Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80 k non nationals on dole!!!

Options
  • 02-07-2009 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I hope the moderator does not ban this thread but i have some very stong words to say about immagration..... therea are 80K non nationals claiming the the dole in Ireland that rougly about 20% of those on the dole. these people cant find work and should go home but they wont.. why not becasue its too good over here, why go home and get 50 quid a week while u can stay in irealnd and get 200, if i was an non national i would do the same....

Proberly live cheap and save 120 euor a week and send it back home....
    It makes sense. Its like a gold mine!!!

consequently those iditos will respond they paid PRSI , like the irish did, we needed them and now when we dont need them we are sending them home ... its so unfair.

But the stark reality is that they benefited from us so much during the boom years, irelands minimum wage was about 4-5 times that of eastern european countries.....

We benefited from and they benefited from us... now they should really go home...., WHO IS THE IRISH STATE LOOKING AFTER IRISH PEOPLE OR NON NATIONALS

As stated above when poland joined the EU , germany imposed stringent rules about working in germany.... it was somthing liek they cant work for 6-7 years, why the hell didint irealnd do that.......

The goverment have introduced this work permit increase, this IS going to afect no eu workers but whats the point of getting rid of non eu workers and having ten or twenty new eu ascention states taking their place.

Im irish myself and would like to see this economy get better, Irish jobs should go to irish people fiRSTLY and if they cant be filled should then go to non- nationals it makes perfect sense.

There are so many students looking for work at the moment, even working in a shop or bar would be better than staying at home and getting 40 quid a week, but there are very few jobs availiabe becaue most are taken by eu- and non eu nationals..... Go into londis, spar, cafes, in town and you will see laods of non eu nationals, and Non nationals.

Im not suggesting like Edamein the president fo Uganda that all these pople should go but they should be phased out slowly... I really hav nothing against foreingers but when i see potential jobs, that are taken that irish people could work in and thus claim less welfare going to these people it kind of makes me annoyed!!!

There i have said it, id say this will proebrly get banned, but anyway it doesnt matter, Somebody ahs to say it!!!confused.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Seriously, is this a wind up?

You reckon that someone who paid into the state coffers in the good times should now not claim what is rightfully theirs in the slack times??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Seriously, is this a wind up?

You reckon that someone who paid into the state coffers in the good times should now not claim what is rightfully theirs in the slack times??

Exactly, what did they pay PRSI for in the first place if they were just gonna be fecked out when they lose their jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭nurse23

Well i think it depends how long they were here for and how much PRSI they paid. if a alot of them were working low income jobs they prob did not contribute an awful lot! i'm not an expert though. is there a limit to the amount of social welfare entitlements they are entitled too? or a certain length of time they are to recieve dole for till its stopped and its then either get a job or move on? i have no problem what so ever with eu citizens claiming dole if they plan on making ireland their home but if they are merely sponging off the state till they swan off else where it is irritating. think ireland really needs some thorough legislation regarding social welfare and eu and non eu nationals. think ireland has obviously become a bit of a joke as a give a way state.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

therea are 80K non nationals claiming the the dole in Ireland that rougly about 20% of those on the dole.

In 2006, foreign nationals made up about 10% of the population (from memory) - it will have dropped by now, as some have moved on.

If they make up 20% of the dole claimaints, I think we can only conclude that they have lost jobs more quickly than the Irish.

It's worth noting that people who been in Ireland less than two years have NO entitlement to welfare, unless they have paid PRSI for 52+ weeks in which case they get a half-rate JB.

these people cant find work and should go home but they wont.. why not becasue its too good over here, why go home and get 50 quid a week while u can stay in irealnd and get 200, if i was an non national i would do the same....

Proberly live cheap and save 120 euor a week and send it back home....

I would be very impressed with anyone who can manage to live on E-84 per week. I certainly can't.

Do you really want to break up the families of those who have married here?

And do you really want them to run away from the mortgages the have on properties? Abandoned houses in new-ish estates are such an attractive look. (Yes I know some have, doesn't mean it should be encouraged though)

But the stark reality is that they benefited from us so much during the boom years, irelands minimum wage was about 4-5 times that of eastern european countries.....

And what was the cost of living like?

Oh, and over time how many Irish people have emigrated and sent money home? How many Irish people are currently receiving welfare overseas? (A fair few are getting pensions in my homeland). For that matter, how much has Ireland received in EU subsidies? What exactly was it that kick-started the Celtic Tiger?
    As stated above when poland joined the EU , germany imposed stringent rules about working in germany.... it was somthing liek they cant work for 6-7 years, why the hell didint irealnd do that.......

Because they needed workers to do the service-sector jobs that the Irish refused to do?

Im irish myself and would like to see this economy get better, Irish jobs should go to irish people fiRSTLY and if they cant be filled should then go to non- nationals it makes perfect sense.

I believe that South Africa has a similar policy, using race as one of the first criteria for selecting employees, and other things like competence are considered later. Haven't heard that it's working overly well there.

Oh - and you forgot to include foreign-born Irish nationals in your rant ... please don't leave us out again!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I am a French national, living here 9 years, no gap in my employment history until I was made redundant a few months ago. I thankfully found another job after just 5 weeks.

I had as much right as anyone else to claim the dole for those 5 weeks and much longer if I had to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Im not suggesting like Edamein the president fo Uganda that all these pople should go but they should be phased out slowly...
    i think if had a Visa system in place like USA/NZ/OZ,i know the EU wouldnt pass it but it would stop the influx of foreigners.These people can now claim social welfare for kids that they have in their own country.I know it sounds like a joke but its not,Our Government are paying for their Kids that aren't even in the country.It laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Foreign nationals should be entitled to JB, based on PRSI contributions. They should NOT however, be entitled to JA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Foreign nationals should be entitled to JB, based on PRSI contributions. They should NOT however, be entitled to JA.

Its a sticky wicket. If the FN's get JSA, then the question is: what were you doing that you were not making PRSI payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This is an irrelevant side issue compared to the maelstrom that is the Irish economy at the moment

greendom wrote: »
    This is an irrelevant side issue compared to the maelstrom that is the Irish economy at the moment

In case you had not noticed, these people were here to service the bubble which burst.

Its all connected.

Any immigrant with a lot of PRSI stamps is cool in my book.

Any of them trying to get JSA should just clear right off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭lgoring21

they keep the cost of living down with about 10 livin in the one house....

lgoring21 wrote: »
    they keep the cost of living down with about 10 livin in the one house....

Really? What a useful dole-related argument.

IT Loser wrote: »
    In case you had not noticed, these people were here to service the bubble which burst.

Its all connected.

Any immigrant with a lot of PRSI stamps is cool in my book.

Any of them trying to get JSA should just clear right off.

So why is a non national receiving JSA less deserving than someone born in Ireland? If they are legally allowed to be here why shouldn't they be allowed to claim while looking for work just as any out of work Irish person ?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I suppose they could always get jobs as English Language Teachers. Help people maybe with spelling, grammar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

I think they should be allowed unemployment benefit for 12 months max according to their PRSI contribution's,and after that be sent home if they cant find work,

and I agree that Irish people should be offered the job's first and if the position cant be filled after a certain amount of time only then should a non- national be offered the job.

LeotheLion wrote: »
    I think they should be allowed unemployment benefit for 12 months max according to their PRSI contribution's,and after that be sent home if they cant find work,

and I agree that Irish people should be offered the job's first and if the position cant be filled after a certain amount of time only then should a non- national be offered the job.

Why - how can you justify this ? What if they consider Ireland to be home ?

greendom wrote: »
    Why - how can you justify this ? What if they consider Ireland to be home ?

I can justify it because clearly the state doesnt have the money to be handing out to them ,there is a lot of hardworking non nationals but then there are lots who just want to claim the dole because it's better than what they would get back home,Why don't you agree that an Irish person should be offered a job first in their own home country?

If they want to consider it home then they should be married to an Irish person or have a kid with them,or else be working here for about 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

We welcomed alot of these immigrants with open arms to do the jobs that were seen to be beneath many of us. Now jobs are few, immigrants are many, and we want them to feck off back home. Wasing the floor in Tesco doesnt seem so bad when you're broke :rolleyes:

I think anyone who paid PRSI should have entitlements, after that, people (on coming into the country) should provide evidence that they can support themselves while looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I've been here 10 years. This IS my home, where exactly do you intend to send me? What about my mortgage and various car loans? Do I just abandon them?

Tell you what, the day someone is chosen over me based on nothing more than the passport they hold is the day the company will find themselves in court.

Luckily, in 10 years that I've been here, I've never been interviewed by anyone this short sighted.

We're already un-officially not allowed to claim what is ours by right. Should I for example, sign on, there goes my chances of applying for citizenship...

While I realise you are probably aiming this at short term economic migrants, you'd do well to keep in mind that there are people here like me, who made a permanent move and have no plans of going anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Agree with who? Why not invest in a few kennels for them too since you're going to treat them like dogs!

The right person for the job will be the person most suited and qualified for that job regardless of nationality.

• Advertisement

Mena wrote: »
    I've been here 10 years. This IS my home, where exactly do you intend to send me? What about my mortgage and various car loans? Do I just abandon them?

Tell you what, the day someone is chosen over me based on nothing more than the passport they hold is the day the company will find themselves in court.

Luckily, in 10 years that I've been here, I've never been interviewed by anyone this short sighted.

We're already un-officially not allowed to claim what is ours by right. Should I for example, sign on, there goes my chances of applying for citizenship...

While I realise you are probably aiming this at short term economic migrants, you'd do well to keep in mind that there are people here like me, who made a permanent move and have no plans of going anywhere else.

I was talking about short term,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

lots of countries in europe have limited rights of entry to the enlarged EU citizens for work etc.

Ireland dropped all rules and entry/remaining should be conditional on employment and why not

themadchef wrote: »
    Agree with who? Why not invest in a few kennels for them too since you're going to treat them like dogs!

The right person for the job will be the person most suited and qualified for that job regardless of nationality.

Read back on the post's and you will see who I was agreed with,

And I never said anything about treating them like dogs you gobs**t

Read back on the post's and you will see who I was agreed with,

And I never said anything about treating them like dogs you gobs**t

The idea being that other countries look after their ownself interest and nationals interest very assertively whereas Ireland does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

Anyone who has been to london at night will know of the thousands (no exagaration SP?) of Irish living on the streets. We don't want that here- there are countless Foreign Nationals on the bread line around that could easily go that route... thankfully this country looks after its workers - both native & foreign- it isn't the immigrants that caused this mess... let them have what they are entitled too.

Billions to Anglo----puke!

knightmare wrote: »
    Anyone who has been to london at night will know of the thousands (no exagaration SP?) of Irish living on the streets. We don't want that here- there are countless Foreign Nationals on the bread line around that could easily go that route... thankfully this country looks after its workers - both native & foreign- it isn't the immigrants that caused this mess... let them have what they are entitled too.

Billions to Anglo----puke!

but knightmare - at the expense of our own nationals if there are benefit cuts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What about the irish people who choose not to work during the boom and sat at home on their asses claiming the dole?
    Personally I think it is them that you should be angry at and all the people engaged in social welfare fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

going to lock this thread for now. I'm guessing there is going to be a lot of people banned / infracted for breaking the charter. Update in a sec.

Seriously people - read the charter of the forum you are posting in. This is not the ranting & raving forum.

EDIT:

1. Mr C. Accountant banned for 7 days for starting the thread

2. Dazzler88 red card infraction for an irrelevant / against charter comment

3. Ignoring21 banned for 7 days for his comment about "they live 10 to a house anyway" (or something along those lines)

4. LeotheLion banned for 7 days for his comment about "they should be sent home after 12 months", and his subsequent post

5. CDfm red card infraction for posting against forum charter

I haven't infracted / banned anyone who defended the current system, but as you will know if you read the forum charter - this is not a place for discussing the rights and wrongs of state benefits - it is a place for getting information and asking questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement