Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gear Travel Tips!?!

• 03-07-2009 1:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I am off to Italy and I have made the decision to bring along my DLSR. Italy like all big European cities is known to have quite a bit of crime, especially robbery.

I have locked the straps of my lowpro to the bag to avoid the bag being snatched. I have also locked the two zippers at the main part of the bag together so no one can rob any of my expensive gear.

3682474829_b34b03d995.jpg
    3683285204_8eea3a7b24.jpg
    3682474591_9fb604356a.jpg
    On the footpath I will wear the bag on the opposite side to the passing traffic so that no scooters can snatch it and be off. In the metro & train I will keep the bag at my feet (strap trough leg) & carry it as hand luggage on the flight. I will also give my travel insurance & make sure its covered.

So has anyone got any precautions that you have carried out or thought of?
    Or think I should do something above different?
    Any scaring stories that you have heard of or sadly been involved in?
    Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

If i was a mugger and i see you with a bag,Covered in padlocks,I'd automatically assume the gear in it is pretty important and would want to rob it...

Also what happens if you want to take a quick shot of something??

Also,Most muggers are probably in their twenties and fairly strong,If they see your bag on the metro they'll just wait,Just till when the doors will be about to automatically close,And grab the bag and run if you fall it's not their problem,when they get outside the door they'll just walk off like nothing happened and no one on the platform will notice and you'll be stuck in the train driving away,This happens commonly with handbags,Phones,Ipods etc on some rougher spots of the underground in London,Again the first thing i'd notice would be the big padlocks all over the bag

Also,Knife/scissors to the strap will make quick work of getting through it,You're better off with a cheap looking back pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

Definitely get rid of the padlocks, brings way too much attention your way. If I saw anyone with 2 padlocks on a bag, I'd be interested in knowing what you had in it. I'm sure a mugger would go to greater lengths to try and find out what you have in there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Locks draw far too much attention in my view, I'd loose them and just watch your bag like a hawk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I'd pretty much agree with what everyone has said so far, about the padlocks. My advice I know it sounds strange but what I do is try and blend in, not to look like I'm asking to be robbed, I usually keep an eye out for people that are acting suspiciously even those that aren't looking sus. I'm not saying I look like some paranoid freak, but I have seen some of the most interesting things being handed-off in broad daylight. Make sure you know where your bag is I wouldn't but your bag at your feet in a Subway or bus situation.

And the most important thing is HAVE A GOOD TIME, TAKE LOADS OF SHOTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Hey again,
    Thanks for commenting. I guess it does draw attention. I know the lowpro bags are safe enuff as they have the buckle at front & then the zip. It's so easy in a crowded train to open a zipper stick in your hand and grab a flash, then run!
    Any one have any other suggestions?
    Ricky91t wrote: »
    back pack

I don't think I'll go for a back pack. They are behind you & you can't see them. At least the lowpro is beside you. You can through & eye down regularly.
    No?

• Advertisement

padocon wrote: »
    Hey again,
    Thanks for commenting. I guess it does draw attention. I know the lowpro bags are safe enuff as they have the buckle at front & then the zip. It's so easy in a crowded train to open a zipper stick in your hand and grab a flash, then run!
    Any one have any other suggestions?

I don't think I'll go for a back pack. They are behind you & you can't see them. At least the lowpro is beside you. You can through & eye down regularly.
    No?

Just a suggestion,You see a shoulder bag usually used to carry camera/video equipment etc,And thus would draw attention to it,When as a back pack would just be seen as a "tourist bag" depending on what kind of bag you use,And would more a less not be noticed due to loads of people using them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Get a shoulder strung bag, one with thick straps like the Crumpler (Uses a similar material as seatbelts), they'll have a zip, which you'll notice being opened, or velcro and straps, which you'll hear if someone goes near it. It's around your side aswell, so it is in your vision the whole time. You can take your camera out whenever you need it, and it frees your back up to carrying the serious loads, rather than a camera bag.

If you're very worried about your expensive gear getting nicked, why don't you buy a cheap film SLR/rangefinder to bring along - They'll stand up to a lot of abuse, if it gets robbed, well, it's nicer than getting your DSLR robbed. I usually bring along a rangefinder when I'm going on holidays (Even if I'm bringing my digital kit along aswell) - It just means I can take it out if I don't want to produce a 5D with 24-70 in the middle of a marketplace, and they're far quieter too, which is handy.

Just a suggestion,You see a shoulder bag usually used to carry camera/video equipment etc,And thus would draw attention to it,When as a back pack would just be seen as a "tourist bag" depending on what kind of bag you use,And would more a less not be noticed due to loads of people using them

No, shoulder bag = manbag. I'd see a big backpack with LOWEPRO as something full of expensive gear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I use a leather pouch that goes around the waist. It has pockets which hold filters, spare cards & batteries. The main compartment can fit quite a bit. I have had my SB600, SLR Zoom Gorilla Pod an two of the Sigma 10-20/Nikon 18-200/Nikon 50 lenses in there.

The Camera is out ready to take pictures. If it's in a bag it's almost as bad as it being at home.

bedlam wrote: »
    If you feel like spending money pick up a Flipside 300 to carry your gear. Other than a small side pocked that can hold pens / memory cards, the only access is via the back preventing anyone getting at your gear while you are wearing it. The bag is thick enough that it will be relatively resistant to cutting. It also fits perfectly in an overhead cabin lockers or under the seat. There is a larger version, 400, but it has compartments that can be accessed while it is being worn

You could also consider modifying your shoulder bag and camera with PacSafe straps which would go some way towards preventing a cut and grab.

They all look really good. My only worry with the 2 bags is that you would have to take them off to take out the camera. No?
    They really do look like normal tourist bags, which Rich also suggested. Only bother is the loepro logo. More lightly to hold extra valuables!

The pac safe looked really good & I honestly didn't even think of someone slashing the neck piece & running with the camera.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Get a shoulder strung bag, one with thick straps like the Crumpler (Uses a similar material as seatbelts), they'll have a zip, which you'll notice being opened, or velcro and straps, which you'll hear if someone goes near it. It's around your side aswell, so it is in your vision the whole time. You can take your camera out whenever you need it, and it frees your back up to carrying the serious loads, rather than a camera bag.

If you're very worried about your expensive gear getting nicked, why don't you buy a cheap film SLR/rangefinder to bring along - They'll stand up to a lot of abuse, if it gets robbed, well, it's nicer than getting your DSLR robbed. I usually bring along a rangefinder when I'm going on holidays (Even if I'm bringing my digital kit along aswell) - It just means I can take it out if I don't want to produce a 5D with 24-70 in the middle of a marketplace, and they're far quieter too, which is handy.

I definitely think I will take my gear. The photos after are wort the risk!
    No, shoulder bag = manbag. I'd see a big backpack with LOWEPRO as something full of expensive gear.
    You beat me! Ha ha. I just sayd that.

Shoulder bag,wouldn't really = a man bag?Man bag's are small things
    Man Bag:
    man_bag_front.jpg

Shoulder Bag:
    lowepro_nova4_300x250_s.jpg

The camera bag just seems to be more wider and solid than a man bag,Making it very easy to be noticed..

Something like this would be good,Low key,Cheap and still a camera bag
    41CbG4K4PFL._SS400_.jpg

Thanks for all the posts so far!
    What about if I just locked the zip part ie the 2 zips together. I mean if someone comes to steal it they all ready know its valuable. The lock will just prevent them from opening it. People do it with suite cases.
    Maybe a smaller lock?

padocon wrote: »
    Thanks for all the posts so far!
    What about if I just locked the zip part ie the 2 zips together. I mean if someone comes to steal it they all ready know its valuable. The lock will just prevent them from opening it. People do it with suite cases.
    Maybe a smaller lock?

And what happens if you want to take a photo:confused:
    You may as well leave the bag in the hotel room and just run back for it...

If someone take the bag,A lock won't stop them from getting in..

I don't really think they'll be selectively going through the bag they'd just take the bag

Shoulder bag,wouldn't really = a man bag?Man bag's are small things
    Man Bag:
    man_bag_front.jpg

Shoulder Bag:
    Ricky, that's a laptop bag :)

The Lowepro bags look like gear bags. Have a look at Crumplers range of bags - they fit in a bit more with 'everyday' gear. I don't know if this link will work directly into the flash site, but I'll give it a go;

https://www.crumplerbags.com/flash/flash.aspx#/english/product-details/8-million-dollar-home-md0810a.html

They're based on messenger bags, and sturdy as hell.

And what happens if you want to take a photo:confused:
    You may as well leave the bag in the hotel room and just run back for it...

If someone take the bag,A lock won't stop them from getting in..

If someone tries putting their hand in they can't its locked.
    If they run with it then they do, and they can just remove the lock. I know it won't prevent that, its to prevent "pick pockets"

I will only lock it in busy places, entrances, bus, train, metro ect.
    When ever I am traveling & not using the camera
    I'm not going to be over protective.

Ricky, that's a laptop bag :)

The Lowepro bags look like gear bags. Have a look at Crumplers range of bags - they fit in a bit more with 'everyday' gear. I don't know if this link will work directly into the flash site, but I'll give it a go;

https://www.crumplerbags.com/flash/flash.aspx#/english/product-details/8-million-dollar-home-md0810a.html

They're based on messenger bags, and sturdy as hell.

Pretty Small laptop bag :pac:

Homepage-MANBAG-image.jpg

The crumpler looks nice and safe..

bedlam wrote: »
    If you do that, get a pacsafe strap. If you go with the assumption that you believe you will be a target and that the thief thinks the bag contains valuables as it has a padlock on it, they will try to remove the bag from your person. The quickest way to do that is to cut the shoulder strap.

The simplest thing to do is make sure the camera is insured. No point ruining a holiday worrying about what may or may not happen. Keep full memory cards on your person or in the hotel rather than in the bag. That way should your camera get robbed you still have some photos and you can let insurance sort out a replacement.

Use common sense, if you feel you are in a dodgy situation find a quick exit. If you are travelling with someone just keep an eye out for each other and you should be grand.

Thanks I am traveling with others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I have a slingshot 300 and used it in New York no problem. Infact I saw quite a few people wandering around with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Pretty Small laptop bag :pac:

Homepage-MANBAG-image.jpg

The crumpler looks nice and safe..

Crumpler are among the most expensive of bags. Looking at more then 100euro for a decent one. You would get a very good lowepro bag in 7dayshop.com for less then 30 euro.

Keep the memory cards seperate to the camera bag. At least if the worst comes to worst you will still have your shots.

And make sure the gear is covered by the travel insurance, get it in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Get one of these
    917919.JPG

and then put this under it

and you will look like this
    0505F736-D653-825E-05FD4EE505DC615E.jpg
    Totally blend into the crowds:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

heading off to Italy in a few weeks also - anyone recommend a company for kit insurance - have no other form of insurance so can't add it on - just looking for something to cover camera and lense. (doing a trawl through the web at the moment also)

also re bags - have a lowpro which opens from the side protected by your back - would take some effort for anyone to grab it or cut it off so I'd say it seems a safe choice (bag looks awful though!) locks definitly make you stand out in a crowd just take normal precautions and don't take your eyes off it in crowded places/try to stand against a wall

If you have a lowepro (or similar) bag, i'd simply de-badge it, as the fancier the bag implies the more expensive the contents. After that just do what my girlfriend does when abroad - never let it out of your sight!
    You run the risk of spoiling your holiday if your totally hung up on possibility of camera getting robbed. Do you go to such lengths over your wallet?

If you have a lowepro (or similar) bag, i'd simply de-badge it, as the fancier the bag implies the more expensive the contents. After that just do what my girlfriend does when abroad - never let it out of your sight!
    You run the risk of spoiling your holiday if your totally hung up on possibility of camera getting robbed. Do you go to such lengths over your wallet?

No, ha ha.
    Camera means more than my wallet anyway! I never thought the thread would be so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

You could probably replace some of those locks with cable ties?

I've gone for the "man bag" approach, the only thing is if you've a bunch of gear and you're walking a lot a backpack is more comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Can anyone recommend a travel insurance agency that'll comprehensively cover gear?

Nisio wrote: »
    You could probably replace some of those locks with cable ties?

I've gone for the "man bag" approach, the only thing is if you've a bunch of gear and you're walking a lot a backpack is more comfortable

But wouldn't cable ties require a knife to open? That'll be fun in the airport.... and you've need a packet of them to re-secure the bag each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

lol, Airports don't like people with knives getting on the planes either ;)

I honestly didn't worry about my gear this much when I was in Italy - I was there on my school tour in TY, brought my gear in a lowepro slingshot, and I just had fun tbh. Fcuk worrying about gear 24/7, you're more likely to get robbed in Dublin than you are over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Go to Italy; have fun, take photos, don't worry.

• Advertisement

lol, Airports don't like people with knives getting on the planes either ;)

I honestly didn't worry about my gear this much when I was in Italy - I was there on my school tour in TY, brought my gear in a lowepro slingshot, and I just had fun tbh. Fcuk worrying about gear 24/7, you're more likely to get robbed in Dublin than you are over there.
    Burnt wrote: »
    Go to Italy; have fun, take photos, don't worry.

Ha ha.
    I will have fun thanks everyone.
    I am getting ride of the 2 locks & just using the one to zip the 2 zips together. It can not be seen unless you open the buckle.
    Thanks very much for your help everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I was in Rome, Naples and Amafi coast earlier this year walked around everywhere with my camera out and gear in a backpack. Never had a problem, but did watch out and my wife watched my pack when we were on the metro or trains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I hang a couple of these off my bag to help strap things like my monopod or fold-up stool to it. They also double up to keep zips shut. Not fool proof by any means, but they are awkward to get open in a hurry when you have two of them brought together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

whyulittle wrote: »
    I hang a couple of these off my bag to help strap things like my monopod or fold-up stool to it. They also double up to keep zips shut. Not fool proof by any means, but they are awkward to get open in a hurry when you have two of them brought together.

Been doing this myself for a couple of years now too.:D
    They come in handy for other things while traveling. I put the handles of plastic bags through them and carry the carabiner or if I need both hands and the bag is light I clip it on my belt of beltloop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

Maybe if you sew one of these to your backpack! :pac:

n5412.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It used to be the case up to a few years ago that if you saw what looked like an SLR, it was by definition an expensive piece of kit but that is not the case anymore. I bought a Canon Powershot S50 several years ago and it cost about 500 euros, an SLR back then cost even more.

Nowadays with bridge cameras and cheaper SLRs it's very difficult for a prospective thief to identify an expensive camera from a distance so most of the time they're after easy picking like wallets and ladies bags which they can be sure contain cash. I've been in Italy loads of times and like the other posters say, when you're in tourist areas, try not to look conspicuous, be alert without appearing to be paranoid and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Rb wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a travel insurance agency that'll comprehensively cover gear?

Hibearnan Aviva cover mine under House insurance policy "All risks".
    It covers any part of my gear up to 1,200 euro (ie thats per item) eg my camera. And all gear up to a total cost of 24,000 euro.

Maybe if you sew one of these to your backpack! :pac:

n5412.jpg

Airport security would be very happy to see a bag with that on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Rb wrote: »
    www.heritageinsurancegroup offer a comprehensive package to all involved in any aspects of photography. They are well established and very competitive. Based in Glasnevin, Dublin. Well worth a call.

Balfey1972 will be able to help you with this. Send him a P.M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Maybe scope out where your going before you head there with your gear too. I would say you would be alright in a touristy area, even if the countrys got a bad rep, simply because there so many random tourists with SLRs that your protected by the odds. Just bring what you need instead of your full kit of lenses. Dont bother with padlocks, they only help against pickpockets and who is going to pickpockt a half kilo SLR, you would notice instantly, most thiefs just want to grab stuff unnoticed, not have a big hollywood style chase through a crowd.

Advertisement