

The poster in question was a member of boards for longer than the periods people have suggested we should wait before granting access, and had 100s of posts.

• Advertisement

Was the post infracted, or are you now being more lenient on newer users?

edit;

I actually know the answer to this, so it would seem that newer members of the SF have a free mistake.

A user of long standing would definitely have been infracted for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SectionF wrote: »
    I'm quite happy with a situation where a Man United fan reminds me that his club/league is infinitely better than mine, provided I can tell him that my club is my club and query why he is speaking in that funny accent like someone off Corrie. That's banter, not trolling.

Personally speaking I'm not happy with such a situation and I would regard the above as trolling. I want to read opinions on football not some pissing contest between LOI and Premiership fans.

I don't know if anyone reads the letters pages on teletext (p.414) but the whole thing is dominated by repetitive tripe such as:

"My club is better than yours because..."

"No, my club is better than yours because..."

"You are not a real football fan because..."

"I am a real football fan because..."

This rubbish is STALE beyond belief and needs to be done away with on this board A.S.A.P. in my opinion. There are certain posters on the forum who delight in dragging down topics into these pissing contests and I reckon it should be stamped out.

I don't perceive this as "banter" because there is an inherently nasty tone to it each time. It comes across like people have a permanent chip on their shoulder.

Just my two cents on the matter.

You know what else is stale though.

Ill informed fúcktards and their "the LoI is shoite" comments.

I reckon that should be stamped out. Will it?

Probably not.

Will your particular gripe be addressed?

Probably.

Could I also ask that mods stop cherry picking posts from this thread to address, because it seems to me that certain topics that you like are being addressed on an ad hoc basis, and there is no proper feedback being given.

It also makes it look like other points are being ignored.

Was the post infracted, or are you now being more lenient on newer users?

edit;

I actually know the answer to this, so it would seem that newer members of the SF have a free mistake.

A user of long standing would definitely have been infracted for that.

Actually Des, it's a bit more nuanced than that.

If the abuse was "wanker" or "prick" or "scumbag" I'd most likely infract.

If it was "Fat Frank" or "Fat Spanish Waiter" or "Manure" I'd check the users history first, and if they have previous I'd hand out an infraction (and ban if they have a number of similar offences). If it's a first time offence I'd most likely delete the comment, and warn the user not to do it again.

Anyway, lets not get bogged down in individual decisions, I'd rather we focused on the principle behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

The match threads took a while for people to get used to but I believe they are a great idea. Some of the match thread would run for days after the match and if you were tired of talking about it or reading about it you still had your team thread to go to. Shouldn't change IMO.

I think the addition of LL and TRO to the mod team earlier in the year increased the numbers to what was needed. I personally have not had noticed anything that once reported hasn't been dealt with fairly quickly. If indeed it did needed to be dealt with. Off course there is the question of can you have too many mods? I dunno really.

As for improving it I like the sub forum idea. One for match threads, and one for super threads should be good enough. Splitting up the forum too much could mean people stop looking for other threads, like the boards.ie best team ones which have gone so well recently.

I also think something needs to be done regarding the access system. I don't believe we should be too harsh on letting new people in, as we could end up with people not bothering and you always need new blood.

However a stricter version of the rules for new members could be good. Currently we have 6 yellow cards and a 6 month ban. Maybe a three yellow cards and 3 month ban for new members.

A spoiler rule should be put in. Obviously match threads are going contain updates to that match but that is the only place they should be. You should have to spoiler scores for at least 24 hours after the match has finished.

The personal abuse rule should't be changed. I see what people are getting at with it though. I received with I believed were unjust infractions due to Robbie Keane:mad:, but its not a case of what your saying may not be true and justified but it can be seen to be flaming other users.

I just rambling now but anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I've just dealt with a reported post where a relatively new poster (just short of 3 months on the forum) used a couple of problematic words to describe another team and their manager.

Up until now he hasn't appeared on the radar, today's post was the first time any of us had to intervene, yet if we went with an earlier suggestion he'd be out the door for six months for one mistake...meanwhile people who've been on the forum for years, and who should know better, would only get a yellow card. That hardly seems fair, hardly seems conducive to integrating new users into the forum.

Do we really want to send the message that it's ok to act the tit as long as you've been around the block a few times?

The poster in question was a member of boards for longer than the periods people have suggested we should wait before granting access, and had 100s of posts.

Going past a certain comment mark or time frame doesn't weed out trouble-makers, I agree, but it does help to cut them down, and mods obviously feel the same, otherwise you wouldn't have to be granted access in the first place.

IMO,
    -First-time offenders should be infracted, no matter how long they've been part of the forum
    -Second offence, banned for two weeks
    -Third, banned for a month
    -Fourth, banned for three months
    -Fifth, given a permanent ban

Could I also ask that mods stop cherry picking posts from this thread to address, because it seems to me that certain topics that you like are being addressed on an ad hoc basis, and there is no proper feedback being given.

It also makes it look like other points are being ignored.

*sigh*

We're not ignoring any points made Des, I'm responding to individual points because I'd like to see some further debate on those specific posts.

I'll repeat Lloyd's promise from the very 1st post in the thread:
    we promise to listen

Would you prefer I bow out, and leave you guys to provide comment as you see fit?

We're not ignoring any points made Des, I'm responding to individual points because I'd like to see some further debate on those specific posts.
    Which kinda is the point. It makes some points seem more important that others. Or something.

Oh, I like this one, lets run with it right now, the others can wait for another time.
    Would you prefer I bow out, and leave you guys to provide comment as you see fit?

Don't know tbh.

A spoiler rule should be put in. Obviously match threads are going contain updates to that match but that is the only place they should be. You should have to spoiler scores for at least 24 hours after the match has finished.

Al, there is a rule on spoilers:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59906925&postcount=8
    DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Going past a certain comment mark or time frame doesn't weed out trouble-makers, I agree, but it does help to cut them down, and mods obviously feel the same, otherwise you wouldn't have to be granted access in the first place.

Why do I need to apply for access?
    Faced with a choice of allowing the soccer forum to degenerate into the free for all of flaming an abuse that other major soccer forums had become, or revamping the forum, the Admins and Soccer Mods decided to close the forum. After consultation with the Admins, Gandalf introduced an access process to stop banned users from re-registering to cause trouble.

That's why the access mechanism is in place. We do screen new applicants to an extent, but that is only so much use as I pointed out in an earlier post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60973940&postcount=108

Which kinda is the point. It makes some points seem more important that others. Or something.

Oh, I like this one, lets run with it right now, the others can wait for another time.

Don't know tbh.

Seems I'll be damned either way Des, Lloyd said we'll listen to what you have to say, I've said it, what more can we do? You don't know if you want me contributing, and I don't see the value in me commenting for the sake of it.

Please don't make something out of nothing.

Let the thread continue and wait for the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

hi all, dont know if the idea has been put forward or not but personally i would create a subsection for all the live match threads and maybe even one for the club threads.
    other than that, great job last season boards!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You know what else is stale though.

Ill informed fúcktards and their "the LoI is shoite" comments.

I reckon that should be stamped out. Will it?

Probably not.

Will your particular gripe be addressed?

Probably.

Ok this thing in particular is really pissing me off. You make it sound (both in this post and those earlier in the thread) that the mod team couldn't give a flying fuck about the LOI. Well sorry to burst the "We're the victims here" bubble but we do. I actively read every LOI thread a) because I'm a supporter and b) because I know that if I don't then accusations like the above will pop up.

Recently there was idiotic comments posted in the Rovers/Madrid thread. It was pounced upon immediately, posts were deleted, and everything got back on track with no fall out. Perfect scenario imo. But then again, no one ever wants to point out the positives.

The LOI is cared about and I for one don't tolerate the "LOI is shite" comments. Both sides are perfectly capable of antagonising each other so if it takes straight up bans etc to sort it then fine, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I really hope we continue to have the individual match threads, personally think they worked really well last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I've only had time to scan through the thread so apologies if this have been covered already. But my thoughts...

There is an over-reliance on rules here, I can understand why the rules are needed and my point is not disputing the rules, but more that smartish, troublemaker types can get away with a lot, by sticking within the 'rules' even though every man and his dog reading the forum can see they are trolling/baiting to get their kicks. These guys deserve a ban as much (if not more than) the guy who has gotten a bit emotional watching a game and posts calling player x or manager y a wannker or similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I really hope we continue to have the individual match threads, personally thinked they worked reallt well last season.

Gotta say at first I thought they were a bad idea, but yeah they have worked well imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

That's what makes the forum fun. A little bit of trolling is a good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Why are people calling for yet more rules & regulations to add to the Soccer forum constitution?. With infractions, bans, yellow cards & red cards as well as warnings and all that there is a complex bureaucracy in place. Is this really needed? TRO recently pm'ed me over an offensive comment, i apoligised & explained my intent, result? problem over.

Dishing out cards & warnings is all well and good but you may as well be giving out a 100 lines to write as punishment from a teacher. I guess most of the forum regulars are happy to admit if and when they're naughty, or if things get all hot and bothered and they get sarky. IME inflicting punitive measures like silly cards & warnings just entrenches people into a position of either disillusionment and/or hostility to this forum when all you really need to do is say relax its just an online forum or watch your potty mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

The amount of muppets in this forum has grown and grown since the sponsorship thing went out the window. I can see the problems with this, and the fact that people new to Boards.ie may not ever get sponsored.

So here's what I propose.

Keep the 50 Posts + 6(3?) Months rule in place.

But.

Add to that a further rule that if, within your first three months, you get a single Yellow Card Infraction, then you are subject to the current 6 Month Ban for other users who have racked up 6 Yellow Cards/Three Red Cards, or whatever that is. Extend that to within the next three months, if you receive a Straight Red Card Infraction, or rack up Three Yellow Cards, you are also subject to a 6 Month Ban.

This gives people a 6 Month "Bedding In Period" where they can be weeded out if they are actual trolls, and also, people can get to know them, learn their posting style and how to take them.

Also, I'd like to see a system whereby a user is informed by the mods once their Yellow Cards have expired.

I'd also like to see mention of scores of other games in specific match threads to become an instant two week bannable offence. It's idiotic, and there's no need for it. Especially on Champions League Nights, someone could be watching a Liverpool Match and following the match thread, when some cretin comes in and gives the score of the Milan game, which is on another TV Program later. Some clown thinking he's funny.

More protection for the LoI please.

Still people are getting away with sly digs and subtle trolling. The mods don't care and only react when posts are reported, if even. Now, mods, you may say that isn't the case. But it IS the perception. And perception is 90% the reality. In any LoI thread you are almost guaranteed some funny arsehole coming in and saying something like "yeah well, it's a crap league anyway" or something along those line. It may have been funny the first fifty times it was said, but it get old fast.

For example, if every couple of weeks or so an LoI fan posted in the Manchester United or Liverpool Threads they'd be yellow carded and banned eventually. There is nothing like the protectionism that goes for the EPL teams.

Also. Whenever a known LoI person makes any disparaging comment about English football, the usual retort is "Yeah well you're only saying that because you are an LoI fan". THIS is what drags the majority of topics that go down that road, down that road. NOT LoI Soapboxing. I think LoI fans, in the main, have given up on the soapboxing, and all that's left is idiots who won't engage in proper debate, and just drag the thread down.

How long is this thread going to run for, and will the mods give Feedback to us after the process has reached it's halfway point?

Assuming, that is, that the halfway point is when the Mods go back to discuss the ideas in here and try to come to some conclusions.

I assume this thread has a shelf life?

bit harsh IMO. im not a huge poster but made a comment about phil brown (im an arsenal supporter) which got me a yellow card soon in my posting on the soccer forum. There was no trolling involved. merely me having a go at that ,an whom i dislike intensely! Personally if i were banned for 6 months because of that I wouldn't return to the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

above point proven ^^^

ps. apologies i didn't read the thread through before making my first post above.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    That's what makes the forum fun. A little bit of trolling is a good thing

Disagree completely. Friendly banter among fans who take things in the context they were intended is a good thing.

Trolling is counter-productive, pointless, and creates unnecessary tension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

LOL I really should read that some time. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Disagree completely. Friendly banter among fans who take things in the context they were intended is a good thing.

Trolling is counter-productive, pointless, and creates unnecessary tension.

Esteban was a top class troll and the forum misses him. If you crack down on subtle trolling your going to lose the likes of Jackdaw as well which is not a good thing

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Esteban was a top class troll and the forum misses him. If you crack down on subtle trolling your going to lose the likes of Jackdaw as well which is not a good thing

We'll agree to disagree on that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Dub13 the 2 that make the most sense to me immediately are as you said a Matchday forum - which means everyone on any given day could open a thread about any individual match but also the usual Saturday EPL match day threads and Friday LOI match threads complete will all scores.

Just for the record though you'd have no interest in say a "Clubs Superthread" forum? where there would only be the Current 20 odd superthreads but would allow smaller/less supported clubs have a superthreads without being lost and on the 40th page if anyone wants to comment on something relating to the club they either run a search or just give up.

I think we could get away with one forum for Match Day Threads & Super threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement