Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Mcgowans in Phibs. over 21s?

Options
  • 03-07-2009 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I've been there a few times, no bother getting in, i'm not 21, but I have heard from loads of different people that it is 21s.

Just to know for future ref. Don't to half to walk to Quinns from Mcgowans.:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've been there a few times, no bother getting in, i'm not 21, but I have heard from loads of different people that it is 21s.
    It's illegal for any pub to operate an "over 21's policy". If you are over 18 years of age, you can't be discriminated against (all else being equal).
    Don't to half to walk to Quinns from Mcgowans.:p
    What? :confused: Please translate!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Don't have to walk to Quinns from McGowans I think she meant, Wish.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Claire-tha-bear

It's illegal for any pub to operate an "over 21's policy". If you are over 18 years of age, you can't be discriminated against (all else being equal).

What? :confused: Please translate!
    miss spelling,it was late...haha...don't want to HAVE to walk ...oppsies

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The doormen can be pretty ratty there. In my experience, It'll be over 21's if you're under 21 and they don't like the look of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Didn't they amend the Equal Status Act to specifically allow pubs to do this once it was clearly advertised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yeah Wishbone, they changed the law back. OP, just go to The Mill instead, the back part's always a great laugh when I've been there. Quieter than McGowan's obviously tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

No it isn't, and yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

going there for a few years now at this stage, not over 21s but they can be a bit strict on a regulars only policy, and if they dont know your face3 ya normally get the third degree.

nice spot though so the best thing to do is go about three weeks in a row so ya get to be known and then ya can cruise in anytime., eg i didnt go there for about six months but started goin there recently again and they still knew my face and dont bother checkin id on me anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Its been a good while, but they seemed to have a policy of over 21 for blokes, over 18 for girls. And some random refusals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Big tall guy, about 48-50 ish on the door, his name is Tony.

Just talk to him about poker and you will be the flavour of the month....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I can't believe they get away with charging to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

in fairness, its only 7 in and its 3.50 a drink on three of the nights, and its a good spot for clunge so they can charge whatever they want, after all it is the coppers of the northside!!!

Advertisement