Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - is it actually gaining popularity in Ireland?

• 03-07-2009 6:42am

I've read that more and more people are taking up knitting. Is knitting on the increase over here my fashion gurus ? Do you know friends who are taking up knitting ? It's something I've admired from a strict distance (i like the idea of people making scarves or beanie hats for example - sounds kind of cool and different)

So what I'm asking here is, is knitting on the increase in Ireland ? Would you knit 'things' ?

Is knitting on the increase? 14 votes

I knit ALL the time
    0% 0 votes
    I occasionally knit
    14% 2 votes
    I would be interested in knitting and taking it up
    50% 7 votes
    I have no intention of knitting now or in the future
    21% 3 votes
    Knitting? I'm not a granny !
    14% 2 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

I saw people knitting in a pub on Georges st last week. I'd love to take it up again but i haven't heard much about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I've started to crochet recently, moving to colder climes in September so making myself a nice colourful blanket. I do it when watching tv, find it strangely relaxing. Don't think I'm quite at the beanie stage yet though :p

That's really cool. The article I was reading said that due to the recession globally, more and more people are turning to knitting as a traditional way to entertain themselves while doing something productive. That's quite cool.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I knit all the time, I only taught myself last year and I love it. Just finishing off a cardigan for myself at the moment. In the past while I've knitted a few scarves, 3 baby hats (one with the bunneh ears), 2 sets of booties, 4 cardigans for small people and a big dirty blanket.

I'm going to be making some berets and shawls soon and then have to make a beanie and gloves to match my purple scarf as I bought rakes of the wool.

It's so relaxing, once you're hands know what they're doing you can leave them to it and just do a count every so often.

I also have a stich counter on my iPhone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There are some very good free online tutorial videos for knitting and crocheting. You can learn complex stitches very easily using them and that gives you more scope to make more interesting and intricate pieces. I go through phases with it. It always seems like more of a thing to do while watching tv in the winter so I haven't made anything in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'd love to be able to knit! I was taught in fifth class and was so bad at it. I got my auntie to do most of it for me. But now...! I'd love to knit some mittens and chunky hairbands/ear warmers for winter.

I also tried crochet. No can do. I have big ol' clumsy hands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Twee. wrote: »
    I also tried crochet. No can do. I have big ol' clumsy hands!
    This youtube user does beginner tutorials, I used to think the same, until she cured me :D
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tjw1963

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I saw people knitting in a pub on Georges st last week. I'd love to take it up again but i haven't heard much about it.

During the winter myself and a few friends used to knit in the pub, it was great fun even if slighty-drunken knitting isn't the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Knitting is just brill.
    you have got to join www.ravelry.com if you are not members already
    I am in the Wicklow knitters group and we have such a laugh meeting up for loads of cake and coffee. One of the girls is opening a new yarn/wool shop in Ashford, Co. Wicklow tomorrow morning 10am and you would be amazed at the stunning wool she has. None of this pale pink, pale blue and pale yellow matinee coats our grannies knitted.
    She has a website called www.theyarnroom.com and have a look!

Advertisement