Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie question

Options
  • 02-07-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hey all, I've never played WoW but am planning to pick it up shortly.
    I'm just curious, things have moved on a bit since the game first came out, there have been two expansion packs.
    If I install the original version of the game, am I going to find myself on a near empty, deserted, old server until I've installed the expansion packs? Or would I be mingling with people running the different versions of the game? (the difference being that they could go to areas and get items i could not).

Basically I want to know do I run through the original version of the game, and play alongside lots of others before installing expansion packs, or do I need to install them from the start?

Sorry if the question seems stupid but I'm new to the MMORPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

theres only a handful of places you can't go without the expansions most of which you won't even notice until you get higher level and you'll more than likely have bought the expansions by then.

As for playing with people, you're sure to always meet people levelling or find random people for instances plus you'll shedloads of people in main cities still, so you'll have your fair share of contact with other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Thanks, that's all I needed to know

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The only other thing you'll miss without the expansions is the ability to play certain class/race combinations. No Blood Elfs, Draenei or Deathnights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

smithcity wrote: »
    Hey all, I've never played WoW but am planning to pick it up shortly.
    I'm just curious, things have moved on a bit since the game first came out, there have been two expansion packs.
    If I install the original version of the game, am I going to find myself on a near empty, deserted, old server until I've installed the expansion packs? Or would I be mingling with people running the different versions of the game? (the difference being that they could go to areas and get items i could not).

Basically I want to know do I run through the original version of the game, and play alongside lots of others before installing expansion packs, or do I need to install them from the start?

Sorry if the question seems stupid but I'm new to the MMORPG

Always people lvling up alt's and the like. Pick a well populated server, maybe join a guild one of the guy's on boards.ie is in, if they would be so kind as to show you the rope's. And like was stated, dont worry about exspansion's till you have decided you like the game, it wont have any bearing on you lvlin g from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

You can get the "battlechest" in alot of places now that contains wow plus the first expansion (and some printed guides that are probably out of date now) for like 17 euros. HMV Im sure had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Yeah, I've seen that battlechest. I'll probably pick it up, just waiting for my laptop to come back. It's away for repairs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Wow's a portable app, so if you install onto a (fairly big) Memory stick, you can plug and play on any machine...

Advertisement