Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies taken off our streets yesterday!.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

gurramok wrote: »
    If they moved the drug clinics to a posh area of the city, you'd be damn sure the problem would be sorted pronto.

More of my friend's have been mugged in Killiney than in town. Hasn't led to a crack-down on street crime there. :pac:

Seriously though, moving heroin addicts to 'posh' areas seems to suggest that you'd like to see people in posh areas suffer. As if it's somehow their fault.

I've a better idea - drug clinics in the areas people live in, and more guards hired to police those areas. Given how much unemployment there is at the moment, surely the government could hire a few thousand guards on reduced wages and have them patrol areas on foot, in large numbers if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've a better idea - drug clinics in the areas people live in, and more guards hired to police those areas. Given how much unemployment there is at the moment, surely the government could hire a few thousand guards on reduced wages and have them patrol areas on foot, in large numbers if necessary.

In principle thats an excellent idea, however I've been doing some work with the drug treatment clinic in Pierce Street in the last three years and you'd be surprised how many come from "Posh" neighbourhoods.

Although I do contend that a majority with come from working class suburbs and inner city Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Des wrote: »

I got the Red Line Luas on Tuesday at ~7PM, and two very large Eastern European men got on, they were obviously Security Guards of some description, but they looked like soldiers without guns.

Dressed in black they were.

I wouldn't mess with them lads.

Same company as Irish Rail were using.
    The trouble that happens on the red line has been going on since it opened.
    But it was highlighted over two Joe Duffy shows in June and within a few weeks, they introduce more security.
    I definitly think there is a connection. In fact, I'd pay a little extra on a fare if it meant more security.

Not in the morning though, you don't see the troublemakers at 8am on their way to work ;)

As for the drug addicts.
    I pass a clinic on Amiens St everyday.
    They take over the footpath and hang around allllllll day. Have they nowhere to go? There is a training centre for the unemployed across the road. A library 700 metres away. Actually, I'm not I'd want them in the library.
    And further up by the Five Lamps, there is office for supporting people with drug & alcohol problems. Oh and that godawful looking Marino college.

I see facilities everywhere, I don't see them being used.....
    Surely there is somewhere they can go rather then hanging around on the streets all day, no?
    I wouldn't call them vermin or rats though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Get mugged. Over and over again.
    time for a new look. just a theory but i think they target people who they think are a soft touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Seriously though, moving heroin addicts to 'posh' areas seems to suggest that you'd like to see people in posh areas suffer. As if it's somehow their fault.

No. Its a policing/justice issue. I've lived in both deprived and posh areas, the police response in the posh area is 10times better on average than its been in the deprived area hence my point of moving the drugs clinics to a posh area as something would be done about it.

You probably live near me(:)), you'd understand that we have a 'normal' police service.
    Policing in deprived areas has not been fully resourced over the last 30 odd years in my experience, its just wishful thinking they will hire more gardai and put them in deprived areas. You are just creating ghetto's in that scenario.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement