Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let us end politics forever

Options
  • 03-07-2009 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Politics makes no sense. Every individual in society must be fully free and empowered. All institutions must be abolished. We must stop denying our true nature. Technological progress must cease. We must accept our subordination to nature and stop drying to dominate and subjugate it. Western society is deluded and corrupt and it has brought deluge everywhere it has gone. It must be reformed before we are all doomed. This is not political reform, this is a reform in the whole way in which human beings perceive themselves. We must stop viewing ourselves and discrete and separate entities. We must stop betraying our humanity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Ok.... you turn your computer off first, and I promise I will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Technological progress must cease.

Definition of Irony!! Classic post.

I don't think we'd last very long if every individual was free to do whatever he wanted (there are so many crazy people who would murder, rape, etc regardless of the kind of world they were living in)

People on this forum seem to continually argue over which system offers the most freedom, as if that is the ultimate aim. To me, safety, standard of living and technological progress are more important than freedom. But maybe thats just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭synd

Politics makes no sense. Every individual in society must be fully free and empowered. All institutions must be abolished. We must stop denying our true nature. Technological progress must cease. We must accept our subordination to nature and stop drying to dominate and subjugate it. Western society is deluded and corrupt and it has brought deluge everywhere it has gone. It must be reformed before we are all doomed. This is not political reform, this is a reform in the whole way in which human beings perceive themselves. We must stop viewing ourselves and discrete and separate entities. We must stop betraying our humanity.

This is a political statement :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jabbertalky

So how are you going to get anything done if there is no politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Stokes

The OP clearly got the munchies after starting the thread and lost all memory about it during a haze of cheesey puff induced coma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

This could be possible when we become post physical

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

efla wrote: »
    What?

I think what he meant was when we've died and gone to heaven :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

man whatever your smoking i want some :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

why give powers to the weak?

• Advertisement

I think what he meant was when we've died and gone to heaven :pac:

I think he's talking about when technology eventually allows us to upload the complexity of our thought processes to a computer and conquer death through artificial existence :)

Which would call into question the nature of the authentic and the very subjectivity of the term 'being', taking, as it does, the human as the a priori in terms of meaning. Would we exist as individuals? Or perhaps as an objectified collective embodied in the machine?

I wonder if we would still have paper ballots...

I think he's talking about when technology eventually allows us to upload the complexity of our thought processes to a computer and conquer death through artificial existence :)

Which would call into question the nature of the authentic and the very subjectivity of the term 'being', taking, as it does, the human as the a priori in terms of meaning. Would we exist as individuals? Or perhaps as an objectified collective embodied in the machine?

I would imagine as individuals the politicians would impose their will on us even in cyber space. :eek:

In the words of Agent Smith: It was inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

maybe, but if we were advanced enough to reach that stage I'd imagine we could create millions of individual cyber realities, one for each human mind. On topic though, I do like the idea of a world were people can live their lives free from the interference of others/institutions and I think its partially achievable in practice but not completely due to the finite nature of the resources available.

Strangely, this seems to have had some formal attention

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055637364

Strange stuff indeed. To elaborate on my previous post though I think to truly liberate yourself from all politics you would have to become a hermit or something. Politics is essentially about power and all relationships seem to be based on power to some degree. Imagine even a two person relationship, one person is always dominant over the other to some degree. Think aswell of schools, groups form with a dominant leader and these occur even in the smallest of classes. So yes there is no getting away from it poltics is here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

So how are you going to get anything done if there is no politics?

Things were done long before there was a thing called 'politics', so politics isn't the reason that things get done.

I can see where the OP is coming from, though.
    Politics makes no sense.
    Politics as we know it here? That is, democratically elected governments and representatives? If so, then I agree. At present, I'm not a believer in democracy.
    Every individual in society must be fully free and empowered. All institutions must be abolished.
    Institutions and the accompanying bureaucracy can be extremely annoying. How do you mean 'free' and 'empowered' in this case? Anarchy?
    We must stop denying our true nature. Technological progress must cease. We must accept our subordination to nature and stop drying to dominate and subjugate it.
    What do you see as our true nature? Remember, a big part of our nature is greed and the overwhelming desire to be dominant. Technological progress is natural, given our potential as humans for 'original' thought. Why do you suggest that it ceases? As a race, you are right that we attempt to control Nature, but that's a result of our nature within Nature.
    Western society is deluded and corrupt and it has brought deluge everywhere it has gone. It must be reformed before we are all doomed.
    Not quite true. Countless great and innovative ideas and thoughts have been spawned by Western society, starting historically, with the Greeks and their philosophy. What part of Western society do you see leading to our doom?
    This is not political reform, this is a reform in the whole way in which human beings perceive themselves. We must stop viewing ourselves and discrete and separate entities. We must stop betraying our humanity.
    It will take a great monumental change on a global scale for humans to change their perception. That's not to say it's impossible. Look back over history. Periods such as the Dark Ages and the following Renaissance are tribute to this penchant for monumental change.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

to a certain degree....I can certaintly empathise with the OP. In fact, this is a topic which has long fascinated and plagued me. I often think of it in a true anarchist sense, of Proudhon or the likes. This is the idea that despite all humanity's self lauded and apparently constructive moves as a singular entity in the past 1000 years, perhaps we have truly missed the point of existence on this incredible planet. It's interesting to think of a society completely untouched by the construes of the past few centuries, ie the political set up, industry, economics and so on.

maybe it isn't all about "going forward".

and then you think....ah, but the internet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

and then you think....ah, but the internet.....

running water.............flush toilets.......electric lights..............not having to grow and kill your own food...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

A naive notion.

Advertisement