Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add the numbers in the Triangle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Of course, another variation on the above is that the TV show employees copied the numbers wrong from some other source, like a school textbook, and then never checked the answer. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ektich

Here's a question, it's a variation on the solution that I suggested earlier where the calculator sees one number wrong and then forgets to add the single triangles to the total.

How did brightkane get the diagram on page one? Are we sure that this is in fact the accurate set of five numbers, because if (let's say) the actual numbers were different from these, then of course the solution would not be 993 as we all seem to agree.
    Numbers are correct, and there's some screen captures on pages 2 and 3 of this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ro810

Here's a question, it's a variation on the solution that I suggested earlier where the calculator sees one number wrong and then forgets to add the single triangles to the total.

How did brightkane get the diagram on page one? Are we sure that this is in fact the accurate set of five numbers, because if (let's say) the actual numbers were different from these, then of course the solution would not be 993 as we all seem to agree.

For example, I worked out that these numbers using the same logic actually do give a total of 622:

now looking at those, 8 instead of 25 is difficult to imagine, but 23 instead of 78 and 31 instead of 51 not so difficult.

But in any case, I am just asking, this diagram that we are all working off, did anyone see what they had on the TV show? Obviously, I didn't. :D

nope the pic on the first page is the right one!! i was up till 5 last night trying 2 solve it and i have in on a page beside me...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭dodzy

For example, I worked out that these numbers using the same logic actually do give a total of 622:

now looking at those, 8 instead of 25 is difficult to imagine, but 23 instead of 78 and 31 instead of 51 not so difficult.

But in any case, I am just asking, this diagram that we are all working off, did anyone see what they had on the TV show? Obviously, I didn't. :D

If indeed there was a screw-up, then to get from 993 to 622 would mean a significant drop. At first glance, if all figures remained the same with one exception - 78 ( and it in fact it was a '1' and not a '7' ? ). Off to get the calculator.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

these questions, answers and how they are made have to be given to an independent source to verify, so i doubt it was a screw up, but i still don't know how it was the answer myself

Just because we cant figure out the answer doesn't mean it's not right, remember they have the knowledge of knowing everything about the question so they also know the answer

• Advertisement

cloneslad wrote: »
    these questions, answers and how they are made have to be given to an independent source to verify, so i doubt it was a screw up, but i still don't know how it was the answer myself

I say its not possible, the game should be voided and therefor, it would be morally wrong of you to accept the money:D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Am I the only one who sees 11 triangles?

5 individual ones
    1 with all 5 smaller triangles
    1 with 25 & 78
    1 with 25 & 34
    1 with 43 & 51
    1 with 43 & 51 & 34
    1 with 43 & 51 & 78

Still can't see a combination that gives 622

Well, according to this bit on their homepage under Terms and Conditions even if they are wrong - they won't admit it.
    In an event of technical errors, misunderstandings or other conflicts related to the correct answer to the puzzle or any other parts of the Programme, including the handling of the telephone system, the decision of the organiser and/or TV3 is final.

Stealdo wrote: »

5 individual ones
    1 with 25 & 78
    1 with 25 & 34
    1 with 43 & 51
    1 with 43 & 51 & 34
    1 with 43 & 51 & 78

There's only 4 small triangles. where did you find 5th? the top one with 25 written in it is not a triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

5 individual ones
    1 with 25 & 78
    1 with 25 & 34
    1 with 43 & 51
    1 with 43 & 51 & 34
    1 with 43 & 51 & 78

there is only 4 small triangles, 25 isnt a triangle

• Advertisement

Two numbers have to be wrong to get from 993 to 622, the reason being this, if you assume 25 is okay, then the error of 371 cannot be the product of four times either 34 or 78 changed to some other number, neither can it be the product of five times 43 or 51 changed to some other number.

It has to be the sum of two of these. You can work out various combinations, they have to satisfy an equation 4X + 5Y = 371 and for various reasons this means the error in either 43 or 51 has to be an odd number and the error in either 34 or 78 has to be a number ending in 4 or 9 (meaning that if it's 78 that's wrong, the correct number has to end in 4 or 9 as well).

One example of a correct solution keeping 25 intact is

I suppose you could imagine that the puzzle calculator wrote these down somehow, confusing 34 and 78 in the first instance, then seeing 51 as 12.

This would suggest a combination of dyslexia and distraction.

This also works and perhaps suggests just distraction:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 djmetric

nope, just my name and number

I got through to the studio on Tuesday. I didn't get asked for my name and number though. A recorded message just said "Please hold you are being put through to the studio" and a few seconds later I was put through.

Got the answer wrong though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 will316

5 individual ones
    1 with 25 & 78
    1 with 25 & 34
    1 with 43 & 51
    1 with 43 & 51 & 34
    1 with 43 & 51 & 78

i see 11 triangles 2

5 individual ones
    1 with all 5 smaller triangles.....

Are you considering the top section a triangle. Surely not. In that case, there are 4 individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnniekipper

I am very annoyed also. I foolishly spent around 25 euro ringing last night. I got thrrough once but had the wrong answer. I then stayed up till 3 when they failed to show the answer. I suspect like many people on this thread that it is a scam as there is no way it comes out to 622. They basically said it was 622 at the end and waited for a caller to call in. Has anyone contacted TV3 regarding this? surely they owe us an explanation.

If that's a screen capture of the TV program, with the well-endowed wench etc, then one would have to wonder, besides the obvious, did the staff of the TV show copy down the numbers for their triangle correctly from the school textbook? As I showed earlier, there are numbers that can be used to get 622 but at least two have to be different from what we see there.

I suppose the other explanation is that the school textbook has the same diagram but the author/editor made mistakes in his calculations, and the TV show people just took their word for the total.

There is no way that the right answer is 622, it is 993, guaranteed.

If that's a screen capture of the TV program, with the well-endowed wench etc, then one would have to wonder, besides the obvious, did the staff of the TV show copy down the numbers for their triangle correctly from the school textbook? As I showed earlier, there are numbers that can be used to get 622 but at least two have to be different from what we see there.

I suppose the other explanation is that the school textbook has the same diagram but the author/editor made mistakes in his calculations, and the TV show people just took their word for the total.

There is no way that the right answer is 622, it is 993, guaranteed.

Its back ! And tonight is all about little pussies:D Jebus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RedivideR

I also tried to phone a couple of times last night with my girlfriend but didn't get through.
    The answer is definitely 993 though.
    very interested to hear what TV3s explanation is!

Has anyone contacted TV3 for an explanation? I will try them tomorrow. If it is a scam (which it appears to be) money should be refunded. Also if it is a scam, shouldn't we pass the word on to Gerry Ryan or Joe Duffy so other people don't get ripped off?

i must agree me and my brother wasted at least a 10r on that show with the right answer...but we never got through!! even if we did and we said 993 and they said NO we would of been furious!!

just to note people according to the people hu run boards.ie we can not refer dirctly about the show and or call it a scam etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

i got 11 triangles

Perhaps you counted the love triangle. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Perhaps you counted the love triangle. :cool:
    there is definatly 11

ok there is be is NO WAT there is 11 bcz we have already came to the conclusion that the answer is 993... and if there was 11 that just brings us in2 a worse situation bcz it will b even mre then 622

RedivideR wrote: »
    I also tried to phone a couple of times last night with my girlfriend but didn't get through.

I started the thread with the right answer.

Can I have my €4622 by cheque please

RedivideR wrote: »

I have emailed ray darcy and also put in a complaint with http://www.bcc.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

there is definatly 11

Want to show us a diagram or something maybe?

there is definatly 11

There definitely is not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 germitche

Hi Guys, I googled 622 triangle a few mins ago to try and find out how they got the answer and found this thread.

Anyway, my point is, I'm the guy who called in and won, James from Monaghan :) I only knew they answer cos he pretty much said it on the show, best part is, it was only the second time I had called into the show, ever :) I tried calling a few weeks ago for the "animal beginning with c" but my mobile didn't allow me to call it.

I got fed up last night and decided to see if i could call again and it let me through, first time i was unsuccessful, but i got through the second time.

Have to say, i have no idea how they got the answer, but I am delighted to be €4600 richer for it, I get my check sometime in the next 4 weeks :)

My answer was 174 or 993 but it is not correct on TV3 game show

3A + 4B + 5C + 5D + 4E = 622 622 correct answer

A= 25 or 2+5=7
    B= 34 or 3+4=7
    C= 43 or 4+3=7
    D= 51 or 5+1=6
    E= 78 or 7+8=15

Can anyone explain how 622 is achieved ?

Any news on legs on bus solution?

Thanks Ger

• Advertisement

We really have to bring this scam show to the attention of the public and the broadcasting complaints commission. It needs to be taken off the air. I can't believe it can be legal. Remember all the fuss when Blue Peter was found to have done a scam. We need to do the same here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement