Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth the extra money for USM with a canon 50mm?

• 02-07-2009 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a nice cheap 50mm, you can pick them up for €80, but is it worth spending the extra €50 for the USM one? Camera Centre in dublin have the USM ones for €130
    http://www.camera.ie/slr-lenses/canon/13993/ef-50mm-f1-8
    I notice some reviews say it could do with a USM motor. Anyone any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Yes, absolutely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the 50 1.8 doesn't have a USM version - you have to go up to the 1.4 for that. 130 euro is the standard retail price for the lens in Dublin. Its exactly the same lens that you're seeing on ebay for 50 quid less.

An oversight I'm sure, but someone should get on to the Camera Centre and let them know of their mistake..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Fenster wrote: »
    Yes, absolutely!

Cool, a few reviews on the non usm one seem to say the old motor was horrible! €130 is still cheap for a great lens

EDIT : it doesn't have IS either! :eek:

sineadw wrote: »
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the 50 1.8 doesn't have a USM version - you have to go up to the 1.4 for that. 130 euro is the standard retail price for the lens in Dublin. Its exactly the same lens that you're seeing on ebay for 50 quid less.

An oversight I'm sure, but someone should get on to the Camera Centre and let them know of their mistake..

Yeah, was thinking that. I thought there was a USM version, apparently an older version strangely enough. To be honest i'd be surprised if the camera centra had the usm one, probably just a misprint, i'll give them a call before i head out to them

• Advertisement

sineadw wrote: »
    EDIT : it doesn't have IS either! :eek:
    Oh yeah, just noticed that, definitely a mistake there! Cheers, looks like it's the bog standard non-usm one then!

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Oh yeah, just noticed that, definitely a mistake there! Cheers, looks like it's the bog standard non-usm one then!

Yep - sure is.. sorry about that.. :(

Should have known straight away. Good value camera equipment in Dublin? Yeah right!
    Actually, off topic, but I'm heading up to Newry tomorrow, any decent shops up there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Should have known straight away. Good value camera equipment in Dublin? Yeah right!
    Actually, off topic, but I'm heading up to Newry tomorrow, any decent shops up there?

Jessops is in newry afaik

Advertisement