Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Lenihan on Vincent Browne tonight

Options
  • 02-07-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

As it says on the tin. I think Vincent will make Lenihan squirm. It is an hour long one on one interview with the finance minister, he is bound to slip up sometime.

Should be fun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Fair play to him for coming onto VB.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,483 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Watching it now.....great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Dob74 wrote: »
    Fair play to him for coming onto VB.

It's an interesting gamble. He's actually coming across as relatively reasonable, though it's hard to keep up. At least he's actually answering the questions directly, or at least that's the impression I'm getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Not at all, answering questions he wasn't asked. Dodged the bankers' pensions issue completely.

paddyland wrote: »
    Not at all, answering questions he wasn't asked. Dodged the bankers' pensions issue completely.

I started my post just before the banker's pension thing. :)

You're probably right, I don't really understand what's going on, as it's not a conversation and some of this stuff goes over my head. Still though, I've seen others being much more evasive. I imagine that he would see this as a chance to vindicate himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Browne is putting some serious heat on but Lenihan is just about holding him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Vincent is coming across as a complete tool. Linehan is well able for him - very surprised - my estimation of him is gone up (which wouldn't be too hard)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Aidric wrote: »
    Browne is putting some serious heat on but Lenihan is just about holding him off.

Vincent is great.....
    Lenihan does NOT look very happy in the studio......

dont think he will come back....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The only thing BL seems to be any good at is dodging questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Saw a few mins of it.....Lenihan refusing to ask any questions, as far as I can see "I'm not going to decide the budget tonight, Vincent" [yawn!]

If he has nothing to say and won't answer questions, why bother going on the show ?

• Advertisement

I keep wondering what happens when they are not on screen, if it is awkward :pac:. I did expect a better performance from VB tbh. I don't think he's phrasing his follow-on questions in the context of Lenihan's responses, if that makes any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Vincent wasted valuable time going on about his garda driver and 9 staff there are more important questions he could have asked him than that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I thought he came across very well. Wish he would answer a question with just "yes" or "no" though.

How much wiser are we after watching his interview tonight? Not alot i think.

I wouldint want to be Minister for finance that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eoghan77

Vincents got some real teeth, not letting him away with anything.
    BL is doing well tho, but sweat drips earlier in the show couldnt hide how uncomfortable he was...

Great interview!

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    If he has nothing to say and won't answer questions, why bother going on the show ?

He was expecting this to be a whole load of attacks on his character and past actions and would be there to defend himself.

He wasn't there to answer questions on how to fix the economy, evidently - not that many were asked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I wish tho that they'd have Brian Cowan on the show, he did more damage as Minister for Finance, or better yet Charlie McCreevy, the true instigator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Well done BL, good interview

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

i'm actually a fan of brian lenihan, but unfortunately couldn't see the interview, can someone sum it up here or at least tell me how did lenihan come across? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Well done BL, good interview
    classic irish tv

Mario007 wrote: »
    i'm actually a fan of brian lenihan, but unfortunately couldn't see the interview, can someone sum it up here or at least tell me how did lenihan come across? thanks

You can be sure to get a few answers on how BL came across. At least he didn't explode, he was uncomfortable but never in a proper corner. It was kind of disappointing in that respect.

Vincent was having a real go though, but it was all the usual stuff, like why is the taxpayer propping up the banks, why are you driven around in garda cars, etc, this is all your fault...

The answers were the usual rhetoric, saying we never expected this, the IMF supports what we're doing, and any question about what the government will actually do was either, I can't tell you yet or I don't know.

Every time VB tried to get BL to admit that the collapse of the economy was his fault, which BL refused to do, and then VB would go on as if he just had, so there was no real interaction. A lot of the sort of stuff I think ordinary people would like to say to the minister got aired, but I didn't see a proper interplay of personality. I would nearly prefer to see pat kenny do this interview.

Entertaining watching, but like themadchef said, I don't actually feel any wiser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Lots of "that would be an ecumenical matter" type answers:D

He came across very chirpy if you ask me, didn't look brow beaten, or sleep deprived with worry like half of the adult population of this country.

I liked him a little more after seeing this interview simply because he dodges exceptionally well.

You can be sure to get a few answers on how BL came across. At least he didn't explode, he was uncomfortable but never in a proper corner. It was kind of disappointing in that respect.

Vincent was having a real go though, but it was all the usual stuff, like why is the taxpayer propping up the banks, why are you driven around in garda cars, etc, this is all your fault...

The answers were the usual rhetoric, saying we never expected this, the IMF supports what we're doing, and any question about what the government will actually do was either, I can't tell you yet or I don't know.

Every time VB tried to get BL to admit that the collapse of the economy was his fault, which BL refused to do, and then VB would go on as if he just had, so there was no real interaction. A lot of the sort of stuff I think ordinary people would like to say to the minister got aired, but I didn't see a proper interplay of personality. I would nearly prefer to see pat kenny do this interview.

Entertaining watching, but like themadchef said, I don't actually feel any wiser.
    themadchef wrote: »
    Lots of "that would be an ecumenical matter" type answers:D

He came across very chirpy if you ask me, didn't look brow beaten, or sleep deprived with worry like half of the adult population of this country.

I liked him a little more after seeing this interview simply because he dodges exceptionally well.

thanks dudes for informing me:D so it was the typical political interview...but at least he didn't break down:D

thanks dudes for informing me:D so it was the typical political interview...but at least he didn't break down:D

I think that's what Vincent was trying to bring about, but Brian had his stab vest on. If it had two vincent brownes either side of him, it might have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

you just watched an historic moment in Irish politics-the next leader of ff and the rise of the most important politics show on Irish television.
    i though BL wiped the floor with Vincent-about time too

I think that's what Vincent was trying to bring about, but Brian had his stab vest on. If it had two vincent brownes either side of him, it might have worked.

ha would be funny to see a minister for finance breaking down live on tv:D but if lenihan didnt break down during the dail debate on the april budget he probably will never break down, a well done to him:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 freedomdefender

When will you all ever realize that it's not politicians but politics itself that is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Vincent Browne was very eager to press Brian on hs wages, I'd like to know what Vinnie himself is on! If Pat Kenny is on ~900,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I'm just in, missed it. Is it availble to watch online anywhere?

When will you all ever realize that it's not politicians but politics itself that is the problem?

interesting...off topic and not supported at all...but granted, if thats what you think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 freedomdefender

All attempts to control a human population end in disastrous side-effects because humans are not inanimate chess pieces on a chess board- they have a mind and will of their own and their primary need is freedom.

Advertisement