Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emersion not working !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 03-07-2009 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

hows it goin? went to put on the emersion the other night. when i came back the cylinder was still cold. the red light that comes on when u switch the emersion on doesnt come on since then. i dont think its a fuse cos everything else in the house seems to be working fine. im just wondering could the emersion just burn out??? :confused::confused::confused: any replies would be most greatful. thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yes but the red light would still come on. Are you sure the switch has not tripped in the fuse box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tattoo Stan

immersion from the verb 'immerse'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

immersion from the verb 'immerse'

If you know how to correct him/her you knew what he ment. Dont be such an condesending sh1t and actually advise them rather than think you have the right to correct them

Which of course only our parent do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

exact same thing happened me the other week. i replaced the immesion switch and work again.

there was a fault with my switch. the light still worked but i could not physically move the switches.

repolaced the switch. problem solved

11 euro b&q

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

word of warning.

if you are replacing the swich yourself obviusly isolate the power supply and there is a lot of wires going to the switch. i would recommend either labelling the wires or transferring a wire at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

jaysus stann illl lern hou two spel bfore i cum bak hear agn. sorrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

I know on my tank in the hotpress, under the cap at the top of the cyclinder there is a reset button that needs to be pressed in what this type of issue happens. I far as I know is a safety precaution is the tank gets too hot. Make sure you knock of the power before taking off the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

You'll need to test for power on the secondary side of your switch. As you might have power, but no power going to the sink/bath switch. Would also help to test the resistance of your heating element on the immersion.
    If you have a multimeter and know how to use it for testing for voltage and resistance by all means use it. If not under No circumstances go testing voltage or resistance as you could electrocute yourself.

Regards,
    Bull76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tattoo Stan

If you know how to correct him/her you knew what he ment. Dont be such an condesending sh1t and actually advise them rather than think you have the right to correct them

Which of course only our parent do!

Sorry.

I getting a enfractshun for shoan sum1 how ta spell emersion the propar way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

they go all the time .

plumber here ... the red light being on would mean nothing . the thermostat in the emmersion could be gone , but the best resolve for that would be to replace the emmersion . (not the cylinder)

like all heating elements exposed directly to water corrosion will enevitably take place , changing it is not to much hastle and can be done by either a plumber and in some cases an electrican (be careful though have replaced many a cylinder over the year after a sparks had a go )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You'll need someone who's comfortable with a meter / mains tester to see if it is the switch, thermostat or element. It could even been as simple as a lose connection.

like all heating elements exposed directly to water corrosion will enevitably take place , changing it is not to much hastle and can be done by either a plumber and in some cases an electrican (be careful though have replaced many a cylinder over the year after a sparks had a go )

+1

I replaced an immersion element for a relation last week. The coper sleeve of the element had split open at multiple points and the "element" was busted out and sitting in the water. It was tripping the RCD on the board.

Yea you'll bust the tank if you just try the bruit force approach to taking one out.. cutting away the fibber washer usually helps free it up, but you still need to be careful...

Advertisement