Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White smoke coming from my car

• 02-07-2009 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey bought a new car (03 bmw 320d) 2 weeks ago and every time i start it there is a lot of white smoke, i dont want to take it back to the garage until i know what it might be because my local garages always fob u off expecially when ur a girl.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Could be a problem with the Turbo - it's a known issue on that model, drive one myself.

Where is the smoke coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Inishowen Girl

The Exhaust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Girl + Car = ..... Ok. not being sexist here, but if you don't know much about cars get advise from people who do. I would suggest your brother, father or Boyfriend help you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

White smoke usually means head gasket. Bring it straight back to the garage and tell them to sort it. And if your not happy with what they say bring it elsewhere and get a report done on it and then go back to the original garage armed with the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

The only way you will find out what is wrong is to bring it to a garage. It mite be injectors, cause by fuel dripping from them into the cylinders when you stop it, and when you start it the smoke you see is that fuel burning off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The pope is driving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Did you not get a warranty when you bought it from the garage? Bum it back to them, if they are fairly reputable they will give you another car while it is being fixed aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Dean09 wrote: »
    White smoke usually means head gasket. Bring it straight back to the garage and tell them to sort it. And if your not happy with what they say bring it elsewhere and get a report done on it and then go back to the original garage armed with the report.
    +1
    white smoke is usually head gasket failure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

snowman707 wrote: »
    +1
    white smoke is usually head gasket failure

+2 on that one...usually coolant burning through
    but there are a few other possible causes...
    get it checked ASAP by aqualified mechanic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Girl + Car = ..... Ok. not being sexist here, but if you don't know much about cars get advise from people who do. I would suggest your brother, father or Boyfriend help you out.
    She's looking for advice on what's wrong with the car, not on which gender is better qualified to help her out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭biomech

robtri wrote: »
    +2 on that one...usually coolant burning through
    but there are a few other possible causes...
    get it checked ASAP by aqualified mechanic
    -3 when you 'burn' water or coolant you get steam not smoke..... if water or coolant leaks into a cyl it will under no condition compress it.... have had this issue for years with my yoke and its caused by crap injectors...def get it checked tho... im putting up with it cause its not worth fixin.

A little bit of oil leaking down the valve guides can also cause white smoke on start-up, air-cooled Porsche 911 engines tend to do this if they've been left sitting for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

white smoke only if there are cardinals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Is it smoke or steam coming out? Smoke stays in air as it blows away steam disappears quick enuf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

I thought that white smoke coming from the exhaust is normal when engine is cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Just resurrecting this to hear peoples' fresh views.

I have an old '97 Mazda banger that's started blowing billowy, petrol-smelling white smoke on start up, usually when car has been idle for some time or left overnight. It's gone after about 30 seconds and car drives normally with no issues.

I googled possible causes and learned that it's almost certainly linked to the coolant, and now I am noticing the coolant level in the reservoir is diminishing fairly quickly alright.

Is this a problem that is worth fixing and is this, as I fear, a serious illness for the car? And will the car be alright if I top up with coolant to get me to a garage and get it looked at properly if so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭watsdstory22

+ 3 head gasket!!

Just resurrecting this to hear peoples' fresh views.

I have an old '97 Mazda banger that's started blowing billowy, petrol-smelling white smoke on start up, usually when car has been idle for some time or left overnight. It's gone after about 30 seconds and car drives normally with no issues.

I googled possible causes and learned that it's almost certainly linked to the coolant, and now I am noticing the coolant level in the reservoir is diminishing fairly quickly alright.

Is this a problem that is worth fixing and is this, as I fear, a serious illness for the car? And will the car be alright if I top up with coolant to get me to a garage and get it looked at properly if so?
    Please read the charter and don't resurrect old threads. Start a new one instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement