Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you give names to cats you don't own?

Options
  • 03-07-2009 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Not a problem at all but just wondering for my own curiosity (killed the cat;)).

To cut a long story short, we used to refer to neighbourhood cats by names we thought suited them. In our last placed we had one called "Sean Kelly" as he had high cheekbones akin to a friends son, and another one called "Martina" as we suspected that she may be the mother of SK.

In our new neighbourhood we named a cat "Buddy" as we thought he was friendy to ours - not so. Turned out he is the king of the area and bullys ours something terrible. There is another one who has been labelled "the bad cat" as he got into a fight with our male and antibiotics were needed. The name has stuck.

Does anyone else humanise the roamers in their localities?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Ha ha thats funny!! We dont name the cats and dogs, plenty of name for the neighbourhood kids though!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

yeah, we do!

at my parents there's a 'Hoover' as he eats everything in sight, and a 'Cleo' as i thought she looked like an eygyptian cat (CLeopatra) who it turns out is called ZigZag by her own people. :D

in our old place we were overrun with feral cats and i had names for a few; 'Rufus', 'Suki' (who temporarily moved in, gave birth on my couch and moved out with the kitten!) and Maurice

one of our cats that lives with us now started out as a feral in the garden and my son named her 'Blue'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I've names all the feral cats that roam through our back garden. There's Big Ginge, Little Ginge and Baby Ginge, Mange (has bits of fur falling off, quite worried about him actually), Mange's brother, Flat Ears (has flat ears), Gizmo (just looks like a Gizmo!), Fluffy, Tabby and Panther. Anyone who's visited us has caught onto the names immediatley. It's fun, just by glancing out the window you get to know them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Lol I named one of the tame kittens in work 'Little Monty' last year - we used to call our old boss Monty (after Mr Burns) so it was half of to annoy him and half after the Simpsons episode where Burns takes the greyhound puppies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Two cats have wantered into our lives in the past 3 months. Don't know who owns them but they are happy to stay at out place. The kids have named them "Fat Cat" & "Scaredy Cat". The names really suit.

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

yeah i do .andy smee joe kelly dora dillon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Yup, the names of the local feral cats & kittens that occasionally stop by include Bob Buttons, Tom Buttons, Beatrice Buttons, Claire Danes, Kit Danes, Ronnie Danes, Freckes, Michael (a black kitten named after the late Michael Jackson), Dadcat, Sadcat, Phantom Cat and Davina. Um, yeah. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

Our regular visitors are Camouflage Cat- a tabby, able to sneak in unnoticed and gobble up our cat's dinner. Shirty- wearing a white dress shirt to go with his black coat. Josephine- with a coat of many colours. Hooli(gan), a British Blue. Heard them once described as the Hooligans among cats,though that one is real friendly and gentle.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Loving all the replies. Keep them coming.

When we moved to our new house, hubby found a wee kitten on the way home from pub one night. She was a tabby just like our female Minnie. Very alike, so while we had her, we called her "Mini Minnie". She's now happily rehomed and called Polly.

There was also a dog who used to run around who had the same colouring (white chin, feet and belly - rest black) as the cat "Sean Kelly". We referred to him as "The Sean Kelly Dog". Haven't a clue what his owners called him (or any of the cats I mentioned in previous post). He seemed to disappear about a year ago. Hope he's OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

We've got Sawn-off, a black, tailless bully who terrorises our cats and Bagpuss, who just flops down on the mat outside the front door and sleeps for hours. We have to step over him to get into the house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

There's 2 cats that frequently visit us, the ginger fella we call Mr Peep, because at the beginning he was always peeping out at us from under the cars, the shrubs etc.
    And then there's Mr Big, who is an enormous black cat. he is really gentle and extremely well looked after , but he just barrels into the house as soon as the door is open, scoffs all the food, asks for more and then heads off to the next house:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

In the old house we had a few ferals that lived under our shed.

Spot and darky who used to sleep on top of our tumble dryer(and were becoming really tame until the black widow nextdoor called animal control and got them taken away)

Puss who had her kittens under our stairs(they all died except for one who we had to feed by syringe for a few weeks)he turned into a dog -like cat who we called shadow,he loved to play fetch and used to follow us everywhere,followed me to the bus stop one morning and was still there when I got home that evening!

In the new house there's one we call patch,who brings us dead mice,worms and cooked sausages!

Advertisement