Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Famous soccer players you have met? [mod warning post #39]

• 02-07-2009 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I've no doubt this has been posted before.
    But I've not seen it in the last few months.

I've been to several Premiership games but I'll admit I've not exactly got autographs or chatted to many.

My experience:
    Mick McCarthy in Dublin Airport, a true gentleman.

Meet Mark Kennedy in Maine Road (now that's old!). 10 of us Irish in England on work experience. We asked a steward for him and he came out and chatted to us, took photographs and gave authographs, kudos to you sir!

Meet Packie Bonner in Dublin Airport.
    Asked for an autograph, wouldn't give me the time of day. :(

Who have you meet?

mod - sorry I have edited your thread title, just want to try something out that was suggested on the feedback thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

mat paul mcshane once.

oh wait you said famous..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I met Neil Lennon a couple of years back and god he was wasted at the time :D , myself and a mate got a photo with him and i asked who was better Henrik Larsson or Roy Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

mikemac wrote: »

I've been to several Premiership games but I'll admit I've not exactly got autographs or chatted to many.

My experience:

Meet Mark Kennedy in Maine Road (now that's old!). 10 of us Irish in England on work experience. We asked a steward for him and he came out and chatted to us, took photographs and gave authographs, kudos to you sir!

Who have you meet?

Have to say I find that strange see Packie a lot and he is always willing to chat and I am a Rangers fan

Tommy Burns true gent

Neil Lennon spoke to him at a function came over as a nice enough guy

Brian Laudrup another gent

Gazza nutcase

Ally McCoist great guy and a gent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Vanbis wrote: »
    I met Neil Lennon a couple of years back and god he was wasted at the time :D , myself and a mate got a photo with him and i asked who was better Henrik Larsson or Roy Keane.

and his answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

and his answer?

He asked 'Blur or Oasis?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Denis Irwin was sound, met him in Manchester Airport.Met Viv Anderson outside Old Trafford, nice guy.Bobby Charlton was nice, as was Roy Keane.Drogba completely blanked me outside Stamford Bridge.I was the only one there,asked for his autograph and I just walked straight past like I didn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

and his answer?

:rolleyes:, he said Henrik and i quote was a "legend" & "World Class". We then ask who would win in a fight himself or Keane but he wouldn't answer and just smiled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I used to work in the Point Depot as a barman, so would be in the back stage bar after gigs sometimes.

I met David James one night and sat chatting with him for a good while, back when he played for Liverpool. Nice guy, and intelligent too. I'm not the type to ask for autographs, especially not in the backstage bar when people are trying to relax and have a few beers. But this time it was the night before my brother's birthday, and he supports Liverpool, so during the conversation I just asked him to sign something, wishing my bro a happy Birthday. Turned out that it was his birthday the next day too, so he was happy to oblige.

Then, the night before the Posh n Bex wedding, Fatboy Slim was playing in the point, and a god few of the United lads were in the bar. I chatted with Phil Neville for a while, but when we were finished talking I called him Gary :o He was a nice fella too. Same night I briefly spoke with Ole Solskjaer, lovely fella, even though I was basically telling him I wanted to meet Roy Keane and he was a bit of a disappointment :) And that same night again, I had a slash beside Ryan Giggs. Classy.

Of course, being a LoI fan, we can get closer to the players. Being in the bar in Tolka Park after winning leagues are nights I'll never forget.

My favourite story though involves Liam Kearney, the Cork City player who was with Shels for half a season. The season after that he went back to Cork, the year we were demoted it was. We got Cork in the first round of the Cup and I spent the whole second half abusing the guy from the sideline. They beat us, and went on to the final, I went to the final with a few Cork friends, and ended up drinking with the City player. Kearney remembered the Shels game, and remembered the guy abusing him. I told him it was me and we had a good laugh about it. Top lad.

03122007068.jpg

Then, later that night, we ended up in Coppers and Kevin Doyle, Shane Long and Stephen Hunt arrived in, both drunk and up for a laugh. Nice guys too.

03122007069.jpg

03122007071.jpg

03122007070.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Is that you in the photo Des?

Yeah, it is.

I'm the guy with the curly hair in the middle photo :)

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    Yeah, it is.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

haven't met/talked to many PL players.

met merson in london very nice guy and used to bump into Robbie Keane a fair bit

The only players i would bothered sitting down and having a yap with is Roy, Kevin Moran or paul mc grath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yeah, it is.

the state of you in the doyle pic :D

I met man utd fan mr miyagi

does that count ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

mikemac wrote: »

My experience:

Who have you meet?
    met mick and jack in dublin airport years ago and asked them for autographs
    even though mccarthy had two arms full of bags he still stopped for me
    was 9 or 10 at the time. always remmeber that

remember glen crowe having the fear of god in his eyes when i went to shake his hand in a pub shortly after he has his first cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i worked security in the point depot and met brian kerr at ....queen at the ballet i think it was (yeah i know....queen at the ballet) through a bit of a hissy fit when i told him he couldnt bring his drink in.....pompus little so and so!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Kenny Cunningham on a plane didn't really want to grief so just said a quick hello at the end seemed a decent guy.
    met houllier aswell - incredibly nice man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

iregk wrote: »
    Ok, the wife's brother used to play in the prem so I've been to a shed load of games and in the lounge after so I've met a load of prem players.
    So, who's the wife's bro:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I chatted with Phil Neville for a while, but when we were finished talking I called him Gary :o He was a nice fella too. Same night I briefly spoke with Ole Solskjaer, lovely fella, even though I was basically telling him I wanted to meet Roy Keane and he was a bit of a disappointment :) And that same night again, I had a slash beside Ryan Giggs. Classy.

I hate you ;) If I could take a piss beside Ryan Giggs I would be so happy :D

Anyway, got Bobo Balde's autograph outside Celtic Park one day. We were there waiting for the players to come back from training and said let's go into the superstore to kill some time and we missed them! Bobo however stayed outside and signed an autograph or took a pic with everyone there. Totally sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ya shane is suppose to be a pretty sound bloke

ireland team will be coming to tipp town soon so i might get to meet him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Have to say I find that strange see Packie a lot and he is always willing to chat and I am a Rangers fan

im not joking here, but youre the first person ive ever seen saying something positive about packie bonner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Pavel Nedved - one of my all time greatest heroes. Was dead sound despite speaking very very little English. Got autograph and photos.
    Petr Cech and Milan Baros were both grand too but I was much more interested in Pavel.

Roy Keane - Really friendly, no problem giving an autograph and getting Graham Kavangh to give me one too!

Packie Bonner - walked up to him in Terryland once. He was a bit dismissive but gave me an autograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Lets have a guessing competiton....
    Hardly Zenden?:confused:
    Its a toughie.
    Hint hint hint:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Ive met matt holland and phil neville both at the same united match, v city at the end of this year, spoke to matt he is a really nice guy, took his son to the match, just shook phils hand but he seems nice too had great time for the united fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I notice Doyle has a little twinkle in his eye as he gazes into Des'. The goatee won him over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Met Pat Nevin. Tony Cottee. Peter Reid , Neville Southall. In 88 very nice people.

Ray Atteveld wasnt.
    Joe Royle, Daniel Amokachi. Graham Stuart etc in 95 were great .

Kevin Campell, kevin Kilbane and James Mcfadden etc very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Met Kenny Dalglish when I was a kid. He was Blackburn manager at the time and I was a Liverpool fan. I was chuffed but my uncle said that I didnt like him anymore because he left Liverpool. I went scarlet, he had a chuckle and signed my match programme.

Met Shearer and he came across as a nice guy as did Peter Beardsley. Warren Barton didnt want anything to do with the public though

Jaysus, how could I forget John Aldridge? Only time I went over to Liverpool we went to his pub, sound chap and posed for a pic and signed a couple of programmes.

And I was sickened because another group from my area had set up a kind of supporters club, and had agreed to go to the same game we were (Leeds, '03). They got into the ground about 10 mins before us, and had a pic and autograph with Milan Baros by the Annie Road end. I was truely sickened. Looking back on it now, what a talent he turned out to be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

met baros myself actually seemed a decent guy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

met milan baros (nice guy), John Otsemobor(nice guy), heskey (a**hole) outside melwood

michael owen seemed nice, have been on the same flight as denis irwin, kevin moran and john toshack (sitting the row behind on a flight back from manchester to dublin).

never forget the guy at the check in desk checking passports just looking at photos and not paying attention, toshack hands him his passport, the guy pays no attention until he looks at the name and then looks at toshack in awe lol

Anyone have a particular player the would like to meet?

For me, it'd have to be Carra, or maybe Xabi Alonso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

03122007071.jpg

I love this one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Helix wrote: »
    im not joking here, but youre the first person ive ever seen saying something positive about packie bonner

Gota defend packie i work in the mount errigal hotel in letterkenny and he be's in there a lot for fundraisers etc and have to say he seems a nice guy, though i havent personally talked to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Anyone have a particular player the would like to meet?

For me, it'd have to be Carra, or maybe Xabi Alonso.

Darren Fletcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

Most people I've met have been sound blokes.

Met Dennis Bergkamp in a Centre-Parcs in Holland over Easter, a top top bloke :D

JJ O'Toole count? He was sound. Jermaine Defoe in London too, another sound bloke.

I've met a few more but at this moment I can't remember for the life of me.

• Advertisement

Good thread have met a few over the years.

Went to Manchester back in 1996 for a few days with a man utd supporting mate. We went to the training ground one morning (are you still allowed do that?) you could actually see the players training in the distance they were not that far away, anyway after the session as the players were driving out they stopped for photos and autographs so was lucky to meet the following..

Eric Cantona- very quiet but had that superstar feel to him, he waited to sign autographs and pose for photos.
    Lee Sharpe- came across very well.
    Brian McClair -very nice.
    Beckham-probably the nicest of the lot, stayed for ages.
    Andy Cole-Quiet but signed autographs.

Also in Manchester on same trip met David May in Kendals- signed autograph, seemed a nice bloke.

Went to Ian Wrights book signing back in the summer of 1996 in Brent Cross-he was a big hero of mine at the time- a top bloke.

Arsenals Alan Smith-met him at Arsenal pre season friendly against Barnet, he was covering the match for the Daily Telegrapgh- a true gent--spent some time talking about transfers and who we should buy.

Dennis Bergkamp-met him and his wife in a restaurant in Harrods went up as he was leaving and shook his hand thanking him for the great football :) a really nice bloke and his wife is nice also. Actually saw Bergkamp several times over the years in the same restaurant with his wife and with all his family 40 minutes after we won the FA Cup final in the Hilton Cardiff but left him alone.

Also in the Hilton Cardiff met Alan Smith again, he was with Paul Walsh and Sir Bobby Robson, all really nice, had my photos taken with them on a digital camera, stupidly never got them developed, the camera which I had in my laptop bag got stolen some months later :mad: Met Paul Walsh the next night again at Dinner, remembered me from the night before and wished Arsenal luck in the semi-top bloke.

Not a footballer but met Richard Keys at breakfast, also in the Hilton Cardiff-was at the buffet dishing up some haggis for myself and he asked me what in the name of God was I dishing up, when I told him what was in it, he just shook his head as if I was mad.

Again at the Hilton, met Niall Quinn in the lift after breakfast, he had his copy of the racing post as did I, so we got chatting about the 2,000 Guineas which was on that day, again a really nice bloke.

Damian Duff on British Midland flight back to Dublin after Arsenal had played Chelsea on the Sunday 16:00 match, Ireland were playing some days later, was sitting in front of him still wearing my Arsenal shirt, gave him a smile he just gave a nod back, was too tired to get an autograph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Roy Keane was sound and very quiet. Jason McAteer and Phil Babb a little while after their debuts were both very friendly. Niall Quinn seemed like a lovely guy - he was my hero then, around the time of Italia '90! Paul McGrath seemed shy in the big crowd where I met him.

But from personal experience and every single story I hear about the guy, John O'Shea is one of he nicest guys you could meet. He was sound when he knocked me out with a football when I was 13 or 14, then just as sound three or four years later when he'd made it big at United, and hasn't changed since either. Hear nothing but good things about him too. True gent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Some of the posts I have just deleted were special, really really special...:rolleyes:

If you cannot contribute to this discussion without hurling abuse at the players or sportsmen involved don't bother posting. The same applies to any attempt to drag this thread off-topic and on to a United Liverpool argument.

One footballer I met who was an absolute gentleman was former Spurs winger Paul Allen who we bumped into in a swanky hotel in Israel a few years ago, couldn't make more of an effort to talk to us, gave us loads of his time to chat, and even got a round in!

Also Mickey Hazard is a total gentleman, met him towards the end of the season just finished at a book signing, works as a black cab driver now, had a really nice chat with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

Some of the posts I have just deleted were special, really really special...:rolleyes:

If you cannot contribute to this discussion without hurling abuse at the players or sportsmen involved don't bother posting. The same applies to any attempt to drag this thread off-topic and on to a United Liverpool argument.

One footballer I met who was an absolute gentleman was former Spurs winger Paul Allen who we bumped into in a swanky hotel in Israel a few years ago, couldn't make more of an effort to talk to us, gave us loads of his time to chat, and even got a round in!

Also Mickey Hazard is a total gentleman, met him towards the end of the season just finished at a book signing, works as a black cab driver now, had a really nice chat with him.

The thread states famous footballers:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Roy Keane was sound and very quiet. Jason McAteer and Phil Babb a little while after their debuts were both very friendly. Niall Quinn seemed like a lovely guy - he was my hero then, around the time of Italia '90! Paul McGrath seemed shy in the big crowd where I met him.

But from personal experience and every single story I hear about the guy, John O'Shea is one of he nicest guys you could meet. He was sound when he knocked me out with a football when I was 13 or 14, then just as sound three or four years later when he'd made it big at United, and hasn't changed since either. Hear nothing but good things about him too. True gent.

John O'Shea is as sound as they they come and I know it for a fact. He's been really good to Man Utd fans from Waterford over the years, even so much as driving to hotels just hours before games to drop off extra tickets.

I met him when he came to Dungarvan and brought Rio Ferdinand along with him for the craic (That was the time when Rio had just got his lengthy suspension so the "are you here for the craic" joke was on the go all night) They came over for the 10th anniversary of the supporters club. Denis Laws daughter came aswell, fine bit a stuff I must say.
    Rio and John soon after got a few of the supporters from the club in to the United xmas party a few weeks later, wish I was there :(

John always tries to meet up with travelling fans after games if he can, few of my friends have met up with him back at their hotel after games, he goes out of his way to spend time with fans.

Was delighted once when a die hard Pool fan I used to work with came into work one day giving out like crazy about John. His friend had met John in Ruby's in Waterford and told him to wind up the pool fan. He was only recently after scoring the goal in the dying minutes against Liverpool and he asked yer man what he thought of his goal and started laughing at him. The fool got wound up and went for him with a punch, got kicked out straight away. Good man Jos!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Paparazzo wrote: »

Hahaha, incidentally I'm not too taken on him either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

met the famous Liam O'Brien in Spain when he was playing for United all them years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I sold Rio Ferdinand a bucket load of clothes in a well known clothes shop in town, donkeys years ago.

Couldn't have met a nicer lad, was just after he was snapped up by Ferguson, even invited a few of us out for drinks afterwards, do you think the bouncer let me in to Lillies?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Met Niall Quinn years ago when he was still playing for Man City. Was 14/15 on a trip with the scouts and after the match he came onto our bus and signed autographs and took photos with everybody. Must be a fairly decent guy to spend a half an hour talking to a coach load of kids.

Met Morientes outside Anfield. He was in his car driving into Anfield before a Champions league game. Was happy to sign and chat to a rake of people as he sat in traffic. Then Gerrard's car pulled in(he was injured that night) and a swarm gattered around him. He signed autographs for a few kids and made a dash into Anfield.

Also met Jack Charlton, John Aldridge and Ronnie Whelan at a function. All happy to get into photo's, sign autographs and chat to people. Jack Charlton is very engaging. When he talks people tend to listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I met Paul McGrath on Grafton St a few years back, complete p1ssed. I didn't hang around.

Met Craig Johnson in a puib in Blackrock back when he was living here, maybe 15 years ago? I ordered a pint of Guinness for him, dropped it over and told he'd been my favourite player. He just said "Top banana...", and lifted the glass to me. A good investment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

I had lunch with most of the Everton squad in 96, Joe Royle and Duncan Ferguson were true gents. All the lads happy to sign autographs. Neville Southall was a grump though,

Met Paul McGrath when i did a job interview in a well know venue on Dame St. Decent guy, very pleasant

I've been an assistant to a Niall Quinn interview, just before Roy Keane got the Sunderland job Quinn gave ShelsWeb the exclusive news after Sunderland were in Tolka Park for a friendly. Seems like a nice enough bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Jack Charlton did an after dinner speech for us at an event in Manchester - top man and a great laugh

Seen John Alridge and a few other Liverpool 'legends' in Galway after they gatecrashed a wedding in the hotel they were staying in..

As for who i would like to meet - Carragher and Scholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of muck-raking. I guess footballers are a far nicer bunch than we give them credit for. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

At a training match for feyenoord two seasons ago against VV Katwijk met. Pierre Van Hooijdonk seemed dead on , Ron Vlaar young dutch starlet, THeo Lucius dint really speak english , Dirk Kuyt what an ignorant pillock just before he left Feyenoord and also met Erwin Koemen , Royston Drenthe and Johnny Metgod.

Then that season at Old Trafford met Bryan Robson going to do an interview for sky and he signed my program legend.

Then this season at Old Trafford met John O'Shea, PArk Ji Sung , Van Der Sar and Nemanja Vidic. Got an autograph for all of them. Even got a smile and a wink when i shouted at VDS saying he was best dutch keeper of all time. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement