Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban on Blackberries in 'Flight Mode' on Flights

• 03-07-2009 8:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

I've just flown with Ryanair on a domestic flight and it was announced that passengers are not permitted to use Blackberries during the flight, even if they're in flight mode.

Why does that pertain to Blackberries and not other brands that have a flight mode?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I think it might be a brand / product recognition thing rather than any particular technical detail of how the blackberry opeates. Think hoover / vacumm cleaner...

Honestly I don't get the no electronic devices in an airplane...particulalry as ryanair have started doing pico cells encouraging you to use it in air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Yeah, it's all phones with a 'Flight Mode' function.

I was asked to switch off my nokia 6233 completely a few years back. She wouldn't accept that it was in flight mode even when I showed her. She just said that it hadn't been tested so they couldn't take the risk.

Meant I couldn't play java games for the duration of the flight. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Here's the Irish Aviation Authroity's guidance on it:

http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Published%20Files/Circ%20Files/2006/11-06.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

although on 25 of their aircraft it's ok, as they will make money out of it ;)
    http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=inf&quest=mobilephones

more info: OnAir Service

Dardania wrote: »
    Here's the Irish Aviation Authroity's guidance on it:

http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Published%20Files/Circ%20Files/2006/11-06.pdf

Interesting, here's the bit applicable to flight mode
    Caution should be exercised if the use of intentionally transmitting PEDs which claim to
    have ‘plane safe’ or ‘flight safe’ functions is to be allowed in flight. The premise is that the transmitters can be de-activated so as to allow the device to be treated as an
    unintentionally transmitting PED. The aircraft owner/operator remains responsible for
    ensuring that such devices do not interfere with aircraft systems when in ‘plane/flight safe’
    mode. In addition cabin crew procedures and training must address the particular
    difficulties in monitoring the use of such devices during flight.

Seems the IAA don't mind if you allow them or not then, but it's moreso at the airline's discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Hasn't it got to do with interference? They usually don't allow you when taking off or landing as the plane is receiving data, this could be interfered with 5 phones on the plane receiving data.

That's my understanding of it and makes sense to me.
    Dardania wrote: »
    I think it might be a brand / product recognition thing rather than any particular technical detail of how the blackberry opeates. Think hoover / vacumm cleaner...

Honestly I don't get the no electronic devices in an airplane...particulalry as ryanair have started doing pico cells encouraging you to use it in air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,140 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Best thing to do is get an iPhone, and just tell them it's an ipod touch. They won't know the difference, I know I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,311 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think a lot of blackberry owners would be less likely to be able to find flight mode ;)

But guess its hard for cabin crew to deal with phones and smart phones... they should be given a days training or something, since its there job to know what flight mode is. Or given a device that can detect wifi or gsm signals and fine offenders... ryanair would like the extra cash I bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Best thing to do is get an iPhone, and just tell them it's an ipod touch. They won't know the difference, I know I wouldn't.

one of the reasons I chose an iPhone :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Couldn't help it :p

348280630_a6bd1a4fa7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I've just flown with Ryanair on a domestic flight and it was announced that passengers are not permitted to use Blackberries during the flight, even if they're in flight mode

Was this particular service equipped with GSM service. i.e. did they say that you can use you phone but not if it is a Blackberry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Look it is BS, plain and simple.

They just do not know so they stay on the safe side and tell you to turn them off.

Think about this, if phones really were a danger, you can bet you house on them being banned from even been taken on board an aircraft. Imagine if 20 people/boogy men used them to hijack a Ryanair flight.

"OK no one move, take us to (insert latest American enemy) or we take our phones out of flight mode!"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Look it is BS, plain and simple.

They just do not know so they stay on the safe side and tell you to turn them off.

Think about this, if phones really were a danger, you can bet you house on them being banned from even been taken on board an aircraft. Imagine if 20 people/boogy men used them to hijack a Ryanair flight.

"OK no one move, take us to (insert latest American enemy) or we take our phones out of flight mode!"

BSS mode, I'd say - Better safe than sorry. The BB probably haven't been tested yet, because Ryanair can't get their hands on a free one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

whiterebel wrote: »
    BSS mode, I'd say - Better safe than sorry. The BB probably haven't been tested yet, because Ryanair can't get their hands on a free one

Well I've tested it for them by sometimes forgetting to turn my phone off for entire flights. Myth busted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Ok guys I know alot more about radio than the average person and I can say every time I hear the "even in flight mode" warning I completely ignore it, especially since it's easy to convince Ryanair staff that it's a camera. If mobile phones would interfere with air craft, then it'd be more likely that airport beacons (Tell the plane where the runway is) would interfere with air craft radios! And if it was to interfere, it sure as hell wouldn't do it in flight mode! In any case, save your battery by putting it in flight mode because you won't get a signal that'll be strong enough to do anything, particularly over water!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It will take some time for airlines to either take their heads out of the sand or for them to train their staff accordingly in what exactly flight mode is in relation to handsets. Their current mentality isn't helping anyone, so hopefully, with the addition of inflight calls in the future, this will all blow over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Flew Aer Lingus to the states at the beginning of June. The announcement said that phones may be used provided they were in flight mode. If you needed help selecting flight mode you could call the cabin crew....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

mathew wrote: »
    Flew Aer Lingus to the states at the beginning of June. The announcement said that phones may be used provided they were in flight mode. If you needed help selecting flight mode you could call the cabin crew....

Well, that's good to hear. Thankfully there are some airlines that are more clued in than others.

Good ol' Aer Lingus. Beats Ryanair hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Good ol' Aer Lingus. Beats Ryanair hands down.

Not at making money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Not at making money.
    And not going on strike

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Strange - last month the specifically mentioned flight-mode as being disallowed on flights to Paris/ Cork.

Their website isn't much clearer (Help section):

"Limited Use
    (On the ground before the doors close or after doors opened)
    Mobile Phones (except during refuelling).

Restricted Use
    (Devices that are prohibited during Taxi, Take Off, Initial Climb, Approach and Landing)
    Laptops with CD ROM or DVD drive.
    Palmtop organisers.
    Handheld calculators without printers.
    Portable Audio Equipment (eg Walkman, CD player, Mini disc player, iPod, MP3-Player ) must have headsets.
    Computer Games.
    Video cameras and recorders.
    Digital Cameras.
    GPS handheld receivers.
    Electric shavers.
    Electronic Toys (remote control toys are prohibited).

Prohibited At All Times
    Bluetooth devices and devices that use Blackberry technology. "

I suppose that for an airline employee to be able to verify that each device is in flight-mode might be somewhat of a nightmare...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Flew Aer Lingus announcement said that phones may be used provided they were in flight mode.
    parsi wrote: »
    Strange - last month the specifically mentioned flight-mode as being disallowed on flights to Paris/ Cork.

Flew Lingus Sunday last to Europe, flight mode phones were good. Flew Ryanair back Tuesday, service was crap, and no phones allowed at all.

Ryanair did have the 'phone sign' and in flight announcement that flight use phones might be possible but I haven't seen a plane where the system is operational yet.

Advertisement