Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advise! Cost of owning a car.

• 02-07-2009 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I've just moved over to Dublin and am thinking of buying a car, but have no idea how it all works over here. If I buy a car what costs are attached to it, other than the selling price and petrol? I'm 21 and have had my license for 5 years....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Where have you moved from? Just wondering because you've had your license since 16...
    Well you have car Tax, Insurance which will depend on the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Buttons2411

I moved from Australia - We learn to drive at 16 and can get a full license at 17 ... So it's been almost 5 years that i've had my lisence for as I'll be 22 soon!

So does car tax depend on the car you also? I've noticed 3 disks being displayed on many cars here, what are they all for?

So all I have to pay for is insurance and car tax if I've never owned a vehicle before and am starting from scratch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The 3 discs are insurance, tax, NCT (national car test). Thats all you'll need to get out on the road and drive. Also the tax depends on what size the engine is. the bigger the engine, the dearer the tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You would also have to exchange your Aussi driving licence for an Irish one, if you intend to stay here
    If you are a holder of a licence issued by one of these states you can drive in Ireland when visiting, providing your licence is valid. If you become normally resident in Ireland, you can drive for up to 12 months from the date of becoming resident, as long as your licence has not expired. You are considered to be normally resident in Ireland if, because of personal and occupational ties, you usually live here for at least 185 days in each calendar year.

If you wish to exchange your driving licence for an equivalent Irish driving licence, you must do so within one year of your driving licence expiring.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

Gret thanks for that, can anyone adivise a reasonable insurance company? I got a quote for AA which came to just over 1000 Euro, and that took into account that I would change my licence to an Irish one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gret thanks for that, can anyone adivise a reasonable insurance company? I got a quote for AA which came to just over 1000 Euro, and that took into account that I would change my licence to an Irish one.

Best thing to do is get out the local goldenpages and ring around every insurance company and insurance broker in the land for the best quote. Just take note of what is covered under each policy because the cheapest quote is not necessarily the most comprehensive cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

In addition to the costs already outlined I will just point out that the costs of repairing and servicing a car can be very high here Buttons2411. It is well worth shopping around to get a good price for jobs, at least in the first instance and I'm sure eventually you will get to know whats what. I'd be inclined to avoid main dealers like the plague. Re motor tax cars registered after July 2008 are taxed on a different basis to engine size. Tax on these cars will be determined on their C02 emissions. In general diesels tend to fair better as a result I believe. Petrol cars with sporty and/or turbo engines would be in higher brackets generally. This new classification method also has a bearing on the cost of a vehicle on day 1 and the tax (or Vehicle Registration Tax) included in the initial cost of vehicle. I think I am fairly close to the mark on the above but other posters please feel free to pull me up on any point if I am incorrect.

As Bazz26 suggests it would be well worth your while picking up the golden pages and ringing as many insurance companies and brokers as possible as you may be surprised what you could save by doing so. Mind you I think a grand is very good for somebody starting off driving for the first time in this country at the age of 21 (I am assuming you are a female driver) without knowing and regardless of level of cover and think you would probably be hard pushed to get it much cheaper but worth a go all the same no doubt. Car insurance tends to be the most restrictive cost for people getting on the road here for the first time. I have many friends whose car insurance cost a lot more than their car when they first took to the road.

I am unsure how petrol prices here compare to Australia but am sure you may well have an idea of that yourself already. Worth keeping an eye on the prices among various filling stations as you may save a few quid but wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. In general the prices among petrol stations in the same town/city tend to be very close if not the same.

Other than that don't think there are really any major hidden costs. You will need to pay for parking in most major towns and cities. Otherwise if you are a resident in a built up area you may need to apply for a parking permit or indeed a county/ city council permit. I'm sure a neighbour/ flatmate/ landlord etc. would be able to tell you the deal here.

Hope the above helps somewhat Buttons2411

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Thanks so much for all the info. Is there any place thats best to look to purchase a vehicle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks so much for all the info. Is there any place thats best to look to purchase a vehicle?

It would depend on what part of the country you are in Buttons2411 and what type of vehicle you intend to buy/ how much you are willing to spend. I can recommend a number of motor traders in my home county of Limerick but as for the rest of the country I wouldn't be in a position to comment. There is the option of buying privately in which case it would be recommended you get an independent mechanic to give the car a once over check and also doing a finance check through cartell.ie or motorcheck.ie would be highly recommended if not crucuial. For buying privately the buy and sell or donedeal.ie are pretty good I think. Remember that the world and his wife seem to be trying to sell their car at the moment so all the bargaining power is in your hands and you should endevaour to drive a good deal for yourself. Remember one of the greatest bargaining tools you have is the ability to walk away. I'm sure if its a case that there is a particular car you have your heart set on there is one similar for sale elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement