Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 0, etc

Options
  • 02-07-2009 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I'm sure this is an incredibly naive question, but I hear a lot of technical project managers talking about level 0, level 1, level 2, and everyone nods their head knowledgeably, including me. But I actually have no idea what these refer to - apart from that level 0 means almost nothing has happened.

I have tried Google and Wikipedia and none of the answers correspond to the type of jargon use I hear around me.

Can anyone explain these levels? how many of them are there, and what do they mean?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

it might be something to do with technical support?

Level 1: help desk

Level 2: technical support for a help desk.

Level 3: next level of support, would ultimately solve a problem that level 1 and 2 can't solve

yeah, i know you're referring to programming, might be something similar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Could also be the same as Tiers.
    i.e.
    Tier 1 would be your webserver
    Tier 2 Application Server
    Tier 3 Database

But in my experience Level is always associated with support/HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

Rt. Hon. wrote: »
    I'm sure this is an incredibly naive question, but I hear a lot of technical project managers talking about level 0, level 1, level 2, and everyone nods their head knowledgeably, including me. But I actually have no idea what these refer to - apart from that level 0 means almost nothing has happened.

I have tried Google and Wikipedia and none of the answers correspond to the type of jargon use I hear around me.

Can anyone explain these levels? how many of them are there, and what do they mean?

Thanks

I think you should ask the person that used the phrase... then post his answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭totoal

would it be relating to Work_breakdown_structure?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

why not just ask what he means !!

Could he be refering to the Capability Maturity Model Integration:

Capability Level 0: Incomplete
    Capability Level 1: Performed
    Capability Level 2: Managed
    Capability Level 3: Defined
    Capability Level 4: Quantitatively Managed
    Capability Level 5: Optimizing

ref: http://www.sei.cmu.edu/pub/documents/06.reports/pdf/06tr008.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

It should be obvious from the context, which you have not provided. As such my vote goes with CMM, as in the previous post. It's the only one where level 0 is mentioned alot, in Irish companies. :)

Advertisement