Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies taken off our streets yesterday!.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Does anyone actually know why our Guardai don't give a toss about this crime? I work at Georges Quay from time to time, and around Tara Street/Butt bridge, I've seen all sorts of Junkie related shenanigans. I've also seen it go on in front of the Gardai:confused: Also, I seen two junkies openly flaunt their dealings 'I mean right next' to a Garda at O'Connell bridge:confused: On that same day, in fact within 30 mins, there was 2 Gardai moving on a Busker in Grafton street:confused: I feckin Lament this city, I really do:(:mad:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Yeah tell me about it, i've to work in the four courts every day. Anyway yeah people don't want to see them getting battered half dead but some use of force to get them off the streets is necessary. There should be some kind of patrol , assign a few cars to it, just getting them to clear off, eventually they'd get the picture and hopefully move their business somewhere else. Or we could designate a certain area for them to do all their stuff.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Yeah ship them all to Hamsterdam!

Certainly the idea of a Hamsterdam has quite a lot going for it, at least as a temporary solution.

For those who haven't watched 'The Wire,' Hamsterdam was the name given to a run-down area of Baltimore where drugs were 'legalised,' the idea being that it would remove the junkies and delaers from the rest of the city.

It's obviously very difficult to implement, but it has its merits. Give up an estate in the suburbs and effectively give it to the dealers. Move any remaining residents out and relocate them, heavily police the perimeters, crack down hard on any dealers found outside the designated drug zone and hopefully sit back and watch the junkies leave the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

Is a heroin user worse than a cocaine user?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Interesting question. I keep thinking of blunt and sharp. I would give the heroin addict the blunt quality, the cocaine user\addict the sharp. Both a pain in the arse to be around.

Both drugs are very 'me' drugs, abusers usually can't see past the end of their own nose, both in their immediate needs and the ego.

I don't have much sympathy. I might have had in the past, but living right in the middle of Dublin for years cures you of that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

DTrotter wrote: »
    Is a heroin user worse than a cocaine user?

Opposite sides of the same coin IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

This would be a good idea for an undercover tv crew to expose the scandal of Gardai turning their backs on the problem.

I got the impression from reading the story about the raids was that they didnt touch the dealers/junkies as they were monitoring them under that Garda Feeder Operation this week so as not to blow their cover.

So it looks like its back to square one and just a publicity stunt. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Sad to report that the vermin are back, but I noticed this morning that in trying not to draw so much attention on themselves that they're actually spread out a lot further than normal (at least around the Butt Bridge junction).

Today the rats spread from O'Connell Bridge down as far as the Matt Talbot bridge on both sides of the river, up Marlboro St and the Townsend St/Luke St/Moss St & Pierce St.

They make my skin crawl.

Why do you insist on referring to human beings as vermin and rats? You're supposed to be a moderator on this forum - you could start by moderating your own language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

yes time for Dublin to reclaim its streets. those junkies a nuisance. but moving them on only shifts the problem elsewhere. someone else will have to deal with them. put simply its about cutting their supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The Gardai would have their hands full if they had to arrest 14,000 junkies per day.
    This operation was most likely carried out as a PR stunt as a Slowmotion said, just to be seen to be doing something. The Gardai can't change the circumstances that cause junkies to congregate in town.
    If they were to arrest all of them there would be nowhere to put them and a waste of valuable time, money & resources. They would be out again in the next few days doing the same thing, just like now. Pissing against the wind tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

dvpower wrote: »
    Why do you insist on referring to human beings as vermin and rats? You're supposed to be a moderator on this forum - you could start by moderating your own language.

I've just popped over from the Athletics forum to back you up on this. I'm surprised as I know that Makikomi is a strong but fair moderator and I would have hoped that, as with our 'characters of Dublin', he might have a little empathy at least with those who have fallen on the wrong side of the tracks. There but for the grace of God etc.

Not denying there is a huge issue btw...

• Advertisement

Warning issued for back seat moderating.
    RoyMcC wrote: »
    I've just popped over from the Athletics forum to back you up on this. I'm surprised as I know that Makikomi is a strong but fair moderator and I would have hoped that, as with our 'characters of Dublin', he might have a little empathy at least with those who have fallen on the wrong side of the tracks. There but for the grace of God etc.

Your verging on one, actually since you came over from another forum just to post this consider this a warning for trolling too.

If anyone else wants to test me, go ahead but in the mean time I'd appricate you took your bleeding hearts to the street cretins we're talking about - I think they might need a big hug.

RoyMcC wrote: »

I fully agree with you on that, but I don't see any great solution to dealing with junkies on the streets; moving them about does nothing to solve the problem. Arresting common or garden junkies is just a temporary reprieve.

Granted, allowing junkies take and trade drugs in open view seems mad.

Referring to them as rats and vermin is pretty disgusting. They are people whose circumstances I wouldn't wish on anyone. I can't imaging any of them set out to become junkies. I see them as pathetic figures.

I fully agree with you on that, but I don't see any great solution to dealing with junkies on the streets; moving them about does nothing to solve the problem. Arresting common or garden junkies is just a temporary reprieve.

Granted, allowing junkies take and trade drugs in open view seems mad.

Referring to them as rats and vermin is pretty disgusting. They are people whose circumstances I wouldn't wish on anyone. I can't imaging any of them set out to become junkies. I see them as pathetic figures.

If you want to be so prissy arsed about it even they refer to themselves as 'Addicts' and not "junkies", get this one straight before getting lippy about it with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Anyone see yesterdays news and the video clips from around Butt Bridge (Boardwalk), Christchurch and the Merchants Quay area's?.

The Guard's ran an operation code named 'Feeder' aimed at ridding the streets of its vermin, I wonder if I'll see the same dirty back in their usual places on my travels today, I suspect I will.

From yesterdays Indo.

And in another welcomed turn of events Gardai will patrol the LUAS on the weekends to combat anti-social activity on the line - FROM THE INDO

The vermin have to feed their habit so I suspect they'll come crawling back soon enough.

Sad to report that the vermin are back, but I noticed this morning that in trying not to draw so much attention on themselves that they're actually spread out a lot further than normal (at least around the Butt Bridge junction).

Today the rats spread from O'Connell Bridge down as far as the Matt Talbot bridge on both sides of the river, up Marlboro St and the Townsend St/Luke St/Moss St & Pierce St.

They make my skin crawl.

Vermin ? What do you want a special Gardai extermination team to just round up anyone labeled and put a bullet in their head ? How is that going to solve social problems ?

For whatever it's worth, funding to drug rehabilitation centres is under threat at the minute.

If you want to be so prissy arsed about it even they refer to themselves as 'Addicts' and not "junkies", get this one straight before getting lippy about it with me.

Your choice of language was over the top. I suspect you know this already.

What does 'getting lippy' mean anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Your choice of language was over the top. I suspect you know this already.

What does 'getting lippy' mean anyway?

You'd probably do better asking yourself why a sizeable population of people in this city are so frustrated and jaded by what is going on, that they refer to certain people as vermin and rats. There is little to be gained by jumping on a high horse telling decent people they are out of line calling junkies (which encompass muggers, burgalars, violent criminals, abusers of passers by etc) such things. More would be gained, if we concentrated on why people are feeling like they are at the end of their tether. People like the mod you are attacking are not the bad guy here!

And btw, here is one of the definitions for Vermin:
    an objectionable or obnoxious person, or such persons collectively.

Seems quite a fair description.

Remember, these people are known to beat up old people for their pension money. Hold up people with Syringes alledgedly full of infected blood etc. Its entirely reasonable to refer to such animalistic characters, in animalistic terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Haven't read the whole thread, but people seem to think the recent operation was aimed at junkies. It wasn't, it was aimed at suppliers.

On a lighter note:

What's the similarity between a junkie and a moped?

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, have yeh got fifty cents, bud? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

JimiTime wrote: »
    You'd probably do better asking yourself why a sizeable population of people in this city are so frustrated and jaded by what is going on, that they refer to certain people as vermin and rats. There is little to be gained by jumping on a high horse telling decent people they are out of line calling junkies (which encompass muggers, burgalars, violent criminals, abusers of passers by etc) such things. More would be gained, if we concentrated on why people are feeling like they are at the end of their tether. People like the mod you are attacking are not the bad guy here!

+1

I feel quite comfortable calling the man who tried to rob me of my wallet on Dame Street in broad daylight 'vermin'. Him whining "i need money for my fix" at me after i freed myself from him by hitting him with my bag makes me feel quite happy in calling him a 'rat'. The sense of entitlement he felt - to touch me, to try to steal my money - I see that in a lot of the drug addicts who agressively take over areas such as the boardwalk.

I wasn't physically hurt, but was in a bit of shock afterwards. The "oh, well, junkie was it? we have your contact details, nothing was actually stolen, right?" from the guards was a little, well, frustrating. These type of incidents go on every day - drug treatment should be funded, but there should also be something done about the blight that these people are on the city.

There's something wrong with Dublin when the city council will send out investigators for noise pollution (and rightly so), but the detriment to quality of life in the city centre created by drug addicts is ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Junkies aren't bad people per sé, but a junkie desperate to get a score will do almost anything. That's when they become bad people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Some are, some aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I was in town last week doin a bit of shooping and was walking over the hapenney bridge. the lights were red and i was looking over towards the big long centra in temple bar.

outside the door there were two scummers and a skinny well dressed guy. I thought oh i hope there not hassling that man, he looked kinda spanish or something.

then he takes out his wallet and hands them money and they hand him something which he pops in his mouth.

they seaperate and walk off.

light turns green.

i walk through the centra because i hate the smell in the archway and whats standing at the other door.

two of our finest gardai, looking at the postcards!!

all i could do was laugh! :rolleyes:

saw the well dressed man stagger out of the pub on the square at the corner a while later.

what hope do we have!

I presume you reported this to the two gardai in between laughing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/this-is-dublin-city-centre-in-broad-daylight-1805877.html , (dont click if you are squeemish of blood)

what the hell is going on when this can hppen in broad daylight in front of hundreds of people(maybe not hundreds,, but alot anyway)

whle im not in favour of the new legislation being brought in people should be allowed to use force to protect themslves and others without the worry of being prosecuted

And btw, here is one of the definitions for Vermin:
    an objectionable or obnoxious person, or such persons collectively.

Seems quite a fair description.

Remember, these people are known to beat up old people for their pension money. Hold up people with Syringes alledgedly full of infected blood etc. Its entirely reasonable to refer to such animalistic characters, in animalistic terms.

Jimi, don't stress over it - I don't.

People living in ivory tower's are best left to stew in their ignorance tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tattoo Stan

Who the fcuk is this little Hitler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If they moved the drug clinics to a posh area of the city, you'd be damn sure the problem would be sorted pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

gurramok wrote: »
    If they moved the drug clinics to a posh area of the city, you'd be damn sure the problem would be sorted pronto.

True. As if that is ever going to happen though. Perhaps it is the planning departments' deliberate attempt at keeping the junkies contained in one area of the city, so they don't 'contaminate' the other fancier areas.

Our friend IanCurtis strikes GETS BANNED again!.

Good work Des.

There is little to be gained by jumping on a high horse telling decent people they are out of line calling junkies (which encompass muggers, burgalars, violent criminals, abusers of passers by etc) such things.

You've got that right Jimi - there is little to be gained. If people choose to use this language, there's probably nothing I can say that will make them change their minds. To be honest, I would have expected a more mature attitude from you. WWJD?.

People like the mod you are attacking are not the bad guy here!

I attacked no one - I just asked for more moderate language. Read the language that I used on this thread and then read the language that was made in relation to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

WWJD?.

Get mugged. Over and over again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement