Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the thanks button

Options
  • 03-07-2009 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

you know the way below each post there is a little thumbs up? what about if we had one for thumbs down. if you didn't like someones post or disagreed with them you could click this button to show your disagreement.

it could be a handy thing to have not completely pointless but interesting if you know what I mean
    and like above, 'tis just a suggestion :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I've thought about that too but it wouldn't work. First off, you'll have idiots who'll abuse the system (nobody will annoy somebody by giving a thumbs up, but giving thumbs down will), and secondly, if you have any opposing opinion to anyone (as is the nature of discussion) they could just thumb you down for merely disagreeing.

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having a discussion forum in the first place, though?

If you disagree with something somebody says, you're meant to reply: hence, a discussion. Just having a thumbs down button would, in my opinion, destroy that; I'd bet that many people wouldn't even bother replying to a lot of threads.

Besides, wasn't there a "similar" system in place before? Karma or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

What about giving people a quota, say one thumbs up and one thumbs down per 100 postcount. It would reward the frequent users, stop people from abusing the system and make people value their up's and down's much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

TheManWho wrote: »
    What about giving people a quota, say one thumbs up and one thumbs down per 100 postcount. It would reward the frequent users, stop people from abusing the system and make people value their up's and down's much more.
    like I said its just a suggestion this could be one way of getting around it maybe we could have the thumbs up quota the same as normal but less thumbs down? that way you wont just seem like a trigger happy angry bastard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

This has been asked for many times. It's very, very unlikely to be implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Conor wrote: »
    This has been asked for many times. It's very, very unlikely to be implemented.
    okey dokey!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement