Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sudden health decline

Options
  • 02-07-2009 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

my dog is about 8 years old in our years. he was very lively up until recently. i think he has arthritis in his legs because hes slow to get up and lie down. he wants to sleep alot. hes always fed well. hes too young to get have these problems. is there a vitamin supplement for dogs available that could give him a boost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Bring him to the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

He's definitely not too young to have arthritis, I've seen it in dogs far younger than 8 unfortunately. Bring him to the vet, he should probably have x-rays done just to see exactly what the problem is (may or may not be arthritis, lots of different diseases can cause these symptoms), and then the vet decide on a long-term treatment plan. There are supplements that you can get for ageing dogs or dogs with arthritic changes, but you need to have him checked out first to see exactly what the cause is. What breed is he? Larger breeds in general do age far quicker than small dogs, so these symptoms would be a very normal, and an expected occurrence in some breeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

hes a sheepdog../collie..
    i dont think il bring him to vet...was told by a family member that theres nothing you can do when a dog gets arthritis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

hes a sheepdog../collie..
    i dont think il bring him to vet...was told by a family member that theres nothing you can do when a dog gets arthritis.

With all due respect your family member is giving you really bad advice - if it is arthritis there's plenty you can do like medication, hydrotherapy, acupuncture, dietary supplements, weight management and homeopathy.

You need to bring him to a vet and have him checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I second that! Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements are well known to give dogs with arthritis a new lease of life. Plus he's in pain - the vet can help with pain management, dietary advice, maybe give him steroids to help with inflammation etc.

I suspect that if it was yourself that was suffering and miserable, you wouldn't just decide there was nothing to be done unless you're a masochist!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Well, the 'family member' needs to get their facts straight!
    True, you cannot cure arthritis BUT you can make sure that your dog doesn't suffer! If he's sore and stiff now, can you imagine how bad it'll be in the Winter? The poor dog, I dread to think...
    There's loads you can do, aside from getting sound advice from your vet with regard to feeding and exercise adjustment. You can give daily medication to ease the pain and reduce joint inflammation, and special diets to slow down the progression of the disease. Don't just wave if off because he's old. He's been a faithful companion to you all his life, you OWE it to him to get proper veterinary help when he's in pain. I certainly would not let my dogs suffer the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

ok..suppose i just believed that it was generative and couldn't be cured
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

ok..suppose i just believed that it was generative and couldn't be cured
    thanks

It can't be cured but the symptoms can be managed so that he'll feel much better and more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

was told by a family member that theres nothing you can do when a dog gets arthritis.
    Not true! As other posters have stated there have been nany many advances in arthritis management and it is certainly not the end of the road for your dog. Do not leave him to suffer as it is quite painful and disabling for him as it progresses. Research it on the net even if you dont want to go to your vet. Glucosamine and chondroitin is a start and even the human version that you get in any chemist can be used as a supplement (ensure correct dosage).

Is he a working collie? If so, his exercise will have to be reduced as intense exercise for prolonged periods wont help.

It is a very manageable (not cureable though) disease so do some research to help the poor fella out. Start with this http://www.dogarthritiscare.com/

Advertisement