Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add the numbers in the Triangle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

What you should do is, you should ring up to one of their next competitions, get through to the studio, and instead of giving an answer call shenanigans. Call them out live on air, if it is live that is, and if you don't get cut off immediatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Stealdo wrote: »
    Am I the only one who sees 11 triangles?

5 individual ones
    1 with all 5 smaller triangles
    1 with 25 & 78
    1 with 25 & 34
    1 with 43 & 51
    1 with 43 & 51 & 34
    1 with 43 & 51 & 78

Still can't see a combination that gives 622

If you drew a line right down the centre, the 25 now becomes two 12.5 triangles and also opens up two new triangles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Healio wrote: »
    If you drew a line right down the centre, the 25 now becomes two 12.5 triangles and also opens up two new triangles.

OK are we at the stage now where we just start making stuff up and changing the rules? :rolleyes:

On the show you are told to add up the numbers in all the traingles, you cant just go making new shapes and triangles.

Also this show is obviously setup in such a way they dont have to give you the answer so it can be any number they like. The fact you are all on here still talking about how it cant be 622 is a bit amusing. Just because they said thats the answer doesnt mean it is, or that its mathematically correct. They gave the answer to us themselves through hints so even when it was guessed it was just guessed because it was given and they had made enough money. They didnt justify it or show how its done so you can sit here and work it out all the ways you want but im pretty certain you will never get 622 simply because it isnt the actual answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

sure why not just draw another 5 triangles beside that one and count them as well like?! ya could split any of them and include them, but that wouldnt make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ro810

i find is amazing as to how new people are coming into this and ranting and raving before even reading the whole story... and they are getting so angry... haha we started to to try and solve the problem and that we did the answer is 993. but then we decided that we would try to find a way to get 622 from the triangle provided. so we tried just to find it was impossible... SIMPLE AS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnniekipper

ro810 wrote: »
    i find is amazing as to how new people are coming into this and ranting and raving before even reading the whole story... and they are getting so angry... haha we started to to try and solve the problem and that we did the answer is 993. but then we decided that we would try to find a way to get 622 from the triangle provided. so we tried just to find it was impossible... SIMPLE AS!!!

I don't understand your point. People are angry because there is no logical explanation for the figure 622 for the puzzle. Therefore it would seem to be a scam, until proven otherwise by TV3.

Axwell wrote: »
    OK are we at the stage now where we just start making stuff up and changing the rules? :rolleyes:

On the show you are told to add up the numbers in all the traingles, you cant just go making new shapes and triangles.

I suggest you go look at it again. if people are using 78 + 25 as a triangle, then 34 + 12.5 is also a triangle; as is 78 + 12.5, 43+34+12.5 and 51+78+12.5.

coyle wrote:
    sure why not just draw another 5 triangles beside that one and count them as well like?! ya could split any of them and include them, but that wouldnt make any sense.

Why would i go draw 5 more triangles? Go back and have a look again before making silly comments like that.

Why would i go draw 5 more triangles? Go back and have a look again before making silly comments like that.

i know exactly what it looks like, so there's no need. I was makin the point that it is what it is, ya can't just throw in a line where ya feel like it. If youre splittin 25 into two triangles, then why not split 78 or any of the others like? that doesnt make any sense.

(on a side note: goddamn it, ive reached nerd-dom at last, havin an internet argument about splittin poxy triangles in a puzzle!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I suggest you go look at it again. if people are using 78 + 25 as a triangle, then 34 + 12.5 is also a triangle; as is 78 + 12.5, 43+34+12.5 and 51+78+12.5.

I suggest you go back to primary school maths where this question was supposed to come from. 78 & 25 are in the shape of a traingle that exists already, if you look at the original image its easy to see the clear triangles present in the picture. 12.5 is not a traingle, it doesnt exist as a triangle in the original image, simple as that.
    You are on about creating a brand new line just for yourself to make it into two traingles which is just ridiculous. You obviously didnt see the show or the rules and the way it was explained. Now off you go and stop making silly comments as you put it yourself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I watched it til the end too, drove me fecking bonkers. When 4622 came up I knew that was the right answer, but I had no credit on my phone, since I wasted it on another night. And I'm under 18, so I was worried they'd ask my DOB and I'd mess up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭dodzy

Sent this to info@TV3.ie yesterday. Waiting here with baited breath :rolleyes:

"As the host channel for the above show which runs from 1am until 3am, I would appreciate if you could clarify something for me:

On Thursday night’s show, there was a puzzle given to solve. A multitude of answers were given, quite a lot of these answers proving without a shadow of a doubt the stupidity which is rife within our small nation. That said, many rang and ( luckily ) managed to actually get through to the host and give their answer. All were wrong according to the host. I could go on but suffice to say, all answers were deemed wrong. Prior to the close of the show, appprox 2.15am, the host had all but told the viewing public the correct answer and invited callers. It took 45 mins, coincidentally this took us up to 3.00am, the scheduled end time of the show, before one guy managed to get through, he gave an answer (which by his own admission he believed it to be wrong !) and voila, he was financially better off to the tune of €4,622 !

The show ran again last night, this time with a rivetting new puzzle, a new host, and once again, the viewing public throwing a barrage of ridiculous answers. That said, on occasion, a caller would give what many believed to be the correct answer. Alas, wrong again! I could not bring myself to endure the same torture again so I pulled the plug and hit the bed. According to a reputable Irish forum, the show ended in similar fashion to its predecessor – An answer that makes absolutely no sense at all.

Please see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055610276 for the posts of irate viewers from Thursday night’s show.

And here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055611255 for last night’s effort.

Assuming that the puzzles and their respective answers were verified prior to running of the shows, could you please let me know how the answers were arrived at ?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Avid TV3 follower"

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnniekipper

Well Done Dodzy. I have the broadcasting complaints form printed out and ready to fill in and send also (they don't accept them by email). I also rang TV3 saturday but only got answering machine. I will try again Monday(maybe the phone answering staff only work mon to fri). Time we get this scam show sorted out once and for all.

coyle wrote: »
    ya can't just throw in a line where ya feel like it. If youre splittin 25 into two triangles, then why not split 78 or any of the others like?

Because the 51 and 78 are already split, as are the 34 and 43.

Axwell wrote:
    I suggest you go back to primary school maths where this question was supposed to come from.

Why would I go back to primary school maths when you dont even know the answer.
    Axwell wrote:
    78 & 25 are in the shape of a traingle that exists already, if you look at the original image its easy to see the clear triangles present in the picture. 12.5 is not a traingle, it doesnt exist as a triangle in the original image, simple as that.

Show me the solution so.
    You are on about creating a brand new line just for yourself to make it into two traingles which is just ridiculous.

Is it, do you have the answer then?
    You obviously didnt see the show or the rules and the way it was explained.

Yeah I obviously didnt, I solely tracked down this thread and decided to annoy you.

"all of the numbers in all of the triangles" sounds like it was you who didnt see the show or the way it was explained.

I suggested you go back to primary school as you fail to have grasped the basic geometry behind a traingle, also there is no line splitting any numbers, it is one triangle layered on top of another, if you look at the shapes you would see the triangles and if you saw the show and the rules you would see that you dont go drawing lines where you like to make new shapes..:rolleyes:

a simple game of spot the difference for you.

a simple game of spot the difference for you.

Ya the difference is someone who wasnt watching the show or doesnt know the rules went and drew an extra line that doesnt exist or isnt allowed. This point seems to be going over your head, you cant draw the line therefore your theory or answer or anything else is invalid. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think I have the solution -- they asked the young lady in the picture what the answer was, and she said "sex 22" :D

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

I've just wasted 2 hours of my life trying to work this out. :(

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Would anyone who recorded this be able to give us the exact wording of what was asked.

There's usually a slant to these things - like add the numbers in all the triangles could be interpeted as only add the numbers that appear in all the possible triangles. Then you take each number that appears in all of them and add this up for each time it appears. Then add the 2 numbers it's made from together and add them on etc etc and eventually arrive at an off the wall answer. Devil is in the detail.

Does anyone have the exact language used ?

and anyone saying English will be set upon ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

Ok, this is probably nothing, but has anyone noticed that the number 4 is written differently in "34" and "43"? The number 4 in "34" is made of a small triangle, the other one isn't......... maybe "34" is actually 3.......

Even with that I can't recreate the number 622, I now get 869 instead of 993 :mad:

• Advertisement

lad, how are you not gettin this? seriously, the puzzle is what it is. If you can throw a line in where ya feel like it, than why not somethin like this:

picture.php?albumid=672&pictureid=3417

i understand that there's subterfuge and trickery with that crowd, but the point is, if ya can add in one line when ya feel like it, whats to stop ya addin in 5, or 10 or a million?

Does anyone have the exact language used ?

" Add all the numbers in all the triangles" was the instruction - screen capture in post #41. Host also said " use each number only once" which throws any calculation, including the magical 622 answer, out the bloody window. All this aside, if the answer was gettable , I think it's fair to assume that they would have shown viewers how it was reached. The fact they went immediately off the air raises suspision to say the least in my eyes.

I dont think the wording was "each number only once" it was more along the lines of "dont count any number more times than it needs to or count the same numbers again"..along the same lines as what you wrote i know but the only writing on screen was "add all the numbers in all the triangles". I think its obvious that 622 isnt achievable and is just some random number that no one would guess unless told. There was a similar one last night count the hearts of which there was 22 or so and the answer was 119 which suprisingly no one guessed before the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Get a confirmation letter from the BCC in relation to my complaint that I emailed to them
    Its been forwarded to TV3 and they have 21 days to reply.

....119 which suprisingly no one guessed before the end.
    Is that sarcasm I detect, Axwell ? :D

dodzy wrote: »
    Is that sarcasm I detect, Axwell ? :D

No way..never...ok ok maybe a little :D

I had counted 19 or 22 depending what way you looked at it, how shocked was I when the answer was 119 until i remembered that all maths and logic goes out the window and I would have been better just picking some random number and guessing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lynchtp

I dont think the wording was "each number only once" it was more along the lines of "dont count any number more times than it needs to or count the same numbers again"..along the same lines as what you wrote i know but the only writing on screen was "add all the numbers in all the triangles". I think its obvious that 622 isnt achievable and is just some random number that no one would guess unless told. There was a similar one last night count the hearts of which there was 22 or so and the answer was 119 which suprisingly no one guessed before the end.
    yeah i got 19 or 22 also. however if you counted the bandsof colour as hearts(between each line) then it came to about 44 (i think) 41 if you use the same logic behind getting 19 (not counting hollow hearts)

still how the hell can you get 119 or from the night 622

Right then
    \adopts mod hat

Healio: Cold showers for a month
    Stealdo: Cold soup for a week.

It might be a good idea for EVERYONE to read the charter to see how you should behave. No more back seat modding or personal abuse. Please use the report post function.

Your friendly Mod,

Papa Smut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Cheers Papa,

Any ideas yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Must wait for that reply, hang them out to dry!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement