Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repossessions

Options
  • 02-07-2009 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,
    newbie to boards.ie so sorry if this is the wrong place to put this but I was hoping you could settle an arguement for me !
    If the repo men come knocking can they take a PC ? My husband says no coz it breaks the data confidentiality laws regarding access to personal (ie banking) information but I am sure I have heard of PC's being took before. So who is right !?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The sherrif can take anything a repo man can be told f*&k off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i would say yes they can as it would be very easy to wipe the hard drives including any sensetive information. or if this relates to a pc purchased on hp or with finance yes they can as the finance company usually own the pc until it is paid for in full.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

By your husbands logic you coud put aload of personal documents in your car to stop them taking it.... :rolleyes:

They can take the PC and wipe it, if they are repossessing it it means you either have not paid for it or you have outstanding debts which need to be paid, either way its fair game for them to take it and they can wipe it and re-sell it.

Saying it breaks the DPA ain't going to get you anywhere with it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, they could decide to subtract the price of wiping the disk and reinstalling from the sale price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

To my knowledge there's no such thing as a Repo man in Ireland, everyone has to go through the courts to claim things back.

There are 2 types of Sheriffs, Revenue and Court,

The revenue sheriff will take every thing even your under pants and it doesn't care who owns what.

The court sheriff will try to get payment for goods that were sought through a court order and doesn’t want the hassle of repossessing things because most items, TV’s, Computers, Furniture stc… have little or no resale value and no money when expenses are taken into account.

Finance companies own everything until the last payment so can look for there goods to be returned if payments aren’t met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

RockinLola wrote: »
    My husband says no coz it breaks the data confidentiality laws regarding access to personal (ie banking) information but I am sure I have heard of PC's being took before. So who is right !?

I think that the OP is referring to the DPA in the sense of the fact that the repo man will have to know financial details in order to carry out the repossession - not that their sensitive information will be on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

dudara wrote: »
    I think that the OP is referring to the DPA in the sense of the fact that the repo man will have to know financial details in order to carry out the repossession - not that their sensitive information will be on the PC.
    I took the exact opposite meaning from it (ie that they reckoned the PC couldn't be reposessed because of the data on it)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I took the exact opposite meaning from it (ie that they reckoned the PC couldn't be reposessed because of the data on it)

As did I

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ste.phen wrote: »

Oh yeah, I can see that now after another read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If a repo man(As if) or a debt collector comes to your door and you don't want to pay them you can tell them to get away from your home or they'll be charged for trespassing, if they want their money the courts or phone and post are the only way.

Wait reading one of the answers here, can a revenue sheriff just walk straight into your home and take what they want to clear the debt??? Like say they can take a playstation or laptop or something thats not owned by the person in debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Wait reading one of the answers here, can a revenue sheriff just walk straight into your home and take what they want to clear the debt??? Like say they can take a playstation or laptop or something thats not owned by the person in debt.

Ulitmately, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

maidhc wrote: »
    Ulitmately, yes.
    Seriously? Like even if I'm just there and grab it and stuff it in my clothes or something? That would be just robbery as it doesn't belong to the person in debt would it not? Actually Burgulary and if they try and take it from you thats aggravated burgulary.

Well I don't know about the law when it comes to it but if any motherf*cker from the revenue office comes in thinking they can take someone else's property to pay off taxes to line their pockets I'll tell them to go f*ck themselves. Surely it would be robbery and not debt collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seriously? Like even if I'm just there and grab it and stuff it in my clothes or something?
    I'd say, at that point, they'd come with the Gardai, and a legal warrant allowing them to enter your house. You hear all the time about revenue sizing land, cars, cash, etc, from naughty people?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd say, at that point, they'd come with the Gardai, and a legal warrant allowing them to enter your house. You hear all the time about revenue sizing land, cars, cash, etc, from naughty people?

The sheriff is entitled to break into a house or premises to seize goods. He must first however "make reasonable, efforts to enter peaceably and without violence"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

can a revenue sheriff just walk straight into your home and take what they want to clear the debt??? Like say they can take a playstation or laptop or something thats not owned by the person in debt.
    maidhc wrote: »
    Ulitmately, yes.

Hang on, so I'm in a house share with Bob. Bob owes money on a computer. Presumably the sheriff can't take my stuff, only Bob's stuff? I'm assuming I have no relationship with Fictional Bob, other than that we happen to live in the same house. And if Bob owes the money on a computer, can they take his clothes instead? Or his books?

Advertisement