Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peerless brought back to Life after 90 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

PanhardPL wrote: »
    IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/35n93k4.jpg[/IMG] Peerless
    2usvlls.jpg Peerless
    34hcv2f.jpg Peerless.
    vilkdk.jpg Peerless & Rolls Royce.
    Is there a known histroy behind this vehicle ?? I vaguely remember reading The Singing Flame by Ernie O'Malley and the IRA used an armoured car in the front of the Four Courts in one of the grassy areas facing the Liffey firing back. Anyway, the armoured car withstood all that the National/Free State Army was throwing against it for several days to the chuckled amazement of the IRA defenders. So much so, that they gave it a nickname, possibly Peerless ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If I recall, "Peerless" was a model name, not the name of any particular vehicle.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

McArmalite wrote: »
    Is there a known histroy behind this vehicle ?? I vaguely remember reading The Singing Flame by Ernie O'Malley and the IRA used an armoured car in the front of the Four Courts in one of the grassy areas facing the Liffey firing back. Anyway, the armoured car withstood all that the National/Free State Army was throwing against it for several days to the chuckled amazement of the IRA defenders. So much so, that they gave it a nickname, possibly Peerless ?[/QUOTE

According to Karl Martin's book "Irish Army Vehicles", 1143 vehicles were handed over by the British between 1st April 1922 and August 1923, including 13 Rolls Royce , 7 Peerless & 111 Lancia Armoured Cars. The details of all vehicles in service with the Defence Forces from 1922 to 2004 are included in Karl's book, - ISBN 0-9543413-0-9.

If I recall, "Peerless" was a model name, not the name of any particular vehicle.

NTM
    You are correct, Peerless was a model that was made in the USA and imported into the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

NTM
    PanhardPL wrote: »
    According to Karl Martin's book "Irish Army Vehicles", 1143 vehicles were handed over by the British between 1st April 1922 and August 1923, including 13 Rolls Royce , 7 Peerless & 111 Lancia Armoured Cars. The details of all vehicles in service with the Defence Forces from 1922 to 2004 are included in Karl's book, - ISBN 0-9543413-0-9.

Very good lads, very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

What's that, behind that beauty, Comet, BREN and some of the Panhards?

A bit OT... is there a possibility to organise a tour through The Curragh Camp? Mainly to see the preserved AFVs in there. Is there anyone who can be contacted?
    PM me, please, if you know. Cheers

The following maybe of interest,
    vilkdk.jpg Peerless & Rolls Royce.
    jt2uqx.jpg Landsverk Tank
    2e0pmc3.jpg Scania Armoured
    3305r9j.jpg Ford Armoured Car
    2uiw0gg.jpg Panhard AML
    w8pc28.jpg Comet A34 Tank
    140f50h.jpg Rolls Royce
    2qa7dd0.jpg Panhard AML 90
    33dxxxd.jpg Bren Carrier
    1685sud.jpg Rolls & Peerless
    2a7ae83.jpg Scorpion
    ws728y.jpg Panhards & Mowags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Those are excellent pictures & very interesting. Could I ask when/where were they taken ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Thanks for sharing.:)

Morlar wrote: »
    Those are excellent pictures & very interesting. Could I ask when/where were they taken ?
    All those pictures were taken in the Curragh on Thursday at the stand down cermony for a Lt. Col. in Combat Support.

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing.:)
    David you are welcome.
    Many thanks for sharing all of your air pics over the past few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Don't tell me that I have to change my browser...se f all :mad: even the pictures which were visible in the morning are gone :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dobkfz

id love to see more of the irish classic military stuf i heard that the curraght camp was to open a museum this year did i here wrong.

dobkfz wrote: »
    id love to see more of the irish classic military stuf i heard that the curraght camp was to open a museum this year did i here wrong.
    Here is a preserved Panhard M3, all of which are now withdrawn and replaced by Mowags.
    qnwls0.jpg Panhard M3 VTT.

""SNAP"" curragh race course this summer, i went there with a fue lads turner out to be a great day with some weird sights ( a british red coat sitting on a ww11 motorbike having a fag)

McArmalite wrote: »
    Is there a known histroy behind this vehicle ?? I vaguely remember reading The Singing Flame by Ernie O'Malley and the IRA used an armoured car in the front of the Four Courts in one of the grassy areas facing the Liffey firing back. Anyway, the armoured car withstood all that the National/Free State Army was throwing against it for several days to the chuckled amazement of the IRA defenders. So much so, that they gave it a nickname, possibly Peerless ?
    there is another verison of that story which said that the anti treaty lads held up in the four courts had a rolls royce armoured car called the (ex mutineer) and that it took a beating but held out and it was blocked in by the pro treaty lads with a lancia armoured lorry. but i find there is always a fue storys about this part of irish history... you can see the lancia blocking the gate of the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Great Photos

Advertisement