Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyowen Lane, Lucan/Liffey Valley.

Options
  • 02-07-2009 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Does anybody have any info regarding if it is a nice area? Currently looking at a house there for a young family of 4 and might take the plunge and buy it. I rang Lucan Garda Station and they had no complaints. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

I live just up the road from Ballyowen Lane and reckon that its character is very mixed, as up until a few years ago it was only a country lane before a lot of developments took place that haven't really had time to settle. Now there's a mixture of new private housing estates with young families, LOTS of rented houses, a council estate, a traveller camp and even a mosque operating from a house! One of the estates is no older than 4 years and already has broken trees/ glass/ fire marks on the roads and children out playing until really late in the evening, while others seem to be much calmer and are well maintained.

Whether it's a nice area or not for you depends on whether you're comfortable with such diversity. My personal feeling is that ANYWHERE with such a high proportion of rented accomodation will take a long time to settle down as there will be a relatively high turnover of residents. Don't know if that's a great place for a young family!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lord Jules

gwjones42 wrote: »
    I live just up the road from Ballyowen Lane and reckon that its character is very mixed, as up until a few years ago it was only a country lane before a lot of developments took place that haven't really had time to settle. Now there's a mixture of new private housing estates with young families, LOTS of rented houses, a council estate, a traveller camp and even a mosque operating from a house! One of the estates is no older than 4 years and already has broken trees/ glass/ fire marks on the roads and children out playing until really late in the evening, while others seem to be much calmer and are well maintained.

Whether it's a nice area or not for you depends on whether you're comfortable with such diversity. My personal feeling is that ANYWHERE with such a high proportion of rented accomodation will take a long time to settle down as there will be a relatively high turnover of residents. Don't know if that's a great place for a young family!
    Very informative mate. Yeah I got told there was a traveller camp and i drove down by that estate and there were kids swinging from trees and doing all sorts. Bit of a diverse family(my wife is brazillian) so that isn't a problem but I am leaning towards a no more than a yes the negatives outweigh the positives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Which side of Ballyowen Lane? The side near the N4 junction is rather nice. The other side is quite dense and built up, (down near the Eurospar).

I agree with gwjones42, it is a very diverse area, and there is quite a large population of both Africans, Pakistanis, Arabs, and there are a few Sikhs. However, it has never been an issue and I doubt it will become one.

I'm not sure if I agree on the kids front, there seems to be a lot of people with children living by there, and certainly if the kids go to school in Lucan they'll make friends anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

"I'm not sure if I agree on the kids front, there seems to be a lot of people with children living by there, and certainly if the kids go to school in Lucan they'll make friends anyway"

Good point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AudiSline

Would you not consider the Moyglas, Griffeen or Esker estates further down the road? They all have fairly cose net communities & very active residents associations which is alway a plus.
    I'm in Lucan 10 yrs now and no probs so far.. although it is getting fairly built up so hopefully things will remain good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ursel

Hi I`m thinking abaut buying house,but I`m littele worry becouse ther living travellers, i don`t now this people-but I`m afraid I hope so they are ok, pleas give me advaice good People, is that good are to living, Lucan-ballyowen Lane-foxford?

Thank`s:)))))

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Hi. Didn't want to start a new thread on this, but this is quite an old one though. Can anybody tell me what the area is like now? I'm looking at a few places in the Liffey Avenue area. Seems nice enough from my inital drive through. Any trouble makers in the area? What's the traffice like in the morning getting out to the M50?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Traffic is fine to the M50 in the mornings, its gets a bit clogged up after half 8 on the St.Lomans Rd due to parents dropping their kids off at school and heading to work.
    The estate hasn't has changed much from the previous comments on the estate, it's a mixture of rented and owner occupied houses, it is a very diverse area, and there is quite a large population of both Africans, Pakistanis, Arabs, and there are a few Sikhs.The Mosque is still there, although the worshippers don't park outside the Mosque due to the double-yellow lines, they park on Liffey Ave now, clogging up that Rd, leaving only space for one car to get up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Eric The Great

Avoid if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Peg Leg

I think the estates closer to superquinn are better alternatives as they are closer to schools, adamstown train station, when getting the bus in the morning it's easier to get on, easier to get on to the M50 at peak times, as well as being a closer walk to the main area of the village

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

For the same money you could probably get something better in more settled estates. Ballyowen lane can be wild especially on the weekends with mint nightclub up the road. Also just in the paper today.

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/mum-beat-up-woman-over-school-run-row-29275485.html

Wouldn't fancy moving in next door to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    For the same money you could probably get something better in more settled estates. Ballyowen lane can be wild especially on the weekends with mint nightclub up the road. Also just in the paper today.

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/mum-beat-up-woman-over-school-run-row-29275485.html

Wouldn't fancy moving in next door to that!

What's that got to do with Ballyowen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Ballyowen is a term used locally to refer to a large enough general area. Ballyowen Road is also not the same as Ballyowen Lane. Some posts here don't seem to know the difference. The Lane is also divided in more recent years by other roads and the different sections are of very different character.

Most of Ballyowen is nice but there are some problem estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

stoneill wrote: »
    What's that got to do with Ballyowen?

The article says the attacker lives in Liffey Grove, which is just besides Ballyowen Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

unkel wrote: »
    The article says the attacker lives in Liffey Grove, which is just besides Ballyowen Lane

An attacker could live anywhere, doesnt make it a bad area!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hools

Hi just wondering what the area is like now? I'm looking at a house on ballyowen lane just behind the soccer pitch. It's in St. Marys parish. Is that part ok?

Advertisement