Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merlin Car Auction Question`

• 02-07-2009 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of going there tomorrow.

I was wondering if there are big savings to be made?
    Do all cars have a reserve ?

Any info would be nice, Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Well tip No1 , dont buy anything tomorrow unless you've been there today to see whats going through and what sort of condition its in. Take it that everything is bol)(xed when you go in and work from there. Inspect ,inspect ,inspect....and even then the clued in get caught sometimes. The Friday morning auction has alot of traders ( so far anyway ) so the prices are'nt like down in Naas ( i.e not so expensive) but Im telling you buyer beware. You can get a rush of blood to the head at these places and thats when you get chewed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Prices have increased alot in Nass as a result of all the advertising.
    This brings Joe public along and the auctioneer rubs his hands and milks him for the last penny.
    I saw a '08 Mondeo tcdi sell for €17000 which wasen'f a bad price at all.
    The funny thing was i priced the same year Mondeo accross the road in a Ford main dealer for almost the same price.
    Difference is you get a warranty in the Ford dealer and a test drive.
    Just be carefull,there are bargains to be had if you take your time.
    Keep your hands in your pocket for the first visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

I'd have my doubts about any benefit for the private punter buying at auction considering the low current retail prices of cars for sale privately or from the trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Certainly no bargains on any desireable stuff at Merlin on saturday mornings at least. Too many non trade bidders (myself included) but this raises the prices to near retail levels.
    You will see the odd thing go very cheap, ex garda mondeo etc will go for a song.

Advertisement