Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whos getting the N86 8MP?

• 02-07-2009 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Nokia-N86-8MP-indigo_01_lowres.jpg

Available from tomorrow, and its really the phone to replace the N95, well its the most likely follow on from the n95 with the same form factor and similar specs. Considering how many people have the n95 was wondering are many going for it? Or why not?

Full Tech Specs

Ofcourse the standing out point is that its nokia's first 8MP camera with wide angle carl zeiss lens and optics, variable aperture, mechanical shutter and motion-blur reduction. It has won the best imaging device of 2009 from tipa which helps it, but i have seen it compared to other devices including the n97 and n95 and has a definite improvement.

Nokia-N86-8MP-indigo_12_lowres.jpg

Another new feature is the kickstand pictured above. This kickstand will launch an app like a video player as soon as you open it out. Its also built with a spring mechanism.

It has all the usual A-gps, music player, 8gb internal memory, microSD up to 16gb, bluetooth etc. Its has a few new little features like the keypad unlock switch, same as the n97. Its running on S60 3rd though.

Also available in white:
    Nokia-N86-8MP-white_25_lowres.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Nothing jumping out and saying it's a must have upgrade over the N95 8gb.
    Yes the camera might be better, but if I need a photograph better than my
    phone cam I'll use a compact camera or DSLR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Nothing jumping out and saying it's a must have upgrade over the N95 8gb.
    Yes the camera might be better, but if I need a photograph better than my
    phone cam I'll use a compact camera or DSLR.

I agree. I've read articles on the N86 recently and it seems a simple evolutionary upgrade rather than revolutionary. Considering that Samsung's latest handsets are breaking new ground, e.g. 720p video recording, I hope Nokia would be trying to innovate by showcasing new features and not imitate by rehashing features found on other handsets on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Any word on any Irish Operators carrying this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It looks interesting (I have the n95 8gig at the moment too) but I don't know if the camera is enough to justify the upgrade at the moment :(

I have some concerns over that top keypad there ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Any word on any Irish Operators carrying this?

O2 are going to carry it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That's one fugly phone. From what I've seen of the n95 I don't doubt this is a capable bit of hardware but Apple have really shown up Nokia et al for cheap ass design. And I'm no Apple fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 keeluz

N95 8GB was great...N96 was just bigger and ugly looking

N85 is a great phone if you're not into touchscreens....N86 is just bigger and ugly looking

N97 is a super piece of technology...but when it comes to talking and texting...it's a pain in the a##e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Here it is being compared to N82, whose camera is considered to be the best among Nokia phones.

http://brar.wordpress.com/2009/06/30/nokia-n86-8mp-vs-n82-photo-comparison-and-review/

I have to say I'm impressed, way better than the N82, even in night shots.

I'm seriously considering this one, but it's looks are stopping me, I like the N95 8GB's huge screen and it's looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Why is everyone saying the camera on the N86 is better than the N97, are they not the same camera, can someone point me to the difference?

http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/ctia-nokia-n86-8mp-hands-on/

"But on the other hand, as I’ve mentioned before, the N86 is what the N85 should have been in the first place. I’m disappointed that the N97 flagship features an inferior camera."

• Advertisement

DRice wrote: »
    Why is everyone saying the camera on the N86 is better than the N97, are they not the same camera, can someone point me to the difference?

http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/ctia-nokia-n86-8mp-hands-on/

"But on the other hand, as I’ve mentioned before, the N86 is what the N85 should have been in the first place. I’m disappointed that the N97 flagship features an inferior camera."

Camera on N97 is pretty crappy. 5 mega pixels.

N86 has 8mp, and the new optics, wider lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

As said, the camera seems to be the only real upgrade over the N95. However, it only has a LED flash. If it had Xenon flash instead, I would seriously consider purchasing it.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Camera on N97 is pretty crappy. 5 mega pixels.

N86 has 8mp, and the new optics, wider lens.

that sucks!! really. is it much better i am confused now.

Got any opinions on the C905 vs N86 camera wise, the C905 has the xenon but the N86 seems to be getting people voting for its optics and lens

DRice wrote: »
    that sucks!! really. is it much better i am confused now.

Got any opinions on the C905 vs N86 camera wise, the C905 has the xenon but the N86 seems to be getting people voting for its optics and lens

There is a review of the Samsung M8910 Pixon12 in which it is compared against the Sony Ericsson C905 and the Nokia N86; you might find it useful.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    There is a review of the Samsung M8910 Pixon12 in which it is compared against the Sony Ericsson C905 and the Nokia N86; you might find it useful.

wow Samsung's pictures look amazing.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    wow Samsung's pictures look amazing.

They do indeed. Although I was previously under the assumption that the more megapixels crammed into the sensor of a handset's camera the worse the quality would be, it definitely seems that the improvements in technology that can be witnessed in the Samsung M8910 Pixon12 is ensuring that this does not occur.

I'm pleasantly surprised that it is possible to offer a high megapixel sensor in a handset and also offer great quality images too; something I have not experienced when going from the 3.2 megapixel camera on the Sony Ericsson K800i to the 5 megapixel camera on the Sony Ericsson K850i.

Any idea when irish networks will run with the Samsung M8910 Pixon12? September maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

o2 have the n86 from €199 to €299 on bill and its €399 on prepay.

Advertisement