Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bored as Hell

• 02-07-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is there no fun at all in driving these days? Motoring is reduced to nothing more than pushing pedals and staring at a speedometer in case a Garda has a hairdryer nearby.... it's just not *fun* anymore... and now it's arguable if driving was ever meant to be fun in the first place...

But dear God... I *used* to look forward to getting into the car.

So come on... how do we put the fun back into day to day motoring?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A lot of it depends on where/when you drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

living in dublin saps all the fun out of driving. When i go home i enjoy it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Dartz wrote: »
    Move to Germany and buy a house right next to the Autobahn!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Dean09 wrote: »
    Move to Germany and buy a house right next to the Autobahn!!

Can't afford it.

Tried driving at autobahn speeds though.... that gets expensive.

I live around Dublin, drive rarer and rarer, and own a Renault Laguna that's bucked the trend and never gone wrong. Funnest thing I ever did with it was 'surprise' a few ricers in Wexford once... but that's a long story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sounds like someone needs a motorbike... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Buy an Alfa 8)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

When ever I'm bored I just drive on the other side of the road, reduces Boredom for the other drivers too :) Or drive at night with the lights off, my fav..

Seriously
    Why not try taking yer car to the likes of Mondello, spend a while legally tearing up the Tarmac there. lots of track days held there..

Is it just me or is there no fun at all in driving these days? Motoring is reduced to nothing more than pushing pedals and staring at a speedometer in case a Garda has a hairdryer nearby.... it's just not *fun* anymore... and now it's arguable if driving was ever meant to be fun in the first place...

RasTa wrote: »
    Sounds like someone needs a motorbike... :)

I actually have one funnily enough... an ancient BMW K100 that I've been trying to get running since God knows when... Problem is, getting the right license for it is a bloody minefield.

I don't think I could do Mondello with my car... it's only a 1.8... and is a barge. It carry's speed well enough alright, but that's about it.

Thanks anyway folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I don't think I could do Mondello with my car... it's only a 1.8... and is a barge. It carry's speed well enough alright, but that's about it.

Driving on a track in any car will teach you about your limits and the cars. It's not about power...You could have fun on a lawnmower...

You should go along someday for a look and see, it's not only fast cars that are there....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Have fun but be "stealthy" about it!

I was at Mondello today doing theur racing school, epic fun! you should definately try it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

90% of the fun is the car. Get a car you love and you'll never be bored. I can't wait to get into my car everyday, even it means driving down to the shops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I live around Dublin, drive rarer and rarer, and own a Renault Laguna
    now we are getting to the root of the problem
    qz wrote: »
    Buy an Alfa 8)

I agree....there's a nice GT on adverts;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Forget the GT... buy my GTV :D

and go to a few track day's if you're bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Towbar for the tractorguna, trailor and a running H22A or similar. Bosh. Thinking of it myself. I wonder would my shopping car (startlet) pull a trailor. would look funny though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Get an old renault, oh the fun you will have even trying to start it :pac:

another way to have some great fun is the sally gap (rally style;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

You should get a (old) mini, they handle great, get lots of attention, feel a lot faster than your going, cheap to run to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

get an Evo/STi/S2000/Supra

you wont be bored then! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

man, I love driving....enjoy every journey I make.

Also, there seems to be a serious lack of speed traps down this side of the country. Driving an M3 for 10months now and have yet to get any penalty points :eek:

EDIT: I just realised I am now almost guaranteed to get caught over the weekend!!!!

grahambo wrote: »
    get an Evo/STi/S2000/Supra

you wont be bored then! :)

Haha, I'll be laughing when I hit that tree head on.

It's hard to replace a car when you haven't go a lot of cash mind. Ah but, I tried to inject a bit of spirit into my driving.... it sort of worked...

Manual mode on the gearbox, and staying off the main road sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

jimbling wrote: »
    man, I love driving....enjoy every journey I make.

Also, there seems to be a serious lack of speed traps down this side of the country. Driving an M3 for 10months now and have yet to get any penalty points :eek:

EDIT: I just realised I am now almost guaranteed to get caught over the weekend!!!!

Oh sweet jeebus that is a jinx if there ever was one. Your screwed:P:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement