Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade!

• 02-07-2009 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Right !

Finally I have succombed and got the itch to upgarde my 400D ...

I've been spending some money on glass ... just got my 1st L series lenses there --- nice !!

So was thinking of getting a new body, mainly to use for landscape, bit of street and animal work...

budget is around €2,000 ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

5D mkII?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

berengar wrote: »
    Right !

Finally I have succombed and got the itch to upgarde my 400D ...

I've been spending some money on glass ... just got my 1st L series lenses there --- nice !!

So was thinking of getting a new body, mainly to use for landscape, bit of street and animal work...

budget is around €2,000 ...

Why not get some more L grade glass?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

Fajitas! wrote: »
    5D mkII?

good idea ....

sold ..... one 5d mk II coming up ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

canon eos 3 for landscapes(and anything else you want with full frame advantage) so you can still use your canon lenses and eos 40d as an update for the 400d. you should have 1200euro or more left over for more lenses.

Well i have been wanting to make the move to FF ... I like the extra wideness
    and the better DOF ... problem is ill lose reach for animal shots ...

isn-t the EOS 3 a film camera ?

• Advertisement

berengar wrote: »
    isn-t the EOS 3 a film camera ?

yes, and its got much better autofocus than the 5d mkII.
    shoot slide film for landscape and digital for everything else, you will save alot of money over buying a 5d mkII. you could prob sell the eos3 in a year or 2 for the same price you paid for it and buy a cheap secondhand 5d mkII.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd be much more confident in the 5D MKII's AF than the Eos 3's. The only advantage the EOS 3 has over the 5D is the amount of AF points. The actually accuracy of which is going to be better, low light or not, on the 5D mk II (Don't worry, I use(d) both). With the MkII, you're looking at AF in the centre, the left, or the right, but hey - when do you need any more than that? If you're aiming for the world of landscapes, I wouldn't consider automatic focus high up on the list of needs anyways :)

Also, if you're thinking of going to go down the film route for landscapes, don't be as silly as to go for a 35mm camera, invest in a larger format - Medium format systems are going for crazy low money these days, you're getting a huge neg back compared to the 35mm, and it's not as if you're going to need fast lenses for it.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'd be much more confident in the 5D MKII's AF than the Eos 3's. The only advantage the EOS 3 has over the 5D is the amount of AF points. The actually accuracy of which is going to be better, low light or not, on the 5D mk II (Don't worry, I use(d) both). With the MkII, you're looking at AF in the centre, the left, or the right, but hey - when do you need any more than that? If you're aiming for the world of landscapes, I wouldn't consider automatic focus high up on the list of needs anyways :)

Also, if you're thinking of going to go down the film route for landscapes, don't be as silly as to go for a 35mm camera, invest in a larger format - Medium format systems are going for crazy low money these days, you're getting a huge neg back compared to the 35mm, and it's not as if you're going to need fast lenses for it.

maybe true but its still a better camera than many of the currrent semi pro dslr's, except for the fact its not digital.
    i presume the viewfinder is 100% coverage, could be 95%, cant remember. i have a 300v for landscapes but its 90% coverage, i got it at a great price so im not complaining. if you decide on medium format you might end up wanting more than 1 medium format lens and you wont be able to use both for your dslr. maybe a cheap eos 300 and some veliva or provia film and decide after you see the results if you want to use film for landscapes. i know medium format is the pro's choice but you can get large prints from slow 35mm film and good technique.

eos 3
    Metering Range EV 0-20
    AF Working Range EV 0-18

eos 5d mkII
    Metering Range EV 1-20
    AF Working Range EV -0.5-18

so it seems the 5d mkII has better low light autofocus but autofocus performance its not an issue with landscapes like you said

An EOS 3 wouldn't be available to buy new ?

how much would it be about 2nd hand ?

yes -- i'll check google now aswell ..

edit -- i see it's about 100 pounds 2nd hand ... not bad ... maybe ill get that and a 50D ,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Good luck with the new purchase ,Im in the same boat myself, altho would love a 5D,I'll have to settle upgrading my 450D to a 50D ;) ,Was going to see how much Conns would do on a trade in ... Or might take the trip up north !

• Advertisement

Daz R1 wrote: »
    Good luck with the new purchase ,Im in the same boat myself, altho would love a 5D,I'll have to settle upgrading my 450D to a 50D ;) ,Was going to see how much Conns would do on a trade in ... Or might take the trip up north !

if i could afford a 50d id much rather buy a secondhand 5d(mkI)
    5d sensor is still far superior to the 50d. the 50d will have better more advanced noise reduction but if u shoot raw with noise reduction off you will get better results with software noise reduction

here is some data to back that:
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/267|0/(appareil2)/176|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Investing in 35mm camera sounds good before you begin search for good film scanner and includes lab processing of 1000 rolls of film (at least fiver each).

5DMkII has much more to offer, at least resolution, ISO range, video, preview, histogram, live view, no need to replace film every 36 shots, possibility to change ISO anytime within (imaginary) 36 shots, highlight priority.

If you can afford it, go for 5DmkII, that camera is capable of more than most of the amateur photographers could only dream of (talking literally about myself).

ThOnda wrote: »
    Investing in 35mm camera sounds good before you begin search for good film scanner and includes lab processing of 1000 rolls of film (at least fiver each).

5DMkII has much more to offer, at least resolution, ISO range, video, preview, histogram, live view, no need to replace film every 36 shots, possibility to change ISO anytime within (imaginary) 36 shots, highlight priority.

If you can afford it, go for 5DmkII, that camera is capable of more than most of the amateur photographers could only dream of (talking literally about myself).
    if you have both a digital and film slr you wont be shooting anywhere near 1000 rolls of film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

A guy I work with about 2 weeks ago was talking about spending €300 in a good tripod. He had a 30D at the time and was starting to move beyond it. I told him for €300 he could probably sell his body and lenses he didn't use and put that €300 towards a used 5D. 2 days later his body was sold, some 70-300 lense, a 28-70, grip and other odds and ends. That weekend he dfrove to Cork and bought a 5D for €950...which only cost him €300 after selling everything he didn't use. He hasnb't looked back at all. His images have instantly improved because he was ready to make the move towards a pro camera.

Granted he did have the 17-40 50mm 1.8 and 100mm 2.8 lens to match the 5D. I actually showed him alot of Thonda's work to convince him that a 5D was a bargain as he was talking about the 5DII. He hasn't been happier. So sell what you can and get a 5D. You'll still have about €1500 to buy some nice glass after you sell your current body too. A win/win situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Well F:):)K yiz anyway ,I'm now thinking of scraping the 50D idea and going for the 5D :D:D

Advertisement