Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hedge for a Small Garden

Options
  • 03-07-2009 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a smallish Garden with 3 houses around the garden. I have a fence around 4 feet going around the garden. The garden slopes at the bottom, I am thinking about maybe putting some soil at the bottom off the fence, so when the hedge grows their, it will be the same level as the other sides. basically I am looking for a hedge at around 8-10 foot that provides good privacy as I have very little at the moment, and also something that is not too wide as I said my garden is smallish and I need to utilise the space I have, also preferably I would like a hedge that does not require to much maintenance. I am a newbie to Gardening

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

A good hedge that can be shapped also would be a privot hedge. Like any hedge you will need to cut it every so often and when it does get too wide you can split it (reduce the width by a certain amount) and it will not kill it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

Thanos wrote: »
    A good hedge that can be shapped also would be a privot hedge. Like any hedge you will need to cut it every so often and when it does get too wide you can split it (reduce the width by a certain amount) and it will not kill it.

thanks any ideas on which trees to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Privet is a type of plant. Makes a good hedge but is a 'greedy' plant and needs a lot of feeding/space. Another option would be either hornbeam or beech - both make a great hedge and can be trimmed to make a pretty narrow hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Dodonea pupurem is a very interesting alternative to traditional screening hedges.

Advertisement