Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A must for sports fans

• 02-07-2009 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭

This week end see's the Annual Skerries 100 motorbike races.

This is a huge event with some great racing and great photo opportunities. Practise is on Friday 3rd from about 6p.m and the races start about noon on Saturday. I am no big fan of motorbikes but there will be some fierce racing on the roads and a huge crowd, think I heard estimates of 30,000 if the weather stays fine.

There are some great spots to cath them at corners, Dublin Rd corner which is only a few hundred yards from the grid, Baldungan where you see a line of bikes heading towards you before they swing left there are a few bends between there and the hairpin before the head back up the Dublin Rd towards Lusk. I head to Baldungan as its nearest to Rush.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is there a link to a website for the event? I presume a lot of the roads will be closed so where would be the closest you could park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

steve06 wrote: »
    Is there a link to a website for the event? I presume a lot of the roads will be closed so where would be the closest you could park?

I would suggest getting there early 11.30 and get a good spot. Not sure about carparks but usually cars park side of road. Depending on where you are coming from I usually go via RUSH to Loughshinny and turn left at loughshinny you will get up as far as Baldungan Castle and then its a short walk to Baldungan corner. Ilke it here as you hcan see a fair bit down the road and the bikes are coming towards you fairly fast and in a line so you can have 5 or 6 bikes in a shot before they have a left as they head for baldungan and on to the hairpin.. If you go Via Lusk you will end up at corner near the pits and the start finish. You can move during the races once the marshalls let you know.

Thats a great post from longshanks100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

LeoB wrote: »
    ....................... Ilke it here as you hcan see a fair bit down the road and the bikes are coming towards you fairly fast and in a line so you can have 5 or 6 bikes in a shot before they have a left as they head for baldungan and on to the hairpin.. If you go Via Lusk.............]

Im thinking of going to this, but don't know the area at all. This this the hairpin you are talking about?
    68829173.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

You can move during the races once the marshalls let you know.

Leo, you can't move along the circuit during races unless you use the fields.

There can also be problems between races walking on the road.

My favourite spot is Dublin Corner and to get a decent position there you'd need to be in place by 11am but can't make it down this year.

Another good spot but possibly a little too dark is along Dublin road from Milverton under the trees just before the start finish.

As you said, obey the marshalls at all times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i shot at it a couple of years ago and between each race i moved along the road to another spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

soccerc wrote: »

My favourite spot is Dublin Corner and to get a decent position there you'd need to be in place by 11am but can't make it down this year.

Another good spot but possibly a little too dark is along Dublin road from Milverton under the trees just before the start finish.

Serious?

Like no other road race i've ever been too..

Maybe that how they get it done so quickly :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

This week end see's the Annual Skerries 100 motorbike races.

This is a huge event with some great racing and great photo opportunities. Practise is on Friday 3rd from about 6p.m and the races start about noon on Saturday. I am no big fan of motorbikes but there will be some fierce racing on the roads and a huge crowd, think I heard estimates of 30,000 if the weather stays fine.

There are some great spots to cath them at corners, Dublin Rd corner which is only a few hundred yards from the grid, Baldungan where you see a line of bikes heading towards you before they swing left there are a few bends between there and the hairpin before the head back up the Dublin Rd towards Lusk. I head to Baldungan as its nearest to Rush.

Just a quick note to say that Dublin Corner no longer exists. It has been renamed Finnegan's Corner in honour of Martin. Here's a link to the circuit map

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Serious?

Like no other road race i've ever been too..

Can I get this straight Ricky.

You're saying at the Road Races you've been at that it is ok and permitted to walk on the circuit during a race?

I've been to most of the events in Ireland over the past 30 years from the Cruagh Hill climb to the NW200 and have never ever seen or heard of that being allowed.

Remind me to avoid whatever ones you've been at so I don't have to witness any carnage.

Any MCUI or Club marshall that permitted anyone on the race circuit should be shot considering the risk to the public and more importantly the riders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I assume he means moving along behind the barriers rather than on the track surface. There isn't a single race track in the world that would allow spectators actually on the track during a race. The idea is plainly ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'm hoping to go to the Walderstown Road Races on Sat 11th & Sun 12th July. No excuses not to really as it's only out the road from me. Still haven't got my grip for the D300 so I'll have to cope with only 6fps.:D :)

Can I get this straight Ricky.

You're saying at the Road Races you've been at that it is ok and permitted to walk on the circuit during a race?

I've been to most of the events in Ireland over the past 30 years from the Cruagh Hill climb to the NW200 and have never ever seen or heard of that being allowed.

Remind me to avoid whatever ones you've been at so I don't have to witness any carnage.

Any MCUI or Club marshall that permitted anyone on the race circuit should be shot considering the risk to the public and more importantly the riders.
    Sorry i misunderstood you.

Thought you meant between races..Don't know how i read that wrong!

waraf wrote: »
    I assume he means moving along behind the barriers rather than on the track surface. There isn't a single race track in the world that would allow spectators actually on the track during a race. The idea is plainly ridiculous

You'd think that wouldn't you :pac:

Suppose this was more letting himself onto the track than actually being allowed on :pac:

Anyway back on topic,I assume pratice went well,No times on mylaps.com though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Please excuse my earlir post and my use of grammer. :o:o:o
    You can move between races
    Yeah thats the hairpin bend. I have not been at the hairpin in years. Up from the hairpin is the shady lane and they are probably going close to full tilt there.
    Along the road between Dublin corner (Finnegans corner) and Baldungan is where I like, the road has a few bends and they are fairly moving coming along it.

As soccerc says Obey the marshalls. Also If you do need to move during the race mind the crops in the fields. Its a great day out but be careful.
    If anyone from boards is going I will be at Baldungan from around 2 to 4.30. pm and we could meet up
    www.loughshinnymotorcycleclub.com

Advertisement