Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of Amenorrhoea :(

Options
  • 02-07-2009 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys

For the past 15-18 months my cycle has been *very* out of whack, I'm only getting a period every four months or so. I have been to the Dr about this a lot, had all the blood tests (hormones, anaemia, iron etc.!), ultrasounds (pcos - the works!) and everything but there is nothing medically wrong, hence my frustration. Am I the only one?? Has anyone any advice for what has worked for them? My Dr said sometimes these things just happen and it shuld work itself out and get back to normal in time, but it seems to be lasting a while! I'd be interested to hear if others have had a similar problem and for how long it has persisted.

I know I could just take the pill every month, but I don't really want to go down that road if i don't have to, and as I said there is no medical problem causing it, but still, I'd find it a lot more reassuring if my cycle was a bit more regular!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Are you making sure to eat lots of extra calcium?? That is the most important thing of all.

I had it for about 18 months after I took up running and lost a good bit of body fat. I ignored it for ages but then went for a bone scan and found that my bone density had diminished somewhat from the lack of oestrogen production (that might not be exactly why). That would have continued and put me at a much higher risk of osteoporosis - but I presume the Doctor has mentioned that to you anyway.

I took part in a medical trial at the time so had constant access to experts in the field - all of which agreed that sometimes this just happens, it is one of those things and there isn't much you can do.

If however, you are quite skinny, or are running, doing any sort of training quite a lot the only thing to do that might help reverse it is to stop. I did notice when taking part in the trials that most of us were either very fit or very slim. My periods only came back when I'd been out of the gym for 6 months or so and gained some of the body fat back - pain in the ass, but at least I am fertile again!!!

Oh also to add that I would seriously consider the pill, I was about to but then my periods returned so I didn't have to. It really would be better for your body and bone density in the long run - at least according to any of the doctors I spoke to! (About 8 of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks Monkey, my Dr has never mentioned the calcium thing but it makes sense, and as I try to avoid dairy I should definitely look into getting a Calcium supplement - can't do any harm!

I wouldn't call myself skinny, but I do exercise quite intensely 4 or even up to 5 times a week so it may be a contributory factor. i would be loathe to give it up though as I love it.

Thanks a mill for the advice :)

Advertisement