Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Famous soccer players you have met? [mod warning post #39]

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

glenjamin wrote: »
    I MET WESLEY CHARLES WALKING DOWN BRAY SEAFRONT BEFORE!!! OBVIOUSLY I WIN NOW. HOOR-AH!!
    Wes is a legend.

wesleycharles2.jpg?t=1247020349

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

A friend of mine accidentally pissed on teddy sheringham's foot in faces night club a few years back and said...."oh jeasus i just pi ssed on teddy sheringham's foot wait till il tell the lads"..what a dope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I have the same name as one of his former players and the aul lad said to him "[my name] is behind ya there, you might give him an autograph" to which he replied "Aye, he is f**k".. before realising it was a kid.

Thats a good story, I bet your dad was happy he named you William Prunier just for that joke alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

I literally ran into Ron Atkinson in Jury's Ballsbridge years ago when I was working there - and yes I flew back several feet.

Served Paul McGrath a few pints in the Halfway House in Ashtown when I was a wee lounge boy. 17 Years ago.

Was at school with Mark Kennedy and played matches quite a bit with him and from previous posts he seems to be friendlier now. He just to come back from Liverpool and drive around his estate several times before getting out of his car so as many people could see him as possible :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Des wrote: »
    He's back on the sauce then?

hes had a bit of a setback, not helped by a couple of deaths that hit him pretty hard in the last few months i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

I met all the Brazilian soccer team after the Confederations Cup in Germany 2005!! As I was working with adidas I got VIP seats (with the Argie players familys) and Beckenbauer and Bierhoff were sitting behind me!! After the game we went to the continental hotel in frankfurt where Brazil were staying and at the bar all night a few of them (Robinho, Baptista, Renato and 1 or 2 others) were trying 2 of my workmates all night! They even gave them jerseys!

Just to rub it in I also met a few other soccer players as I worked in Adidas HQ in Bavaria for 6 months! The German national team use to train in the on-site mini stadium! Thorston Frigs gave me a football from a training session too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Housemate met some Newcastle players in Coppers last night. Alan Smythe, Nicky Butt and a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Housemate met some Newcastle players in Coppers last night. Alan Smythe, Nicky Butt and a few others.

LOL I take ut you mean Alan Smith :D

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I've got autographs photos etc. off quite a few footballers but the ones that really stand out in any fans memory are the players that go the extra mile for you and the players who act like complete assholes and disappoint you.
    In my book the top blokes are: Eric Cantona, John O'Shea, Brian McClair, Paul McGrath,
    Niall Quinn, Robbie Keane, Richard Dunne.

The assholes are: I don't want to name & Shame but a clue would be an ex Celtic goalkeeper and an ex-United goalkeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

I was lucky enough to meet Steve McManaman, Paul Ince and Robbie Fowler a few years back and I have to saw Steve and Paul really did have a lot of time for me as I was a young fan. Robbie Fowler on the other hand - I lost a lot of respect for him as a person after meeting him.

David James was cool too! I actually asked for his autograph in the jacks!! His reply - "your in a funny place to be asking for an autograph mate". I was young!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I went to school with Kevin Moran. Played GAA with him too.
    He was outstanding on the team, I was not so quite outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Whole Newcastle team yesterday and Irish team a while back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

grahamo wrote: »
    I've got autographs photos etc. off quite a few footballers but the ones that really stand out in any fans memory are the players that go the extra mile for you and the players who act like complete assholes and disappoint you.
    In my book the top blokes are: Eric Cantona, John O'Shea, Brian McClair, Paul McGrath,
    Niall Quinn, Robbie Keane, Richard Dunne.

The assholes are: I don't want to name & Shame but a clue would be an ex Celtic goalkeeper and an ex-United goalkeeper.

Packie? He's getting a bad time of it on this thread.
    David James seems to be the complete opposite

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Packie? He's getting a bad time of it on this thread.
    David James seems to be the complete opposite

Don't understand this every time I meet the man he is a perfect gent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

fowler, mcmananman, redknapp. james, mcateer, bonner, gary kelly(leeds), harte, irwin, dalglish. alan kennedy, phil neal, phil thompson, john aldridge, cantona, finnan, big jack, mick mc carthy. best of all was ian rush met him in dublin airport had a chat with him for about half an hour... a legend and a gent.

and i have to say when i met bonner he was a complete gentleman.. maybe the way he was approached may have led to the way he replied. politeness does not cost anything. the times i have seen people just barge up to people demanding autographs an photos when the person is obviously busy/talking to someone else amazes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Met Mother Theresa once. Really. She was tiny.

Does that count?

Me and Roy Keane a few years ago when Man Utd were over here in the US. DSC00250.jpg
    Met most of the rest of the squad too, O'Shea, Ferdinand and Giggs were nice but van Nistelrooy was an asshole, refused to sign anything.

Also, Tim Howard when he was with the Metrostars, sound lad, and Jozy Altidore who scored recently for the US in the confed cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Met Alan Hansen, Barnes and Aldo back when i worked in an ad agency, we handled the advertising for some book signings they were doing so got to have lunch with them. Barnes was my hero but have to say while he was a complete gent it was the worst of the lunches. He wasn't really interested in talking about football and just wanted to know what the plan for advertising the signing was which obv was just about on my agenda! Aldo and Hansen were happy just yapping about footie though.

Hansen didn't rate Houllier at all btw. Said he was shocking in the transfer market.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

villager wrote: »
    fowler, mcmananman, redknapp. james, mcateer, bonner, gary kelly(leeds), harte, irwin, dalglish. alan kennedy, phil neal, phil thompson, john aldridge, cantona, finnan, big jack, mick mc carthy. best of all was ian rush met him in dublin airport had a chat with him for about half an hour... a legend and a gent.

and i have to say when i met bonner he was a complete gentleman.. maybe the way he was approached may have led to the way he replied. politeness does not cost anything. the times i have seen people just barge up to people demanding autographs an photos when the person is obviously busy/talking to someone else amazes me.
    +1 on Ian rush! Met him in Liverpool on the morning of a Liverpool v United game and he happily chatted to us. Great Craic! And I'm a united fan!
    As for Bonner I totally understand he may have had a bad day but thats no excuse for disrespecting people. That may sound harsh but i've seen him since and didn't bother approaching him as I kinda knew the reception I'd get but I've seen him treat others as though they don't exist! For the lads saying he's a gent I'm sure he is but they probably met him at official functions etc.
    rather than on spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

My wife, then girlfriend met Zubizaretta (ex Barca and Spain goalkeeper for younger members on here) when we were both teaching in Spain.

She was trying to have a bit of a laugh with him asking if Barca had a need for a Spasic type defender (Spasic was a truly awful defender who played for Real Madrid back then).

He was very dry and boring responding you'll have to talk to the manager about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

greendom wrote: »
    She was trying to have a bit of a laugh with him asking if Barca had a need for a Spasic type defender (Spasic was a truly awful defender who played for Real Madrid back then).

He was lucky his career didn't take him to England. They would have had a field day. :)

grahamo wrote: »
    +1 on Ian rush! Met him in Liverpool on the morning of a Liverpool v United game and he happily chatted to us. Great Craic! And I'm a united fan!
    As for Bonner I totally understand he may have had a bad day but thats no excuse for disrespecting people. That may sound harsh but i've seen him since and didn't bother approaching him as I kinda knew the reception I'd get but I've seen him treat others as though they don't exist! For the lads saying he's a gent I'm sure he is but they probably met him at official functions etc.
    rather than on spec.

Nope I have never met him at a function :D Not get me at ant Tic gatherings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

My uncle met Eusebio. Said he was bang on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Was down in Vegas a couple of weeks ago and Shaun Maloney and some other players had a Cabana next to ours. Seemed sound enough, I didn't chat to him but after a couple of hours of drinking, it was messy enough stuff, very patchy memory but had great craic with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

When I was young I lived down the road from Mick Shannon (now famous for the horses, then playing for Southampton) met him regular with Kevin Keegan.
    A few years ago met a good few of the Celtic team at the time + the board + packie bonner, Tommy Burns etc (one of the best nights I ever had) the guest of honour was Alex Ferguson and believe it or not after a lot of slagging he signed a Celtic Jersey for me along with Brian Quinn the Chairman of Celtic at that time. They where all so sound to me and my wife. We even had breakfast the next morning with the lot of them !! :D

stovelid wrote: »
    He was lucky his career didn't take him to England. They would have had a field day. :)

... Spasic by name, Spasic by nature ?

• Advertisement

When I was young I lived down the road from Mick Shannon (now famous for the horses, then playing for Southampton) met him regular with Kevin Keegan.
    D

Weird, he had almost exactly the same career as another guy called Mick Channon:P

Advertisement