Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The smack talk off topic thread - Shoryuken biatch!

• 02-07-2009 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd kick off an off topic thread for all things off topic as a lot of threads seem to have an aspect of OT along the way.

Right I'll kick off (all in good humour folks;))

Ryu/Sagat - by god I hate fighting you. I'm in G2 and will be close to G1 soon. But just because you have a piss easy way to combo in to your ultra makes not a good player. I wouldn't mind if you mixed it up a bit.

'Gief - playing him can not be fun in any way. There is no exception. He has one game and thats it.

Tiers - Tiers smheers. Here is eventhubs fairly recent tier guide. For 95% of players this has no relevance. The best player I know and have played against is a Vega. The worst a sagat. Its all down to the player.
    When any of us consider getting paid as a SFIV player, then tiers matter. Until then it has 0 relevance. There are bad match ups ok, but thats it.

Dhalsim - Revenge will be mine Kirby. I won 1 match from 10/11 last time. I've been practising!:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Abel is a wanker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If I beat any of you on saturday you should go home disgraced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I don't have the heart to insult a Honda player, you've got enough troubles as it is... :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bison sucks, if psycho power is so good why does bison keep dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Because he keeps getting slapped like a bitch by a man who must use some sort of extreme gel for his hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

you know what, I hate Sagat... not to fight against, but because after weeks of practising with Akuma, I can win more matches with Sagat who I never practice with when I'm not even trying. Late at night, when the brain isn't firing on all cylinders, Sagat can take a beating, moves slow and deals loads of damage, Akuma can't. Sure he's great to use in the middle of the day when I'm awake, but he doesn't fare well when the caffeine has worn off and I'm whiffing tatsu combos :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Indeed, everything has to be perfect when you wanna play as akuma, it can't be laggy, you can't have a greesy joypad/sweaty hands you gotta meditate for awhile before hand :p lol. I've lost more rounds as akuma in 3s and sfiv from inputs not coming out then due to the guy outplaying me. I never have him as my main, I love playing as him but he's always 3rd in line or so.

As for your other point on sagat, I have one of those too, blanka. I must have picked him about 10 times at most online for all the time I've been playing sfiv, and I seem to do well with him. Yet I play viper a hell of a lot more and I know I'd still have a higher chance of beating people with blanka. Hell probably more so then a good few of my lower characters, sakura fei long etc.

Sagat is someone I was looking forward to playing as, but I never play as him for some reason, maybe its cause I heard he was top tier and so I dunno... I'll probably get into playing him soon though. I never mind playing sagat or ryu players. Its Bison I hate (sorry azza:p). All bison players. I just hate how its all about me attacking all the time, which leaves me open but if I manage to block him anyway, I can't punish him, yet he can punish ME! argh bison I hate you.

I also dislike vega, and not big into dhalsim or seth but I don't run into these guys much, I guess I just dislike the 'hit and run, chip at you till the time runs out, haha you can't get me:p" ' playstyle lol. It wasn't really like that in 3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Vega is for true champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yeh, I am going to second Cunny-Funt's frustration with Bison. Its such a bloody head wreck. I just have a hard time punishing. Scissors kick combo's are safe as a warm blanket and he just gets my sim in a corner and chips away. Its so annoying.

I know what i SHOULD be doing when gett scissor spammed.......flame and fireball both stuff it, but one mistake and Ive lost a 3rd of my health. GAH!. That bloody foot,foot,foot scissors kick is like death on a stick.

Now, head stomps. VERY punishable.... in theory. Theory, Smeory. Okay, here goes.

Regalar head stomp at me, back+MP for sim uppercut followed by fireball.
    EX Head stomp, back+MP gets stuffed so use Yoga Blast to the face.
    Regular Head stomp, where he faps about in front of me can be punished with Hard kick slide as he lands.
    And all of the above can be punished with Jumping MP. This is arguably the best option, but it "misses" when it should. It just goes through him some times and I get hit. Perhaps its an online thing.
    I used to slide under it but now, he just changes direction mid air and hits me which is such bs.

Everything is punishable....but they all require different moves! And there is no way to know which one Bison is going to do. Its so feckin annoying! Yoga blast seems like the best option but i just wish the move was better. It leaves you so open when you miss it, its scary. The EX version is quick tho. None of the pro sim players ever use it and so I never really incorporated it into my game but its useful in this, and the blanka match up so Im gonna start practicing it and trying to get the old muscle memory on reaction.

Gah, rant over.

Oh, and A-trak, I quite like fighting gief :p. If he gets in Im usually gonna lost half HP but its good fun trying to keep him out.

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Bison sucks, if psycho power is so good why does bison keep dying.

You must defeat my average Tuesday to stand a chance!
    Leprekaun wrote:
    Because he keeps getting slapped like a bitch by a man who must use some sort of extreme gel for his hair.

Fighting you was a waste of Tuesday!
    Cunny-Funt wrote:
    I hate (sorry azza). All bison players. I just hate how its all about me attacking all the time, which leaves me open but if I manage to block him anyway, I can't punish him, yet he can punish ME! argh bison I hate you.

Anyone who opposses me will fight me on Tuesday!
    Kirby wrote:
    Yeh, I am going to second Cunny-Funt's frustration with Bison. Its such a bloody head wreck. I just have a hard time punishing. Scissors kick combo's are safe as a warm blanket and he just gets my sim in a corner and chips away. Its so annoying.

I know what i SHOULD be doing when gett scissor spammed.......flame and fireball both stuff it, but one mistake and Ive lost a 3rd of my health. GAH!. That bloody foot,foot,foot scissors kick is like death on a stick.

Now, head stomps. VERY punishable.... in theory. Theory, Smeory. Okay, here goes.

Regalar head stomp at me, back+MP for sim uppercut followed by fireball.
    EX Head stomp, back+MP gets stuffed so use Yoga Blast to the face.
    Regular Head stomp, where he faps about in front of me can be punished with Hard kick slide as he lands.
    And all of the above can be punished with Jumping MP. This is arguably the best option, but it "misses" when it should. It just goes through him some times and I get hit. Perhaps its an online thing.
    I used to slide under it but now, he just changes direction mid air and hits me which is such bs.

Everything is punishable....but they all require different moves! And there is no way to know which one Bison is going to do. Its so feckin annoying! Yoga blast seems like the best option but i just wish the move was better. It leaves you so open when you miss it, its scary. The EX version is quick tho. None of the pro sim players ever use it and so I never really incorporated it into my game but its useful in this, and the blanka match up so Im gonna start practicing it and trying to get the old muscle memory on reaction.

Gah, rant over.

Oh, and A-trak, I quite like fighting gief . If he gets in Im usually gonna lost half HP but its good fun trying to keep him out.

You had me cornered but in the end it was Tuesday!
    Bush wrote:
    Abel is a wanker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaLGS8_gE7g&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

another thing I hate is mirror matchs, well not hate, I just find them generally boring, since my 3s days. 99% of the people I play, wait till I pick my character 1st (in sf4 that is) and when they mirror match me I'm like ffs! I woulda picked someone else then...

But some mirrors I hate more than others, guile v guiles for example. chun v chun is also meh..

Azza I know you like playing as bison but what about playing against bision yourself? I can't see bison mirrors being much fun although I'm sure you make quick work of most bisons you face.

Mirror matches are teh gayer than Jazzy!

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    since my 3s days. 99% of the people I play, wait till I pick my character 1st (in sf4 that is) and when they mirror match me I'm like ffs! I woulda picked someone else then...

thats why blind select is the way to go, another plus of championship mode.

Sim vs Sim is actually usually over quicker then normal sim matches....with both players going all out attack as opposed to zoning like with regular sim vs cast matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Cammy mirrors are hilarious, spikes and arrows flying everywhere.

Geif mirrors ftw. Emmm greasy man sweat.

Kirby wrote: »
    thats why blind select is the way to go, another plus of championship mode.

I hope they patch it so that it's an option in Ranked and Player mode to enable it.

Another thing I really... REALLY hate is people who set their icon to either blank or the first ones you unlock to try and fool the person they are playing against into thinking they're a n00b. It's so lame. The game has been out long enough that when I see someone in G3-A with a blank icon and title I know exactly what they are up to.

That being said, I've had to remove my Akuma icon and title and use one a little bit more ambiguous. When I had them on, pretty much everyone I fought picked Ryu or Sagat. With them off I guess people can't guess who I'm going to pick in championship mode.

I have a Cammy title and always pick Cammy straight away when its not blind selection. If the other player picks a counter to Cammy I don't care, the more I play against those characters the better I'll get against them.

Although I recently changed my title to "Gotta Love The Hair" just because I like the title. I'm sure people think I'm trying to throw them off when I pick Cammy in Champ Mode.

Yeh, I'm the same as Jim.

My picture is Sim, my title is Sim's head with the text "Ultimate Yogi."

I'm of the opinion that people are gonna pick who they are going to pick. If it winds up being a "counter" than so be it.

Kind of like those guys who spam left ,right, up, down and then still pick Ryu. Mate, we all knew thats where you were going to end up so save us the time and just pick him.:D

Zangief players get off when playing Cho Aniki.

I played a guy a few times in SSF2HDR who played Ryu, but he used to go around the character select really fast, then leave it on Ryu and wait until the timer counted down. Drove me mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dear Ken players: f**k you and your annoying cross-up MK-> HP shoryu.
    Just... f**k you.

Love, Honda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Is anybody else abit pissed of at how OP Sagat is ?
    Not because I hate playing against him but because I now can't play with my favourite non-shoto character without looking like a cheesy power player.

Yeah I can imagine its annoying, if your an actual fan of Sagat.

Sagat is the definition of shoto mate. He has a dragon punch, and fireballs.

Kirby wrote:
    Sagat is the definition of shoto mate. He has a dragon punch, and fireballs.
    Not really, his Dragon punch [Tiger Uppercut] isn't as strong as a Dragon Punch. His Tiger Shots can be varied in height unlike the Hadoken and he doesn't have a Tornado kick.
    I've always been a fan of Sagat throughout the Alpha series but now I can't play him without looking like a power playing git. :mad:

So basically her has a better fireball game, a dragon punch that does a great job of anti-air but is a little less powerful than a dragon punch, no tornado kick but a tiger knee that does the same thing except is far more effective. Sounds like a Shoto character to me, albeit an over powered one.

He may not officially be a shoto character but I'd group Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sakura, Dan, Gouken and Sagat in together as having similar fighting styles.

:confused:

He IS the definition of a shoto. I dont understand the confusion here..... like chun li is a charge character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

He is as much of a shoto as Gouken is thats for sure!!

He IS the definition of a shoto.

Technically, I don't think he's recognised as a shoto character (if you can show me where he is called a shoto character I'd appreciate it). True shoto clones would be Ken, Akuma, Sakura (i.e. fireball, dp, hurricane)... etc.

Personally I'd group him in with the shotos but if we are being pedantic he isn't a shoto character.

• Advertisement

Shotokan doesn't refare to any particular move set, it refares to a fighting style of Karate.
    Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, and depending on how you look at it Dan* all fight with the Shotokan fighting style.
    Sagat fights with Mauy Thai, therefore he is not a Shoto character.
    [*Dan trained under Gouken but was expelled after Gouken learned that he wanted to kill Sagat.]

Smacktalk thread attack! :D

A dragon punch and fireball is what constitutes a shoto. Everything after that is superfluous.

A dragon punch and fireball is what constitutes a shoto.

Well since we are making up definitions I think a shoto character is any character with a projectile, therefore Sim is a shoto character. Geez Kirby, how clichéd, playing SFIV and picking a shoto character :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Shoto is short for Shotokan Karate.

The method of Karate used by akuma, his brother Gouken and his two students Ryu & Ken, hence shoto. The all wear Gi's, a shotokan karate outfit.

Sagat is a Muai Thai practitioner hence not a 'Shoto' [/Nerd]

A-Trak wrote:

The method of Karate used by akuma, his brother Gouken and his two students Ryu & Ken, hence shoto. The all wear Gi's, a shotokan karate outfit.

^ This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

A-Trak wrote: »

Yup this is right. Ryu and Ken were the original definitions of 'shoto' characters. Then Akuma, Sakura and so on.

• Advertisement

Well I don't think street fighter really emulates karate.

It does. Plenty of karate experts can defy gravity and throw fireballs.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Well I don't think street fighter really emulates karate.
    Or Mauy Thai, or Boxing, or Nin Jitsu.
    It's a game, and things are exaggerated in games.

It doesn't; our favourite "shotos" are actually Ansatsuken fighters, which refers to any number of "assassin" arts.

IIRC the closest we have to actual, Japanese shotokan practitioners in fighters would be Hitomi (DoA) or Jean (VF5R).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It doesn't; our favourite "shotos" are actually Ansatsuken fighters, which refers to any number of "assassin" arts.

IIRC the closest we have to actual, Japanese shotokan practitioners in fighters would be Hitomi (DoA) or Jean (VF5R).
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Both Ryu and Ken are practitioners of a nameless martial art rooted as an assassination style.[3] Both Ryu and Ken learned their art from Gouken, who refined the style as a purely combative non-killing style. Since the SNES version of Street Fighter II, Ryu's fighting style has been referred as "Shotokan" in the English localization of the games' instruction manuals and related literature. Although, Ryu's character was based in Yoshiji Soeno, practicioner of Kyokushinkai Karate under Masutatsu Oyama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Though they're called shotos by fans still, newer SF games don't refer to their martial arts style as shotokan karate, also this argument is incredibly stupid. :pac:

I can just imagine all the gals reading this thread and getting so turned on by the talk of shoto's vs ansatsuken play styles!

Sakura spends all her nights shlicking to thoughts of Master Ryu getting all sweaty.

Advertisement