Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone heard of Schmap?

• 02-07-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

I got a flickr mail from someone from Schmap saving that they've short-listed one of my photos for inclusion in the eighth edition of the Schmap Dublin Guide, to be published at the end of this month.

I never submitted a photo and here's the mail i got...

"Clicking this link will take you to a page where you can:
    i) See which of your photos has been short-listed.
    ii) Submit or withdraw your photo from our final selection phase.
    iii) Learn how we credit photos in our Schmap Guides.
    iv) Browse online or download the seventh edition of our Schmap Dublin Guide.

While we offer no payment for publication, many photographers are pleased to submit their photos, as Schmap Guides give their work recognition and wide exposure, and are free of charge to readers. Photos are published at a maximum width of 150 pixels, are clearly attributed, and link to high-resolution originals at Flickr.

Our submission deadline is Friday, July 10. If you happen to be reading this message after this date, please still click on the link above (our Schmap Guides are updated frequently - photos submitted after this deadline will be considered for later releases)."

I have no problem adding the photo for them, but has anyone else got anything like this from them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I got that mail in March and my picture is in the recent edition. No problems at all. I like the idea of schmap but find it difficult to navigate and find places. I think no harm in adding you pic to the short list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

The Search tab is your friend:)

12 results there (including this thread) to get your teeth into! This is the most recent one and this one is pretty comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dmohalloran

I've had the same.
    One of my photos have been included in the latest edition of the New York Guide. Seems like a good idea,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have one in the New Zealand guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

I got the same mail today but I had to decline as I couldn't provide release from 3rd parties in the photo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

This pops up regularly on the forum.

If you do a search on the forum with Schmap as the criteria, you will get lots of results like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

chicago guide for me also!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

My friends pic got chosen

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dmohalloran

Just been shortlisted for the new edition of the dublin guide. Not my greatest photo, but i guess it is ok. Does Schmap have a good eye for photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭el_loco_blanco

I had photos in the Venice, Helsinki, Tampere, London, New Zealand (South Island, Christchurch) guides at different stages. I have had a few people linking into my flickr page to look. I have even sold a few prints from them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

well this is the pic they choose from me, from Dublin zoo... I don't think it's great like, and I have better...

3373170409_5284d49bd8_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I have one on the LA schmapp. The general consensus is they seem to pick the not the greatest shots, they also link back to your flickr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

Got shortlisted with this pic for the Dublin edition.

3466533246_4ec78b862c_o.jpg

Remember all publicity helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Schmap is harmless. If anything I just get annoyed that they ask me for crap pictures and not good ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

yes , they ask me for use of my barcelona pictures .. but as someone else says .. not the better ones :(

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Yeah they used two of mine from Flickr
    one for the Galway guide and one for the Dublin guide

found them great to deal with ! sure why not !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I have had a few emails from them, but I refused to submit my images as they are a for-profit publication.

/curmudgeon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Fenster wrote: »
    I have had a few emails from them, but I refused to submit my images as they are a for-profit publication.

/curmudgeon

I think they have to cover a lot of costs and they have a Flickr account where one can post photos and comments, unlike some publishers who seem to be overly mysterious.

I thought anybody on Boards.ie who has been Schmapped might post links to their photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/boards_ie/discuss/72157611170733117/

An interesting detail, it's possible to make a personalised Schmap.
    I haven't tried it, but intend to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i got shortlisted for this photo, one I had taken off my phone and is generally a fairly crap picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

They've used mine in Amsterdam and Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I've one of some bridge... did check afterwards how it works and they seem to have lots of photos for the same landmark... your photo might be 1 of 20 that get cycled or made available to people browsing the guide

Advertisement