Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Review of operation and rules of forum - your opinions wanted!

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Here's a thought, would it not be a good idea to create a separate sub-forum for LOI fans? It can be modded by LOI fans for LOI fans. They can run the place however they see fit. If someone goes in there and calls it a sh*t league, says there are useless players etc then they can be given bans by the mods there. Similar to the pro wrestling forum where when someone goes in there and says it's fake they are instantly given bans. It cuts out the nonsense.

Likewise, if LOI fans come into the soccer forum here and start stirring things up by questioning people's patriotism for supporting the EPL, La Liga etc. or start making smart comments about "go support your local side" then they can be given bans as well.

It would sort out a lot of problems I feel.

Nope. There are LOI specific forums out there. Just like there are Utd, Liverpool, whoever specific forums out there. The whole aim of this forum is for it to be a mismash of various types of football fans, and not be subject to the usual pointless tribalism and small mindedness that is typical of the above mentioned places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Mr Alan wrote: »
    are LOI fans in this thread for real!?

Cough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

If you guys have any more comments can you get them in by Friday evening, as we'll need to digest the thread amongst ourselves and arrange something for the end of this month.

7pm Friday I'll look at closing the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can those who use the tedious FYP tactic be yellow carded for the first offence and banned for the second. It really is the most tiresome way of critiquing another poster. There is an awful lot of it on the football forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

mike65 wrote: »
    Can those who use the tedious FYP tactic be yellow carded for the first offence and banned for the second. It really is the most tiresome way of critiquing another poster.

Or correcting another poster, adding to another posters comments etc. I really don't think it deserves a warning etc as its not breaking any rules.
    There is an awful lot of it on the forums.
    FYP

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well I'm suggesting it becomes a rule! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Can those who use the tedious FYP tactic be yellow carded for the first offence and banned for the second. It really is the most tiresome way of critiquing another poster. There is an awful lot of it on the football forum.
    I'd agree with that certainly.

More serious, if less common, however, is the practice of deliberately misquoting, usually with the intention of representing the target as dishonest, idiotic, extremist.

On principle, I think it should carry the heaviest possible penalty.

Both could be dealt with using post #7 of the current charter.

I'm not aware of any examples of what Section F mentions, and the only time I recall seeing fyp posts was when someone was trying to be funny.

If it is malicious then it certainly needs to be reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I don't see any problem with it, to be honest. It's really only used as a humourous jab at the opposition, and is taken as such.

Obviously there are people who will use it for abuse, but the majority do not, so why get rid of it because of a handful of eejits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with it, to be honest. It's really only used as a humourous jab at the opposition, and is taken as such.

Nobody who will use it for abuse, so don't ever get rid of it because it will destroy the forum

It's completely harmless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Des wrote: »
    ok so, once we're clear.

The soccer forum follows a non-irish calander, while the rest of boards does.

just because it's "unfeasible"

I'm not sure that we have suggested anywhere that the soccer forum calandar follows the EPL directly. What it does follow is forum traffic spikes.

We get more traffic in the EPL season than the Irish League season so in the off season for the EPL the forum is quieter and it allows the soccer mods more time to do caretaking with the reduction in match threads, bannings, infractions, feedback threads, helpdesk threads and general muppetry.

We regret if this appears to conflict nationalist notions, but we're not going to indulge a logistical nightmare over something so pedantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Can I ask will the situation regarding the Go Ahead Eagles be discussed?

In my opinion it was a brilliant concept and idea that was completely tortured and destroyed the moment its sub-forum was created. I don't know who made that decision or how that decision was made, but it really was a god-awful idea. You took something that was quintessentially started by the soccer forum posters and then took it away from the posters themselves! It was obviously the GAE was never going to last from then on.

I would be all for reforming the GAE concept with a new superthread in the soccer forum. As far as I remember it was quite popular before the move occurred, and if we find out in a few weeks or months time that the interest simply isn't there anymore, then fair enough. But we'll never know if we just let it continue to rot away in the corner.

I don't think that was 100% the soccer mod's call. Certainly, noone even mentioned it to me. The first I found out about the forum was when I found it was on my moderation list. I think that may have been an Admin call.

I do think that in such cases a thread would be the way to go to begin with. Lessons learned and all that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Everyone please ignore this man, he must be going senile or something to suggest this. Do this if everyone wants to see helpdesk/feedback threads quadruple.

There, there Mike, the nice lady with the pills will be round soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Daysha wrote: »
    Can I ask will the situation regarding the Go Ahead Eagles be discussed?

In my opinion it was a brilliant concept and idea that was completely tortured and destroyed the moment its sub-forum was created. I don't know who made that decision or how that decision was made, but it really was a god-awful idea. You took something that was quintessentially started by the soccer forum posters and then took it away from the posters themselves! It was obviously the GAE was never going to last from then on.

I would be all for reforming the GAE concept with a new superthread in the soccer forum. As far as I remember it was quite popular before the move occurred, and if we find out in a few weeks or months time that the interest simply isn't there anymore, then fair enough. But we'll never know if we just let it continue to rot away in the corner.

I think we are all in agreement the GAE forum is going to close.We just need to confirm it with the Admins.

I have moved the GAE superthread back into the main soccer forum,if it dies it dies if it gets a new breath of life well and good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

mods should have a power to ban people for just being an arsehole.

its quite clear when people are skating the thin line between being "opinionated" and in reality are just being an arsehole intentionally to piss people off.

it'd require good judgement calls, but i'd have faith in the mods abilities to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mr Alan wrote: »
    mods should have a power to ban people for just being an arsehole.

That's you fucked so :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jaysis Al, you walked into that one :)

was expecting that tbh :), still though, i was serious with my point.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'm not sure any change to the trolling rules would work. Some of the worst offenders are the same here people demanding quicker action against trolls if they annoy them, but they still want carte blanche to do the same.

eg LOI supporters demanding harsh action on people who say anything bad about the league but they same people love to troll threads about english teams. Or to constantly start threads trying to rile up the rest of the forum.

I'm not just getting at Mr. Alan above, but I'm given to understand he is one of the worse culprits on the man u thread yet is complaining about a current troll on the Liverpool thread.

Now in my opinion they should both be taking a holiday, as should people trolling LOI threads. However I can also see that to do that fairly would cause an absolute shitstorm on the forum. So I don't see how the mods can do it.

I would however like to see no use of the reasoning by mods, that because a fan or one club is trolling the other clubs thread they don't do anything when the reverse happens. The 'well you guys do it too' reason. i.e grouping fans of a clubs as a unit, not individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

copacetic wrote: »
    I'm not just getting at Mr. Alan above, but I'm given to understand he is one of the worse culprits on the man u

He isn't.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Apologies to Mr. Alan then, I don't read the man u thread and I have seen comments aimed at him, implying it was so. It must be a different liverpool fan.

I'm given to understand he is one of the worse culprits on the man u thread

troll?! :eek:

I'm the best poster in that thread! :D

Now in my opinion they should both be taking a holiday, as should people trolling LOI threads. However I can also see that to do that fairly would cause an absolute shitstorm on the forum. So I don't see how the mods can do it..

Storms of any kind don't bother me if it improves the forum or keeps order, we'll deal with those when they happen.

If this is the kind of thing people want eradicated, then we can discuss it and give the mods the mandate to act.

I do agree that some people who make angry noises about how the forum is run and how they are oh-so offended by the terrible trolls, are the same people who chow down on Billy goat every chance they get. But that has always been the way, here, in feedback and elsewhere.

Don't think we haven't noticed and discussed it.

As promised earlier this week, I'm closing the thread to allow us to complete our own discussion in good time, and *hopefully* issue a new charter by the start of August.

We are extremely grateful to everyone for their input, and as stated repeatedly we are and will be discussing every suggestion.

Update:

I've put together an amended forum charter which we'll be discussing over the next few days guys.

Some minor tweaks that will happen either way:

1. Superthreads for specific leagues (LOI, EPL, SPL, La Liga all probable)

2. A gambling thread.

3. Pointless/boring thread comments now considered threadspoiling.

4. Moderator warnings to be included in thread titles (though we shouldn't have to remind anyone to behave!!! ;))

Some of the bigger superthreads will get a restart, please leave that to us to do as we'd like to have the superthread rules in the first post of each new thread and we want to finalise them first.

Thanks again for all your contributions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement