Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further heavy rain and storm risk tonight, 2nd/3rd July (East, Midlands and North)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Fairly heavy rain just started in Portlaoise now but I haven't seen or heard anything thundery since my last post so that stuff that was coming up from Carlow might have died off by now, from the looks of it, apart from the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

Fairly heavy rain just started in Portlaoise now but I haven't seen or heard anything thundery since my last post so that stuff that was coming up from Carlow might have died off by now, from the looks of it, apart from the rain.

yep, it's pissing down in portlaoise right now. 00:14 3rd jul 09

And now it's all but stopped again! So much for the night of epic, end of the world-type thunder and lightning I was expecting! :rolleyes::D Typical of Dublin, they got the good stuff last night. Bloody Dubs, keeping all the really cool stuff to yourselves as usual! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Its just opened up here in Maynooth. Pretty heavy but not like last night.

I spoke too soon, it's absolutely pelting it down outside now. Real monsoon stuff. No thunder or lightning to go along with it, though.

*edit* And, once again, it's eased off and all but stopped again. Something tells me this is going to be one of those long, weird nights! :D

• Advertisement

Just had our first big clap of thunder of the night. This could be a long night, methinks! :D

Rain has increased in intensity again, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

darkman2 wrote: »
    That is what is progged alright - it's just a case of waiting....patiently. It could spark in the Irish Sea which might be of little use to most of Leinster but East Ulster would have a fun night in that circumstance.

A particularly useful tool regarding the latest UKMO rain and cloud forecasts.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/invent/pwsviewer/

Shows nicely the reactivation of the front as it meanders northeastwards. How strong local convections will occur along this line is up for question. Anyone interested should keep a look out however. Could be interesting for some while others escape completely. (here for example)

And that's the fun all finished up again in Portlaoise, it seems. :( An intense cloudburst, one big clap of thunder and now it looks like it's all over. Damn you, weather, don't be such a bloody tease! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Absolutely pelting it down here in rosenallis. Heard that clap too aidan , even had my headphones on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It's kicking off to the west of Dublin on radar. I think the North midlands and Northwest may have a very interesting few hours!

People in west Dublin - if they look west may see flashes of lightning in the distance.

Also tentative echoe to the South of Dublin in Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Athboy (Meath-Westmeath Border) region just had two bright flashes and tumultuous cracks of thunder around 00:30. Amazing stuff as I haven't heard and seen Thunder and Lightning like that since being in America.

Im pretty certain I can hear the thunder to the west but im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

It's kicking off to the west of Dublin on radar. I think the North midlands and Northwest may have a very interesting few hours!

People in west Dublin - if they look west may see flashes of lightning in the distance.

Also tentative echoe to the South of Dublin in Wicklow.

Yeah, I thought I'd noticed a couple of faint flashes here in SW Dublin (window facing NW). Thought it was eye/brain tricks at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Just got a cloud burst here. Can hear alot of rumbling in the distance but cant see any flashes of lightning :(:mad:

I know I have been criticising Met Eireann but seriously developments now suggest that for the Midlands, North and Northwest and possibly the East later there may be few red faces again in the morning. If just one of the echos to the west of Dub was to hit the city - the water table from last night willl not cope very well. A few hours to go to see if a repeat is avoided.

Spot flooding already looks likely for the North midlands and Northwest as the storms develope.

Indeed, how they got last nights weather so terribly wrong is beyond me. Its as if they were afraid to issue a warning just like they are afraid to say the word "thunder storm" but instead they say thundery shower. The word thunder storm was mentioned though on the weather forecast tonight by Jean Byrne. Maybe they learned something from last night lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Thank god for the boards weather forecast service is all I can say :)

I certainly hope so because counties like Donegal, Sligo and Leitrim could get plastered in the early hours after a day of plastering. Think Jean Byrne is always a bit vague IMO.

Its as if they were afraid to issue a warning just like they are afraid to say the word "thunder storm" but instead they say thundery shower.

That's a very good point and something I've noticed myself for many years. I've also noticed for a long time that Evelyn Cusack never has any problem mentioning the word thunderstorm or, possibly her favourite phrase, "thunderstorm activity". In fact, she seems to almost revel in anticipated thundery weather and loves mentioning it in her forecasts. Perhaps she's one of those people that loves a good thunderstorm and can't wait for one to erupt! :D

The other forecasters do indeed tend to be much more reserved about forecasting thundery activity, though, and usually tend to stick to the stock phrase of "thundery shower", as you say GreenGiant. Perhaps, unlike Evelyn, they're all scared of thunder and lightning and don't want to tempt fate by forecasting it! :D

I certainly hope so because counties like Donegal, Sligo and Leitrim could get plastered in the early hours after a day of plastering. Think Jean Byrne is always a bit vague IMO.

This front really is an unpredictable feature alright. As you say, northwestern counties as well as the midland most at risk over the next couple of hours.

Here is the latest Hirlam 3 hr rainfall total forecast for the period between 3am and 6am just to get a sense of where this model thinks the highest risk areas are for the wee small hours:

verportal.map?LAYERS=background%2Ch20.Nedbor_3t%2Ccoastlines&FORMAT=image%2Fpng&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_xml&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&SRS=EPSG%3A41000&TIME=2009-07-03T02%3A00&BBOX=-1249.953058%2C6255.700439%2C0.989192%2C7506.642689&WIDTH=512&HEIGHT=512

All to play for really. Despite no lightning here, there is occasional flickering of lights, so lightning still happening somewhere. :)

• Advertisement

Looking good for Dundalk in that chart Deep Easterly :D

That's a very good point and something I've noticed myself for many years. I've also noticed for a long time that Evelyn Cusack never has any problem mentioning the word thunderstorm or, possibly her favourite phrase, "thunderstorm activity". In fact, she seems to almost revel in anticipated thundery weather and loves mentioning it in her forecasts. Perhaps she's one of those people that loves a good thunderstorm and can't wait for one to erupt! :D

The other forecasters do indeed tend to be much more reserved about forecasting thundery activity, though, and usually tend to stick to the stock phrase of "thundery shower", as you say GreenGiant. Perhaps, unlike Evelyn, they're all scared of thunder and lightning and don't want to tempt fate by forecasting it! :D

Indeed, its so frustrating though. thats why I enjoy Evelyn's forecast the most. Haha they really must hate the thought of a good auld fashioned thunder storm and just generalize it. South east of Britain is getting a pounding tonight. Wish I was there :(

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Looking good for Dundalk in that chart Deep Easterly :D

Whether it verifies anything like that though is another kettle of raw fish altogether...:)

Lights flickering now again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

http://www.irlweather.com/wxStormVue.php

Loads of strike registers in Connaught at the moment!

http://www.irlweather.com/wxStormVue.php

Loads of strike registers in Connaught at the moment!

There is actually lightning flickering here at the moment, not very strong but quite frequent. I presume that they are coming from those storms in the midlands at the moment. Either way, one flash was strong enough to dim the lights for a couple of seconds.

Current lightning activity:
    http://www.meteox.nl/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

A small but intense cluster in the midlands at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

I'm here in roscommon and can see loads of flashes in the distance.. But no thunder yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Just looked at the lightning radar, jaysus the West is lit up!

Looks like it's spreading slowly towards Dublin :D

http://www.laoisweather.com/lightning/

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

HOLY ****!
    FLASH BANG! As quick as you can say it!
    About 10 mins ago, woke the house up. Lit up the garden like daylight!

In athlone area, Glasson to be precise (10Km north of Athlone)

Still rumbling, but not as close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

HOLY ****!
    FLASH BANG! As quick as you can say it!
    About 10 mins ago, woke the house up. Lit up the garden like daylight!

In athlone area, Glasson to be precise (10Km north of Athlone)

Still rumbling, but not as close.

I'm so jealous :(

Advertisement