Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bid to draw families to North Kerry

Options
  • 02-07-2009 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,053 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I give up, what "fun attractions" are there in Listowel and Tarbert for kids?:confused:

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/bid-to-draw-families-to-north-kerry-1800933.html

NORTH Kerry is to be marketed for its potential as a destination for families as part of a new guide from Fáilte Ireland, launched in Ballybunion this week.
    The Cool for Kids - Fun for Families guide is part of a new initiative for the tourist marketing of Tralee, Ballybunion, Ballyheigue, Tarbert and Listowel, with each of these areas highlighted as a family-friendly destination, full of fun attractions for adults and children.
    A collaborative project between Fáilte Ireland and local tourist interests, it's all part of a long-term vision to market the wider south west region as a family holiday destination, according to the agency.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,053 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As I suspected, there is feck all in either Listowel or Tarbert for kids, and probably nothing much for adults either, unless you're an alcoholic.:eek:

Someone told me a few years ago that there was actually some kind of committee trying to get a swimming pool built in Listowel. They also apparently raised about £10K (yes, Punts) to kick-start this venture, but no pool was ever built, which begs the question.......................................No, I can't bring myself to ask it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The only thing I can think of in Tarbert is the restored jail that is on the road down to the ferry. It was restored, and has the tale of someone who was arrested told in it, along with items from the era and restored bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I spent 2 years travelling to Listowel to visit a g/friend and I can safely say there is absolutely feck all to do or see in the area...:(

I spent 2 years travelling to Listowel to visit a g/friend and I can safely say there is absolutely feck all to do or see in the area...:(

Good job you had a girlfriend to take your mind off the abject mind-numbing boredom.:pac:

People don't go to Listowel, they only try to drive through it, with the added pleasure of getting stuck in a mysterious traffic-jam for two hours.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭listowel1

Anytime i see a comment written by you, you are criticising Listowel. What do you expect in the the town. If you have something against the town,dont visit,simple!!:mad:

• Advertisement

listowel1 wrote: »
    Anytime i see a comment written by you, you are criticising Listowel. What do you expect in the the town. If you have something against the town,dont visit,simple!!:mad:

I'm telling it like it is. Perhaps you can tell us all what's on offer that will draw people to the town, and then we can start from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i was only ever in listowel once, had lunch and then left as there was nothing to do

looks like a nice town though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭rupamede

Listowel1
    Like you said to me about my post regarding the appalling experience I had at O'Connor's Opticians in Listowel, I think you should grow up. Ireland is a free country with freedom of speech and whatever we are saying about Listowel is not meant to offend but to IMPROVE how things are done there. Now if you cannot see right from wrong then you should grow up yourself!
    listowel1 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭rupamede

Agreed! VERY GOOD
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm telling it like it is. Perhaps you can tell us all what's on offer that will draw people to the town, and then we can start from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

The problem is what to do with the wife and children on those days when the water in Ballybunion would freeze the balls off a brass monkey and the sun is hiding behind clouds a couple of thousand metres thick. I will avoid mentiong r**ny days. The men can bask in the rays coming off the foam on their pints of Guinness. For the family the whole area is an inhospitable wasteland when compared to countries to the south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JulesInKy

Sports complex with gym, tennis courts, pitch'n'putt, the River walk with the beautiful Garden of Europe, Listowel Golf Club, Badminton, Angling, GAA, St. John's, Cinema, the Lartigue Monorail, Listowel Castle, Seanchaí, Teampaillin Ban, Writers Week, Harvest Festival & Racing, a walk around the town and really look at it - Pat McAuliffes sculptures, the statues, the hand painted signage on shopfronts, Radio Museum (don't know if this is still operating), children's playground, the food fair, the Friday farmer's market, not to mention the various clubs that meet regularly.

I'm sure this list could be added to as this is just off the top of my head.

As for "People don't go to Listowel, they only try to drive through it", have you ever thought that the cute, perceptive people of Listowel town are merely reacting to your own attitude. We're a feisty bunch and give as good as we get.

There can't be much wrong with the town to have inspired the writings of John B, McMahon etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭listowel1

If you ever visit local Gaa pitch on sat mornin you would observe over 100 kids playin and enjoyin themselves.Community Games compete in every event,Pitch and putt club for families, new playground,riverwalks,choirs,basketball,tennis club.

If you really want to take part in a group you will find it,dont be just complaining!!
    I grew up(still am)in listowel and would never swap anywhere to home!

JulesInKy wrote: »
    Sports complex with gym, tennis courts, pitch'n'putt, the River walk with the beautiful Garden of Europe, Listowel Golf Club, Badminton, Angling, GAA, St. John's, Cinema, the Lartigue Monorail, Listowel Castle, Seanchaí, Teampaillin Ban, Writers Week, Harvest Festival & Racing, a walk around the town and really look at it - Pat McAuliffes sculptures, the statues, the hand painted signage on shopfronts, Radio Museum (don't know if this is still operating), children's playground, the food fair, the Friday farmer's market, not to mention the various clubs that meet regularly.

I'm sure this list could be added to as this is just off the top of my head.

As for "People don't go to Listowel, they only try to drive through it", have you ever thought that the cute, perceptive people of Listowel town are merely reacting to your own attitude. We're a feisty bunch and give as good as we get.

There can't be much wrong with the town to have inspired the writings of John B, McMahon etc.

We're getting somewhere now. At least someone is trying to promote what Listowel's got instead of telling me to "don't visit, simple!".

The general consensus from comments here, and what I've heard from other people, is that there's nothing to do in Listowel. The town should actually go out of its way to promote what it has got, and try to add more to its repertoire.

Proper promotion can only help get people into the town, so that visitors can support the town's businesses. There are too many "To Let" signs in the town as it is.

As far as my attitude is concerned, and admittedly I'm a serial cynic at the best of times, I'm just trying to wake people up to the possibilities of improving the town's appeal to visitors.

I wldnt be rushing to Ballybunion either, it's full of either scumbags in sports gear and/or Travellers from Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

I wldnt be rushing to Ballybunion either, it's full of either scumbags in sports gear and/or Travellers from Limerick.

Partyguinness you have a serious gripe with North Kerry. That Listowel girl must have seriously burnt you!! :pac::pac::pac:

You're obviously not a beach, beautiful scenery or golf lover. Because if you were you would rush to Ballybunion irrespective of the small minority of day trippers and/or locals who wear sportsgear and therefore fall into your social stigma status of "scumbags".

Partyguinness you have a serious gripe with North Kerry. That Listowel girl must have seriously burnt you!! :pac::pac::pac:

You're obviously not a beach, beautiful scenery or golf lover. Because if you were you would rush to Ballybunion irrespective of the small minority of day trippers and/or locals who wear sportsgear and therefore fall into your social stigma status of "scumbags".

Not at all. She was a lovely girl and left on very good terms...:D

I have no gripe/issues with North Kerry, I am just describing it as I saw it. It's nothing personal.

Indeed I do like the beach, scenery and golf, that's why I am holidaying in Dingle next month.:)

(Admittedly I will have to take out a small mortgage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

Not at all. She was a lovely girl and left on very good terms...:D

I have no gripe/issues with North Kerry, I am just describing it as I saw it. It's nothing personal.

Indeed I do like the beach, scenery and golf, that's why I am holidaying in Dingle next month.:)

(Admittedly I will have to take out a small mortgage)

Ha :pac:, great come back!! Enjoy Dingle it's a class spot. Hopefully ye'll get the weather for it.

Advertisement