Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What law does this come under?

Options
  • 03-07-2009 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this should have been posted in the Law section, Mods feel free to move it.

I was just wondering what law(s) covered this or what it came under.
    There's this really, really homophobic teacher in my school that I'm almost guaranteed to have next year. This guy generally goes on rants condemning gays, jews, blacks, etc. He actually went on a rant two years ago that was something like "how all gays are going to die of Aids and burn in hell". It wasn't my class, but I got told every tiny detail.

I honestly don't think I could sit through this if he ever did it again. Would I be able to report him and to who? I'm pretty sure this comes under some form of hate speech. I mean, is it illegal for a teacher to say this kinda crap in front of kids? What can I do if he starts with this again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

This is totally unacceptable. Definitely make this known to the principal and/or your parents. If nothing is done about it, I would be very surprised.

What a prick though. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'm 99% sure it's known by the school. And some parents know... My parents aren't exactly on the list I'd like to tell.

This teacher is pretty high up on the teacher rank. He's just below the vice principal and very good friends with the principal.

He is such a prick though. He has this total nice guy act going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BisexualGamer

people like him make me sick, <snip>. Hopefully he'll get fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

If you are serious about this I would contact the Department of Education and seek advice from his actual employer. You can get their contact information on www.education.ie. I'd say BelongTo would be able to give you a hand too, if you're familiar with them. They do a lot of school-based campaigns and would be willing to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭4red

Other things you can do:

Get a petition signed by your fellow students against this teacher and send it to the principal.

Find a sympathetic teacher who you can explain your case to (though don't expect to find a fellow crusader).

Write a clear unemotional letter explaining the situation - send it to your principal and the local newspaper.

Ring a journalist in a national newspaper - many of them are covering issues like this:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0703/1224249968769.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

If you do find yourself with him as a teacher, and he spouts off, make sure to write down exactly what he says, word for word. If you have some sort of audio recording, all the better. Then go to the local / national papers. Ask the principal in writing if he condones an employee saying "X Y Z" (ie quote him word for word there). Maybe do the same the deprtment of education. If he spouts off again, tell him you have in writing from his boss that that sort of behaviour is unacceptable. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

If you are serious about this I would contact the Department of Education and seek advice from his actual employer. You can get their contact information on www.education.ie. .
    That’s jumping the gun a bit . First thing you need to do is have a word with the principle. Most likely he is aware of the teacher’s attitude but hasn’t done any thing because there has been no complaints made to him (in a lot of cases it‘s like an old boys club with regard to teachers being in schools for there whole career). If he says some thing while in your presence or treats you differently write a letter of complaint and address it to the board of management care of the principle (most schools wont entertain disciplining staff unless you put it in writing)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

According to Wikipedia, there exist laws against hate speech under the Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act, 1989. If it happens, I'd go to the police and reference this act.

Aard wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia, there exist laws against hate speech under the Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act, 1989. If it happens, I'd go to the police and reference this act.

Yep there's a law against it. Hilariously that law come into force (in 1989) before gay sex was legal (in 1992). Only in Ireland :P

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Probably not a good idea to report it to the Department, the last thing you want to do is get on the bad side of your Principal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

4red wrote: »
    Get a petition signed by your fellow students against this teacher and send it to the principal.

Not to be rude, but how long has it been since you were in school?! :eek: I was openly gay in school and would give out about stuff all the time without issues but in such a situation not even I would have started a petition (and I wasn't the shy type). Most students either wouldn't take it seriously, or think it was well "sad".

I doubt the principal would take such a petition seriously. I'd say go straight to the Department. It might be jumping the gun but if I know "procedure" that's where it'll ultimately end up before anything proper is done about it.

There was furore in my school a few years back when one teacher told students the procedure for complaining to DoES. While the complaints (about another teacher, nothing like this) were mostly unjustified and as a result, the Department dropped it, they did investigate it.

The Department has procedures for complaints. If they take action, it won't be any more than is warranted, so I see no harm in going right to the top.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it a religious owned school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Thanks folks :)

I have some understanding of what to do if he starts it again. If there's an investigation, could there be repercussions for me in school? My school has sly ways of making life hell for students.
    spurious wrote: »
    Is it a religious owned school?

Would that make a difference when complaining? It is anyway.

Aoifums wrote: »
    Thanks folks :)

I have some understanding of what to do if he starts it again. If there's an investigation, could there be repercussions for me in school? My school has sly ways of making life hell for students.

I don't doubt you for a second. However that's illegal. It's been against the law to make homophobic comments for about 20 years now (most likely since before you were born). Just cause someone complains about a staff member breaking the law, doesn't mean they are allowed to make you're life hell.

Would that make a difference when complaining? It is anyway.

Religious schools have various exemptions from equality legislation to 'preserve their ethos'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 common_parlance

Secret video uploaded to YouTube FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ceret wrote: »

Religious schools have various exemptions from equality legislation to 'preserve their ethos'.

Employment equality only. NOT incitement to hatred laws!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd reccomend contacting belong to to ask for advice

What he says could also be Harrassment under the Equal Status Acts

I actually do think that belong to is the best one to ask for advice

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Secret video uploaded to YouTube FTW.

Definitly! There's nothing like publicly humiliating someone who's an ass. The teacher can spout disgusting things cause he only thinks that children who are afraid of his power are listening. Get it up on YouTube, it might wind up on the Six-One. Your principal would have to do something about it then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

Aoifums wrote: »
    Sorry if this should have been posted in the Law section, Mods feel free to move it.

I was just wondering what law(s) covered this or what it came under.
    There's this really, really homophobic teacher in my school that I'm almost guaranteed to have next year. This guy generally goes on rants condemning gays, jews, blacks, etc. He actually went on a rant two years ago that was something like "how all gays are going to die of Aids and burn in hell". It wasn't my class, but I got told every tiny detail.

I honestly don't think I could sit through this if he ever did it again. Would I be able to report him and to who? I'm pretty sure this comes under some form of hate speech. I mean, is it illegal for a teacher to say this kinda crap in front of kids? What can I do if he starts with this again?

What subjects does he teach? If he teaches biology or physics just ask him how he can justify being a teacher of science and a religious bigot at the same time,obviously you'll have to make it more subtle than that.Hope you enjoy humilliating the miserable old twat in front of the class:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

Interesting situation and interesting to read reactions and advice; alas most of it bad to disastrous.

You don't seem to keen on parental involvement so you need to be clear how public you want your involvement to be.

Is it possible to report him? Yes. Such remarks are illegal and illegal in any school, religious or otherwise. They are also, and probably equally importantly given the school setting, entirely inappropriate, and unprofessional. If they have been repeated over many years or months, they constitute bullying.

To whom? The principal firstly. No point going anywhere else, you will be told to start there by the Department of Education etc.

How? Do not record him saying this using phones or whatever. If you do you are undermining your case in advance. Make a written note immediately after class of what was said. put the date and time on it.

Talk to the prinicpal. Friend or not of the perp he should realise that a situation needs handling. Be prepared to be leant on. Do not surrender your notes. Surrender a copy. If a friend has a separate copy they made kept elsewhere all the better.;) Do not make ultimatums about liveline or other such. Explain to the Principal what you want. Which is the most important decision of all: what do you want?
    To get your leaving without getting wrapped up in a scene like this?
    To get this man fired. ( It won't happen.)
    To get this man humiliated? (And sympathy for him?)
    To shut this man up and put the school on notice that it must live up to its duties?
    It is possible to accomplish three of the above. And without a lot of public noise for you. I'd like to know how this one works out. Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement