Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIGHTS IN KILDARE

Options
  • 02-07-2009 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen lights (approx 6-9) in the sky over Kildare-town region tonight, 2.7.2009, between 22.15pm and 22.40pm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Haven't heard anything yet but if you could report the details of the sighting at http://www.ufoi.org/report-an-incident.htm that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

OP were they Flashing? Strobeing? In Formation? Red? White? Nav Lights? If so they were probably the AW139's and EC135's doing night formation flying or troop transport duty as the IAC are now more or less 100% NVG trained so night flying is very very regular now out of Baldonnel especially when it comes to moveing/training troops for heli insertion/extraction at night.

OP were they Flashing? Strobeing? In Formation? Red? White? Nav Lights? If so they were probably the AW139's and EC135's doing night formation flying or troop transport duty as the IAC are now more or less 100% NVG trained so night flying is very very regular now out of Baldonnel especially when it comes to moveing/training troops for heli insertion/extraction at night.
    Thats what I was thinking myself as i have noticed a lot more activity at night over the past while, still nice to get peoples take on their sighting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

As they say in after hours ...

... Pics or GTFO :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

OP I'm not being smart here (well only a little bit;)) but there are always lights in the sky from stars and planets to space stations, airplanes, helicopters, meteor showers etc. etc. If you expect a reasonable response you need to give a bit more detail than your post! The same really goes for any thread created in this forum that is asking "has anybody has seen............"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

OP I'm not being smart here (well only a little bit;)) but there are always lights in the sky from stars and planets to space stations, airplanes, helicopters, meteor showers etc. etc. If you expect a reasonable response you need to give a bit more detail than your post! The same really goes for any thread created in this forum that is asking "has anybody has seen............"

Fair point!

Ok, a friend made me aware of the lights initially.

So at the abovementioned time, I looked out my front door in a north-westerly direction from Kildare town.

At that time there where two, steadily luminous, red lights in the sky!

I can’t really determine at what height they where flying, or how far away they where.

I would estimate a mile away and 3/4 mile up.

As I said I observed two, but my friend had seen 6-9 in total, including the two we where looking at the time!

The remained stationary for 5 or so minutes, and then took of at uniform speed, and equidistant apart until they disappeared from sight, at a good rate of speed!

Now, before I offer my opinions on what they where not, I will state that obviously this is just my opinion, and by no means consider myself an expert:

First of all, in my opinion, we I can completely rule out helicopters or a plane/jet.

Helicopters don’t generally stay in the same spot for so long as the downdraft becomes affected and can cause them to crash.

And winged aircraft cant stay in the same spot like that, unless there’s harrier jump jets over kildare.

Also, there was no noise.

I’ve lived on or around the curragh camp all my life, you can hear a chopper from a good two miles away!

And the fact that there were multiple objects doesn’t ring through either!

Btw, I got some camera phone footage, but it’s so grainy I wouldn’t bother uploading it!

(of all the times for the new camcorder to run out of batt)

So, Chinese lanterns people?

Or are they just the new buzz word in ufology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Unfortunately Chinese Lanterns are a hot topic :D at the moment and are responsible for a fair number of sightings, however if your estimation of speed is correct it would seem to rule them out in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I would be reluctant to say Chinese lanterns without more detail. As most people on this forum know I am a great advocate of attributing these common "sightings" to Chinese lanterns . How fast would you say they were travelling in relation to other skyward objects? Helicpoter Speed, Plane Speed, Orbiter Speed, Superman Speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Hi All,

I am the guy who reported it initially to the the OP. I was watching TV on my couch at around 10.30 and noticed an odd looking object in the sky. When I went outside to get a better view I noticed another following its flight path around 50 seconds later. Then I seen three more together around two minutes later. And then around 3-4 more on thier own. After seeing the 3 together I rang the OP as he lives about 2 minutes drive away to see if he could see them. My neighbour who is a Army ranger was very interested in them too and he had got a phone call from one of his mates asking about it. He ruled out flares etc
    From my view the objects had the same flight path...moved quicker than a plane or helicopter and they were glowing but very silent. As the OP said we are not sure what they were and thus was hoping if anyone else had a simular experience last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

im in monasterevin,nope,the only thing i noticed last night was the lightening which was more down towards kildare town.was your sightings around the same time as the bad rain? its strange alright,would be great if there was some sort of footage or if anyone else saw it too.

• Advertisement

karynp wrote: »
    im in monasterevin,nope,the only thing i noticed last night was the lightening which was more down towards kildare town

We had no lightening or rain at all.The sky was very clear. Sadly it was not going towards your direction or you might of seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eurotrade

<post snipped>

You need to contact the admins if you wish to advertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

...moved quicker than a plane or helicopter and they were glowing but very silent.

How quick is your average helicopter bearing in mind our Irish Air Corps AW139's can hit just under 167 kts and its normal cruise speed is 157 kts and has a ceiling* of 20,000ft, not bad for a helicopter.

*ceiling= the max height that particular aircraft can get to eg 20,000ft etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

at first read its sounds like a ufo sighting.. on the other hand you have to ask yourself has it anything got to do with the weather!? just to rule that out.
    as another post said, there was lighting in an area near by!?!?

jonbravo wrote: »
    you have to ask yourself has it anything got to do with the weather!? just to rule that out.

you see it could well be although 7 -9 glowing objects the sky would be hard to explain by weather. We just didn't know what it could be and still don't. There was no bad weather where I was and the skies were pretty clear bar the odd cloud
    How quick is your average helicopter bearing in mind our Irish Air Corps AW139's can hit just under 167 kts
    eh i know very little about Irish Aircraft speeds but as some do fly over my estate from time to time I was judging the speed against those aircraft...also those airdraft made noise and these things were silent and faster moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ken_Is_Here

Hay people.
    Been reading the boards for sometime but felt compelled to actually post while reading this.

I saw the lights as i was driving to dublin on the M7 just between Naas North and Nass south exits.

The first i saw of it was two lights straight ahead appear over the trees one slightly higher than the other. I figured it was a banking plane. Then another two appeared beside that appearing to bank in the opposite direction but as i continued on the lights hung there and the formation didn't change (which wouldn't be characteristic of banking planes) .

As the road turned to the right facing the big ball thing they were on my left and i could see that there were several more lights below the intital four in no obvious pattern. When the road joind the N7 and veered back to the left i'd lost sight of them. Didn't see them leave or vanish in front of my eyes.

I'm sorry i couldn't get a more detailed look at them or a photo as i was driving and it was distracting enough without attempting a camera phone manouver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Sounds like the stuff been spotted all over the world in last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Hay people.
    Been reading the boards for sometime but felt compelled to actually post while reading this.

I saw the lights as i was driving to dublin on the M7 just between Naas North and Nass south exits.

The first i saw of it was two lights straight ahead appear over the trees one slightly higher than the other. I figured it was a banking plane. Then another two appeared beside that appearing to bank in the opposite direction but as i continued on the lights hung there and the formation didn't change (which wouldn't be characteristic of banking planes) .

As the road turned to the right facing the big ball thing they were on my left and i could see that there were several more lights below the intital four in no obvious pattern. When the road joind the N7 and veered back to the left i'd lost sight of them. Didn't see them leave or vanish in front of my eyes.

I'm sorry i couldn't get a more detailed look at them or a photo as i was driving and it was distracting enough without attempting a camera phone manouver.

was this on the same date?

interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ken_Is_Here

leddpipe wrote: »
    was this on the same date?

interesting!

I thought it was but the replies seem to just jump a month.

I saw this on Saturday last heading to work at about 22:40 1rst of August '09. First post says 2nd of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭tara666

no but my sister saw them last month in enniskerry in wicklow

• Advertisement

These could have been from the Perseids meteor shower as it is active from the 14th July this year and was at its height between the 11th August till yesterday the 12th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Ziycon wrote: »
    These could have been from the Perseids meteor shower as it is active from the 14th July this year and was at its height between the 11th August till yesterday the 12th August.

Meteors don't hang around in the sky though. They generally only be seen for 2-3 seconds. The ones from the Perseids I've seen in the sky over the past couple of nights lasted no longer than that.

Advertisement